GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not only did Chevy lower the sticker price of the NG Volt by almost $1,200, but they have added an incentive as well. Add in the $7,500 government incentive and potential dealer discount, and you suddenly have quite a deal on a brand new, state-of-the-art vehicle.

Here are two examples from New York dealers. Keep in mind that incentives may vary in your local area.

MSRP Standard Vehicle Price $33,170.00
Installed Options Total $855.00
Siren Red Tintcoat $395.00
Jet Black/Jet Black, Cloth seat trim $0.00
Low Emissions Package (T-ZEV) NO CHARGE
Comfort Package $460.00
Destination Freight Charge $825.00
Total MSRP $34,850.00
Cash Allowance - $2,000.00
Price: $32,850

MSRP Standard Vehicle Price $37,520.00
Installed Options Total $1,545.00
Mosaic Black Metallic $0.00
Jet Black/Jet Black, Leather-appointed seat trim $0.00
Chevrolet MyLink Radio®1 with Navigation2 $495.00
Low Emissions Package (T-ZEV) NO CHARGE
Wheel Lock Kit $60.00
This kit includes 4 wheel locks and 1 key.
Driver Confidence Package $495.00
Driver Confidence II Package $495.00
Destination Freight Charge $825.00
Total MSRP $39,890.00
Cash Allowance - $2,000.00
Price: $37,890

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not only did Chevy lower the sticker price of the NG Volt by almost $1,200, but they have added an incentive as well. Add in the $7,500 government incentive and potential dealer discount, and you suddenly have quite a deal on a brand new, state-of-the-art vehicle.
Talk about a "jump-start"!

·
Registered
17,705 Posts
Nice - way to be aggressive GM! Hopefully this will help ensure market place acceptance. Once a vehicle starts out as a failure (meaning low sales) I assume it will be an act of god to "fix" it down the road to jump start sales.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Nice - way to be aggressive GM! Hopefully this will help ensure market place acceptance. Once a vehicle starts out as a failure (meaning low sales) I assume it will be an act of god to "fix" it down the road to jump start sales.
Like Fiero, Aztec, ELR, etc?

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
Then you take off the 7500 dollar break from Uncle Sam?
Man if you are an employee or have a family member that is or a vendor, you're getting into one of these pretty cheap.
Tempting.

·
Registered
20,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Brilliant Marketing Move!
Brilliant? Or absolutely necessary in the face of low gas prices? GM can't let this one stumble out of the gates.

On another note, auto manufacturers' vocabulary has got to change. Cash allowance, cash back, dealer incentive... it just oozes sleaze and condescension. GM should spearhead a change in the way they communicate to potential customers. A little wording could go a long way, especially if you're after those darn millenials who already loathe big corporations.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Like Fiero, Aztec, ELR, etc?
I don't know that Fiero started out with slow sales - didn't they sell pretty well the first year or two? So much so, Pontiac kept its "hit" all to itself killing any possibility of other divisions (Chevrolet was rumored to be interested) getting their own versions like the Solstice/Sky enjoyed - for a while.

The Aztec was saddled with unfortunate kill-it-with-fire styling, and the ELR a very optimistic sticker price.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
The fiero had 100,000 sales in the first year. It was a huge hit.

One sexy beast....too bad it was powered by the iron duke ...

With gas at 1.83 around here it's pretty hard to justify hybrid technology.....

I dig the new volt that can bolt to sixty in 7.1 seconds...

Still.....not sure even after the tax break....of 25 grand is what I'd buy...

The new camaro ss at 38 grand is more tempting.......screw the government rebate!

(Kidding as I know they are different segments)

·
Registered
18,236 Posts
Brilliant? Or absolutely necessary in the face of low gas prices? GM can't let this one stumble out of the gates.

On another note, auto manufacturers' vocabulary has got to change. Cash allowance, cash back, dealer incentive... it just oozes sleaze and condescension. GM should spearhead a change in the way they communicate to potential customers. A little wording could go a long way, especially if you're after those darn millenials who already loathe big corporations.
But....but..but....Apple. Millennials are dumb.

I hope this sticks around for a few more months until they get released here in our area. I could live with one of these for a few years.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Millennials are dumb.
This is what everybody assumes. Except for companies with a future. Y'know the Apples and Googles of the world. You can add Tesla to that list in a 5-10 years.

But I'm sure GM will do just fine with their focus group commercials and slimy car salesmen.

·
Registered
18,236 Posts
This is what everybody assumes. Except for companies with a future. Y'know the Apples and Googles of the world. You can add Tesla to that list in a 5-10 years.

But I'm sure GM will do just fine with their focus group commercials and slimy car salesmen.
Hey, you are the one that said millennials hate big corporations. Well, Apple and Google are certainly two of the largest yet loved by those same millenials. Cant have it both ways.

·
Registered
20,518 Posts

So cutting production in 1/2 and only selling in a handful of states wasn't enough of a stumble?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: SeetheUSA

·
Premium Member
35,754 Posts

I remember when "rebates" first entered the automotive world vocabulary.

http://www.autonews.com/article/199...car-prices-brought-sticker-shock-then-rebates

My parents, aunts (who had bucks and car-shopped fairly often), and friends had a big laugh about the robbing-Peter-to-pay-Paul scheme.

For the buyers who live in states where the sales tax is charged on the pre-rebate price, they get screwed out of sales tax on two grand.

Why not just drop the price $2000?:confused:

Another item: IF Michigan would allow you to pay tax on only the difference between trade-in and selling price, I bet car sales would increase a good five percent.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,331 Posts
I'm thinking good move Chevy. Give it an enticing discount to get more people into it and see how good it is. Then maybe word of mouth etc. and they will sell even more. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How about just selling them in all 50 states, and increasing production. Also how many people would like to have purchased one this year, to get the 7500 credit, on their taxes for the year 2015. Now they have to wait till next yr and till 2017, to get the credit. That might put off some potential buyers. Bad move on GM's part. I am at a loss to understand their thought process.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
So cutting production in 1/2 and only selling in a handful of states wasn't enough of a stumble?
How was production cut in half? I think the 2016 Volt is production constrained but I think it might be a supply issue. GM is starting a second shift at DHAM likely in time for when the 2017 Volt goes into production in February. By then the 1.5L engine production will also move from Mexico to Flint.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts