1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suzuki Unveils All-New Alto Kei Car in Japan, Averages 2.7 L/100 KM
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Posted by Dan Mihalascu

Suzuki has launched the all-new eighth-generation Alto kei car on the Japanese market. Based on a newly-developed platform, the new Alto is up to 60 kg (132 lbs) lighter and features the lowest fuel consumption among non-hybrid gasoline vehicles in Japan, according to Suzuki.

More specifically, the new Alto returns 37.0km/l according to the JC08 cycle, which is equivalent to just 2.7 l/100 km or 87 mpg US. That’s because the base 2WD Alto with five-speed manual transmission tips the scales at just 610 kg (1,345 lbs).

The new Suzuki Alto obviously won’t turn too many heads with its retro-awkward looks, but is said to have a roomy interior with the longest cabin length (2,040mm) in its class (two-box minicars with an overall height of under 1,550mm), thanks to the longer wheelbase (2,460mm) compared to the previous model.

CONTINUE AT CARSCOOPS.COM

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I've always like these quirky, practical Kei cars and the culture that's sprung up around them in Japan.

I think it looks pretty neat and think it should stand out among it's competitors.

Suzuki has also built Kei cars for rival automakers in Japan, including Mazda and Nissan.

Continuing an earlier arrangement, the Mazda Carol is also "new" and will be sold in the JDM. Here it is below if anyone wants to take a look:

2015 Mazda Carol is a Retro Kei Car We Can’t Get Enough Of [Photo Gallery]
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
30TH DECEMBER 2014

The 660 cc era of the kei car introduced a few regulations that directly affect the styling cues of these little urban dwellers. To sum things up as short as possible, a kei car manufacturer needs to strictly follow the following seven conditions:

3.4 m (11.2 ft) maximum length, 1.48 m (4.9 ft) width, a maximum height of 2 m (6.6 ft), a mill that can’t go over 660 cc and a peppy 63 horsepower, a maximum load capacity of 350 kilograms (771.6 pounds) and a maximum passenger capacity of four occupants.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLTION.COM

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
With a little extra focus on the design, I'd actually like it. But it seems just a little... off. Quirky, fun looking car needing a little extra work.

Reactions: camaro_freak

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Totally my kind of car! I love how light they are! No need for fancy drivetrains for good fuel economy, just hack some weight out of there!

That said, I prefer the looks of the Mazda over the Suzuki. A car like this simply can't be attractive, so may as well up the weird factor.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
BRING IT ON!!! The next Buick!!

But seriously, folks, these can be fun critters. I had a 71 AN600 and if you enjoy running flat out all the time, this is the place to be. Like Beverlee...Hills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_N360

edit: Whoa, whoa horse! THREE cylinder? Man, this sukkah is going to RUN! Run, Forrest, run!

The seventh generation was first shown at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show alongside its sister car, the Mazda Carol. It is available with a 660 cubic centimetres (40 cu in) engine, a 5-speed manual, a 4-speed automatic or a CVT transmission, in FWD or 4WD variants. Under the Japanese 10-15 test cycle, the front-wheel-drive with CVT achieves 24.5 km/litre fuel economy.[27]

In 2011, Suzuki launched the Alto Eco variant, that features the R06A engine lifted from the Suzuki MR Wagon and an idling stop function. It is capable of reaching the fuel economy of 30.2 km/L (71MPG) based on Japan's JC08 Mode test cycle (32 km/L under 10-15 test cycle).[citation needed] This is .2 km/L higher than the Daihatsu Mira e:S.[citation needed]

In 2013, the Alto Eco was updated with the addition of Suzuki's ENE-CHARGE system, first applied on the fifth-generation Wagon R. With this technology, fuel economy has now improved to 33.0 km/L based on Japan's JC08 Mode test cycle.[28]

The Alto K10 is powered by a 998 cc (60.9 cu in) DOHC inline-three engine, the only such engine available in the Suzuki range. The engine produces 68 PS (67 hp; 50 kW) at 6200rpm and 90 N·m (66 lb·ft; 9 kg·m) torque at 3500rpm, and features a 5-speed transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I love kei cars. They're such brilliant engineering. And I wish they were viable/available in the US.

This new Alto/Carol is a bit retro throwback from the front. I like that aspect! But the body detailing reminds me of cars from 15 years ago. And I love the low-mounted taillights.

If only they'd pass regulatory muster in America, we could at least get the Mazda version as the Mazda1.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I've always like these quirky, practical Kei cars and the culture that's sprung up around them in Japan.

I think it looks pretty neat and think it should stand out among it's competitors.

Suzuki has also built Kei cars for rival automakers in Japan, including Mazda and Nissan.

Continuing an earlier arrangement, the Mazda Carol is also "new" and will be sold in the JDM. Here it is below if anyone wants to take a look:
that sure is some nice Photoshop work on badging HAHA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts