GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoo Hoo!!!! First thread in the new forum!!!!

Now, on to the good stuff:

How hard / expensive is it to add a supercharger to a LS1? Do I need to tear the engine down to replace internal components, or is it a matter of simply bolting on a supercharger and reprogramming the computer?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
From what I have seen, it requires space (saw a fellow's 98 Camaro Z28 with an added supercharger) and a new serpentine belt (possible new tensioner) for the added length to start with. Add the re-programming of the chip as you noted. If you consider an intercooler, the battery may need relocation to the trunk.
The type of vehicle will have a lot to do with it (space under the hood). Have you considered a turbocharger?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just throwing around ideas right now. Haven't seriously considered a turbo charger, because of the turbo lag. I am just more concerned at this point about if the engine can handle the added pressure of the supercharger without having to replace internal parts.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I can't answer all of your questions but you have to look at it like this. If you are planning on running about 8psi boost from the supercharger, you don't need to change internal components because they'll handle that. If you want 12-15psi boost, you better think of getting it down cause it will blow up. Expenses, a supercharger for an LS1 probably costs in and around the realm of $3200 and that should (but not necessarily does) include brackets, hardware etc etc....

I've never installed one so I don't know how hard it is, might take you a day or a weekend depening on your abilities. Depending on boost, which is basically determining your output of power, you might also think of upgrading your fuel pump, filter, and injectors to feed enough fuel for the extra air. A chip and some tuning time would be a great idea also. Hope that helps a little bit more. As 69nova mentioned, an intercooler is not a must, but highly recommended. It keeps your engine safer since it will keep running temps down to more normal levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Zeobandit. A good friend of mine is one of the top LS1 engine builders in the industry. He has about a 2 foot pile of spec sheets on LS engines that he has built. 280 cubers right up to 458. Yeah very major engines. I have been in the dyno room on many occasions to see what some of them put out at the wheel. Every once in a while there will be one that will make me leave the room because it sound as though the room and dyno are going to get pulled out of the ground. Anyhow the TURBO would be the best way to go. You get get a system from a company called STS. They build a turbo that mounts where the muffler is. You remove the muffler. Sounds funny but works killer. The turbo is definitely the best way to go for a power adder. You use less cam, compression, valve spring and dont have to spin the motor to the moon. Turbo lag is pretty much a thing of the past. Go with a turbo kit and you wont regret it. The superchargers are good but you use power to make the power. Not so with a turbo. Nitrous is nice but the bottle runs out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It does take some power to run a turbo. A turbo takes exhaust pressure to turn, thus there is increased resistence for the engine to overcome on the exhaust cylcle. The other firing cylinders have to push a bit harder to push the exhaust gasses out than if there were no turbo in the system. But, you are getting more power than you're loosing, so you see an affective net gain in power.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You, my friend, need to take a look at an STS remote mounted turbo system! With the turbo mounted towards the rear of the vehicle you get all of the results you want out of your turbo without all of the bad things (huge intercooler, underhood temperatures, new exhaust manifold). You also avoid the price of an exhaust system and the turbo acts as the muffler.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
ChevyLaxMan said:
You, my friend, need to take a look at an STS remote mounted turbo system! With the turbo mounted towards the rear of the vehicle you get all of the results you want out of your turbo without all of the bad things (huge intercooler, underhood temperatures, new exhaust manifold). You also avoid the price of an exhaust system and the turbo acts as the muffler.
I was just about to recommend that. They have a GTO pushing 420 HP at like 8 psi form the turbo.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think www.capa.com.au has some serious LS1 Performace parts. They're not USA but could provide some good Ideas for supercharging. Granted you are not looking at roots type blowers! These are Australias top guys and my experience has been that they are happy to respond to any questions via e mail.

cheers ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
You want to go to ls1tech.com and search there. More LS1 knowledge than you will ever be able to absorb.

BTW- The stock bottom end of an LS1 can support over 500 HP no problem, don't ask me how I know. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm putting an ls1 mated to a t56 into a 75 camaro, i have already found a cheap ecu and wiring harness from painless that disregards emissions, but i am looking to supercharge it
i was just wondering what people thing the best way to go is, i would like to have something that replaces the intake manifold, and i'm going to to rebuild everything down to the crank, so what would be some good new internals for the engine?

links would be appreciated

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
Where are you located?

To s/c my Vette installed and tuned ?

Usually between 6 and 8 grand for around 600hp without tearing inside ... Remember that includes Vette tax.

Want more hp? Then you should ion motor and go lower compression and forged.

Gtg

JB

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for all the info. If you see a 500hp GTO running around someday, that will probably be me!
Magnasun and Harrop make an excellent double Helix unit that comes with a kit and which has all the components you need including a flash tune. I think Lingenfelter has a kit that uses the Magnasun. These kits are going to set you back about $10k with returns in the mid 550ish level for stock motors. Of course you can also do something completely ridiculous. JMHO

HVT2300 Harrop

4.0 Liter Whipple

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
If you keep the boost to 5 or 6 pounds....and add water alcohol injection...you can do a bolt on...

Traditionally anything over 500 rwhp and you need to be prepared for at some point down the road.....either right away, 10k miles or somewhere even further down the road...to rebuild for a forged powerplant...

I thought about supercharging my LS3 if I'm not thrilled with the next generation c7 corvette...but really....do I need to have a car that goes faster to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds or tops out at over the 190 mph that it presently does?

I say enjoy your car the way it is now ...but if the urge strikes...Go for it..

Just plan on aroudn 500rwhp as a maximum unless you spend the 3500 dollars extra for a forged bottom end..

With a target of 500rwhp and a stock bottom end...I wouldn't even bother with headers...

Just have the car tuned by a professional who knows what he's doing..

What part of the country are you in...?

Here in NJ ....ECS is a great resource for the installation and tuning..

Chris and Doug are awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.