·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suzuki here to stay
04/23/2004 12:00 AM CDT
San Antonio Express-News
G. Chambers Williams III

Suzuki may have done America's Daewoo vehicle owners a favor with the introduction of the 2004 Suzuki Verona midsize sedan.

This all-new vehicle from Suzuki isn't really all-new; it's a version of the Daewoo Leganza, whose U.S. owners were left in the lurch a year ago when South Korea's Daewoo went belly-up and was taken over by General Motors.

GM decided not to buy Daewoo's U.S. distribution setup, which meant the end of the company's U.S. dealerships and the availability of parts for the cars that already had been sold. Some Daewoo dealers were cannibalizing new cars left on their lots to repair the cars of customers that needed parts no longer available from the manufacturer.

But the Leganza has been reborn, sort of, in the guise of the Verona, the first midsize sedan offered by the Japanese automaker Suzuki in the U.S. market.

I can't tell you how many parts might be interchangeable between the 2004 Verona and the Leganzas that U.S. consumers have in their possession. The Leganza came with a 2.2-liter inline four-cylinder engine, while the Verona comes with a 2.5-liter inline six. But surely some of the components of the two vehicles can be interchanged.

So what about buying a new Verona? Will these cars go away as quickly as the Leganza did, leaving consumers in the lurch again? Probably not.

Suzuki, which is in partnership with GM in the United States, has been around since the mid-80s and has more than 450 U.S. dealers.

GM's new Daewoo subsidiary is building the Verona and a compact Suzuki called the Forenza, which also is a new version of a former U.S. Daewoo product ? in this case, the Nubira. Nubira owners might have more luck finding Forenza parts that fit their cars; the Forenza uses the same 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and transmissions from the Nubira.

The Verona and Forenza are the first of nine new vehicles Suzuki will launch in the next five years as the cornerstone of its plan to triple its 2002 U.S. vehicle sales by 2007.

Any comparisons between the former U.S. Daewoo products and the new Suzuki cars might be something of a disservice to Suzuki and its dealers, though, especially if consumers get the idea that they could be snookered again the way they were with the Daewoos.

I wouldn't worry about it - and from what I've seen so far, the Verona and Forenza are very nice cars that offer good value and a well-established dealer network to support them.

Although South Korean vehicles don't have quite the reputation for quality that the Japanese brands carry, there have been great improvements in quality in South Korea's automotive industry in the past decade, bringing them close to the benchmarks set by such automakers as Mazda, Nissan, Honda and Toyota.

To back these vehicles up, however, Suzuki offers one of the longest warranties in the business. The Verona and Forenza come with a seven-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty, which covers all of the parts that make the cars go - engines, transmissions and differentials.

Full Uncut Article Here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Although this article offers little new information for us here at GMinsidenews, it does raise an interesting POV.

Is Suzuki really "here to stay" or is it bound to suffer the fate of some other 2nd tier Japanese makers like Mitsubishi and Isuzu?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
IMHO, I think Suzuki is here to stay. They've got an established rebound plan (3-5-7), a new dealer theme, a long warranty, and new upcoming cars. Plus, their sales are up 22%. Not bad. I can only expect more from Suzuki.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by ozone_GTX@Apr 23 2004, 03:48 PM
The dudes name is John Smith. Try finding him on Google without getting another guy.

:lol:
? :huh:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+Apr 23 2004, 09:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ Apr 23 2004, 09:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ozone_GTX@Apr 23 2004, 03:48 PM
The dudes name is John Smith.  Try finding him on Google without getting another guy.

? :huh: [/b][/quote]
Thats everyone's name.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've seen quite a few Veronas on the road and a couple Forenzas, so I think they must be selling ok. They pack a lot of value for the $$ and seem better built than the old Daewoos. The Vitara and XL-7 seem to sell pretty good as well. Plus, I read an article that Suzuki wants their car division to be as successful as their motorcycle division. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Erunion+Apr 24 2004, 04:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Erunion @ Apr 24 2004, 04:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2004, 09:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ozone_GTX
@Apr 23 2004, 03:48 PM
The dudes name is John Smith.  Try finding him on Google without getting another guy.

? :huh:
Thats everyone's name. [/b][/quote]
Oh, I didn't notice the guy in the picture had that name!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Recently, we heard two Japanese automakers going down. Mitsu and Isuzu are struggling.So why would Suzuki? They have tons of new models including Verona and Forenza which are making the automaker's sales increase. But, Suzuki will have to keep that hype up, such as Cadillac. First, the Escalade started followed by CTS, SRX, XLR, EXT, ESV, and now STS. Suzuki will need to continue to bring out new models such as how they started 2004. Reno Crossover, and Forenza Wagon brought even more hype into the Suzuki package. If Suzuki can keep this up, I am sure enough Suzuki will not vanish in thin air such as Isuzu and Mitsubishi are doing currently.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The one thing I think, that gives Suzuki an edge over Mitsu and Isuzu is the awesome reputation of its motorcycle line. If Suzuki made more links between its 2 and 4-wheeled products, I think they could do much better in N.A. than what they are. Maybe even sell them together. I think it would be neat to have the Verona and V-Strom in the same showroom. Eventually with future models, perhaps some of their M.C. tech could rub off on their cars. Thats how Honda built their great rep. with their cars, they built world-class motorcycles and applied some of that technology to their cars. Suzuki has world-class motorcycles, with some work and some future "non-Daewoo" models they could do this. Perhaps, they figure the Daewoo models will fund some "exploration" into this?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
One of Suzuki's upcoming models is the production version of their Concept S minicar, which is an "icon" car like the Beetle and Cooper. Supposedly, it's going to have a high-revving engine since Suzuki Auto is collaborating with their motorcycle division to make faster engines. It's good to see them using their motorcycle division to improve themselves. That's what I've heard...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts