GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suzuki to Preview New Compact Hatch and Mini 4x4 in Geneva: Jimny Successor?
BY MIHNEA RADU
6TH FEBRUARY 2015

Usually when a Japanse automaker like Mitsubishi unveils a new concept, it means nothing at all. But the Swift makers have just announced two new creations are going to be shown at the Geneva Motor Show and we think they're both production-bound.

One is called the iK-2 and is the company's concept for a compact sized car, taking the shape of a hatchback. This Golf rival has already been seen testing on numerous occasions in Europe and sore reports suggest it's based on a car called "Ciaz" or "Alivio".

s even more interesting. It's called the iM-4 and is an a mini 4x4 developed with a concept theme of “Shape the Inspiration”. The word "iconic" is used, so we think that this could be the much-anticipated successor to the Jimny. It certainly does look like a mountain goat on wheels, with nonexistent overhangs and and plenty of 4x4 DNA.
CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Here's the hatch for what it's worth:

http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/666372/suzuki-yra-and-yba-teased-aka-ik-2-im-4-concept.htm

Suzuki always had the problem that their non-SUV cars were either weird or very plain. This is simply plain, it's a modern-day Austin Monstro - a slightly disfigured Skoda Rapid hatchback.

This is the Suzuki Alivio the hatch is apparently based upon:

It is a rather auspicious design, I am not quite sure why Suzuki needs to turn it into a rather imbalanced hatch. Especially that Europe actually gets a hatch already, as the Alivio is a development of the recently launched... SX-4 S-Cross hatch!

I guess Suzuki's model strategy is getting lost on me... We should simply get the Alivio to fill in the niche of "inexpensive family sedan" as midsize sedans all got much heftier and more expensive and so many compact models lost their sedan versions.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since I can't update the original post for some reason, here are two teaser pictures that were release on this debut:

SOURCE: LeftLaneNews.com

Images credited to, and courtesy of, LeftLaneNews.com

Suzuki iM-4 Concept:

Suzuki iK-2 Concept:

Both interesting from what little we see.

The iM-4 has a kind of Scion tC/Suzuki Alto feel to the c-pillar:

2015 Suzuki Alto:

The iK-2, on the other hand, has "too modern" a silhouette to be a Jimny replacement. The Jimny is rugged and elemental. Unless they're going to replace a capable, small off-roader with (what seems to be) a FWD based crossover, I'd imagine that it's either a new product or a replacement for an existing vehicle.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
This Alvio and hatch version might've made a nice pair of entrants in the US had Suzuki been around long enough. Might be a bit close to the Kizashi's turf but it was too small for its price anyway.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i hope they just leave the Jimney/Samurai alone. its just such a awesome model. wish they still had them here. make a great cheaper alternative for a 4 wheeler for the woods on the used market

1 - 9 of 9 Posts