GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
15,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we get notification(s) that in the month of January, our SRX was caught speeding on three different occassions on the same stretch of road.

Of course, since the car is in my name, I'm the one who's been cited.

However, I wasn't the driver. I rarely drive that vehicle. And on one of those occasions, I was actually driving my Fleetwood behind the SRX when the speed camera's flash caught the SRX speeding--so I definitely don't think it's possible to be driving two cars at once.

Further: I don't speed out of habit.

Anyway, so my fiancee was the one driving, as it's her car. And she's fighting the tickets. And now we have a court date. Here's the rub: now I have to show up to fight the tickets, even though they're hers to deal with.

Tell me again how speed cameras are constitutional? You can't face your accuser. They have no way to tell who was driving. And yet, I'm on the hook.

So...how do I go about fighting this? Do I just stand up in court and say, "I wasn't driving." It's the truth! Something tells me, sadly, that truth won't get me far here.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: Sweet Jesus: 3 speed-camera tickets in one month

You should be able to get out of the ticket by proving that you weren't the one driving. Moving violations are issued to people, not vehicles. Just make sure you have good proof that you were somewhere else and you shouldn't have a problem. Other than that, asking if the unit was in specifications(when it was last certified) is another way....

· Registered
11,951 Posts

· Premium Member
2,943 Posts

I thought those cameras were supposed to show the driver and tag number?

· Registered
5,860 Posts

Yes. As long as you can prove or argue that you weren't the person driving, then you should be able to get out of the tickets.

BTW, you are not required to name the drivers of the vehicle at those times. The court cannot expect or assume that you know this information.

Thank God speed-trapping is unlawful in CA. We only have redlight cameras, not speeding cameras.

· Registered
3,532 Posts

Psece makes a good point about asking for the units calibration/certification. I think you would have to supoena that before going to court!

Also, I don't know if this is valid anymore, but you could also supoena the "engineering road survey". This survey is suposed to be done once every 5 yesrs I believe, if it hasn't been done then you could ask for the citation to be dismissed.

· Registered
4,164 Posts

Can you see in the windows of the SRX at all? I would say that if you can see your fiancee's hair, that you could probably prove that it is not you driving.

for example, I was lucky enough to catch the cameras around the 3rd street tunnel, and you can tell it is me driving, rather than my friend Brandy, who has long hair.

If you don't mind my asking, which camera keeps catching her? I know there is one on New York Ave. that gets quite a few people in addition to the one above in the 3rd street tunnel...

-Chase

· Registered
2,420 Posts

Nope - these tickets are issued to the 'car' and not the driver - no points - consider it a tax.

Youll be happy to know that local Police officers are not required to pay since the vehicle they are driving is a Gov one and you cannot tax a gov entity

· Premium Member
15,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Can you see in the windows of the SRX at all? I would say that if you can see your fiancee's hair, that you could probably prove that it is not you driving.

for example, I was lucky enough to catch the cameras around the 3rd street tunnel, and you can tell it is me driving, rather than my friend Brandy, who has long hair.

If you don't mind my asking, which camera keeps catching her? I know there is one on New York Ave. that gets quite a few people in addition to the one above in the 3rd street tunnel...

-Chase
You absolutely cannot tell who's driving. Two of them were at night, and none of them were at the appropriate angle to see the driver.

It was actually in Silver Spring, not DC.

Nope - these tickets are issued to the 'car' and not the driver - no points - consider it a tax.

Youll be happy to know that local Police officers are not required to pay since the vehicle they are driving is a Gov one and you cannot tax a gov entity
I saw the news last night with all of the cops who have received tickets for speeding. They argue they shouldn't have to pay. Then neither should I.

· Banned
11,900 Posts

Tell me again how speed cameras are constitutional? You can't face your accuser. They have no way to tell who was driving. And yet, I'm on the hook.
Thank you. That what I've been always thinking out load. All these stuff are nothing but a way for the government to control us!

You know, you should sue the city for putting speed cameras.

· Registered
1,657 Posts

I don't agree with speeding cameras at all. There are too many "what-ifs" to make them worthwhile, with the biggest being that what if it is wrong? These questions should be answered BEFORE putting such things in service.

· Registered
4,164 Posts

You absolutely cannot tell who's driving. Two of them were at night, and none of them were at the appropriate angle to see the driver.

It was actually in Silver Spring, not DC.
Man, what a bummer. Sorry, I assumed it was DC, because those are the ones I hear the biggest stink about, Surprisingly, I haven't heard anybody mention the Silver Spring ones yet...

-Chase

· Banned
11,900 Posts
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.