GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOKYO, July 8 (Reuters) - Subaru-maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (Tokyo:7270.T - News) and Sweden's Saab will co-develop a new high-end crossover vehicle for the U.S. market in their second joint vehicle project, the companies said on Thursday.

The project marks an expansion of the two GM group companies' cooperation initiated last year, and follows the launch this month of the Saab 9-2X sports compact, which is built by Subaru based on its Impreza WRX model.

"This collaboration provides many benefits such as economies of scale (and) higher joint volume for Fuji Heavy's U.S. manufacturing facility," Fuji Heavy President Kyoji Takenaka said in a statement.

So-called crossover vehicles blend characteristics of different car classes.

The vehicles will be designed separately by Subaru and Saab but they are set to share the symmetrical all-wheel-drive platform that Subaru is best known for. Both will be built at Subaru's factory in Indiana in the United States.

Subaru's version, to be priced around $40,000, is scheduled to go on sale first, around the middle of next year.

The niche maker of off-road vehicles, held one-fifth by General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News), is banking on the vehicle, dubbed "XUV", to expand sales and profit margins in its key U.S. market.

With the model's annual sales target at 30,000 to 40,000 units, Subaru is aiming to lift its U.S. market share from 1.1 percent now to 1.5 percent by the end of its current business plan in 2006, boosting total sales there to 250,000 units.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Since Saab is more upscale than Subaru, I wonder how the public will respond to a $50-thousand Saab especially since for that same amount of money, one can go out and buy an SRX.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@Jul 8 2004, 12:44 PM
40 thousand for a Subaru?So how much will the Saab cost?
That's what's so shocking to me too! We all know that Subaru is trying to become a luxury brand but shouldn't they start a little bit smaller? And if the Subaru is at least 40K, that means the Saab could and probably will costs 50K+! For that price, couldn't one get another GM crossover called the SRX!?!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Subaru is currently selling versions of the WRX, and Outback V-6 at 30K and higher. Given the prices of their highline and performance models, a 40K Scooby does not seem unreasonable, but maybe they should lower their sights by five-thousand dollars.

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
I guess $40K is justifiable for a Subaru, since some of their current lineup is already in the $30Ks.
Then again, Touareg is in teh $35-55K range. So... it's entirely plausible.

$50K for a Saab? Maybe. Depends on what the vehicle has in it. Besides, isn't the 9-7X a $50K vehicle??

Either case... the news sounds good to me. WHere is the engine coming from? I wonder if this is the 9-7X replacement that is supposed to comein 2-3 years. :blink:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Jul 9 2004, 12:00 AM

$50K for a Saab? Maybe. Depends on what the vehicle has in it. Besides, isn't the 9-7X a $50K vehicle??

The 9-7X will be priced between about $37,000-$45,000. You gotta remember the rebates though, you could get one fully loaded for probably $40,000.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
That's what's so shocking to me too! We all know that Subaru is trying to become a luxury brand but shouldn't they start a little bit smaller? And if the Subaru is at least 40K, that means the Saab could and probably will costs 50K+! For that price, couldn't one get another GM crossover called the SRX!?!
you should keep in mind that SAAB also has $37k cars that could be looked over in favor of the CTS. the people that want SAAB don't really want a Cadillac. they want a European car. SAAB cars are distinctly Scandinavian.... FWD, all weather capability, European styling, a ****pit style interior.... they are NOT Cadillacs. people are going to buy SAABs and people are going to buy Caddys, but they are not always the same people. a $50k or so SAAB SUV is extremely plausible, especially when you consider what other premium utilities sell for. using Subaru as a partner with their AWD experience is a great idea. it will only make the SAAB better.

I wonder if this is the 9-7X replacement that is supposed to comein 2-3 years.

i'd bet money on that. the GMT360 is just short term.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Look at this, it looks worse than the Cayenne and Santa-Fe !!!
the SAAB will look better.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jul 9 2004, 04:04 PM
Look at this, it looks worse than the Cayenne and Santa-Fe !!!
the SAAB will look better.
I hope so,but I am sure that my friends - Saab owners will say once again : "Oh my God, what those stupid Americans did to Saab,it isn't a Saab anymore!!!"

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@Jul 9 2004, 01:14 PM

I hope so,but I am sure that my friends - Saab owners will say once again : "Oh my God, what those stupid Americans did to Saab,it isn't a Saab anymore!!!"
I'm a Saab owner... and I don't say that. :blink:
I'm just happy they're getting product.

I mean, people can argue till the cows come home about diluting the Saab brand and how Ford doesn't do that.. and they maintain factories in the car company's home country, etc etc.
Fact of the matter is... Ford is losing money on their cars because they are still being made in their home countries.

I woudl rather have Saab and Opel become a strong brand and have a strong presence in the market and make money while keeping the strengths of their brands intact. SO long as these new Saabs (etc) retain the performance heritage of Saab... I will be happy.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I would rather have Saab and Opel become a strong brand and have a strong presence in the market and make money while keeping the strengths of their brands intact. SO long as these new Saabs (etc) retain the performance heritage of Saab... I will be happy
you are the first SAAB owner i've heard say that, and i am so glad to hear it. i just hope there are more of you out there.

most people aren't complaining that the A3 to come here soon is an Audi version of the Golf. they applaud it because it's a good car. the same should be for the 9-2X. it's a great car, most articles i've read think it's BETTER than the car it's based on, and from driving it, i agree.

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
I know... I'm one of those oddball Saab owners. But I realize that without new product, Saab will not survive.

I'd prefer more platform sharing than "re-badging," but the 9-2X and 9-7X are decent attempts in my book. It's not the best effort, but it's a good compromise, given the amount of time. Sure, it's not as differentiated as a Malibu/9-3. But it's certainly better than the 1st-gen Escalades!!

But the 9-2X and 9-7X really have Saab's performance aspect at the core. ANd that's really what Saabs are ultimately.
I have a friend who's really big into Audi's. ANd really laid it on his sister after she got a 9-3. Something about crappy GM products, etc. THough he says he "likes" my 9-5, because it's more "original." Whatever the heck that means. (Probably know that I can beat his a$$ if he said something otherwise... :roflmao: ) ANyways... he drove his sister's car.. and hasn't said another bad thing about it. OTher than "it's not an Aero."

IF GM can convince people like him that even "crappy GM products" aren't really "crappy GM products," and are really Saabs at the core, then the cars like the 9-3, 9-2X, and 9-7X will be successful.

Personally... I can't wait to test drive the 9-7X. THe 9-2X was fun to drive... but it's too small for me. (I'm 6'3" and really like a lot of space.) :D

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jul 10 2004, 01:46 AM
most people aren't complaining that the A3 to come here soon is an Audi version of the Golf. they applaud it because it's a good car. the same should be for the 9-2X. it's a great car, most articles i've read think it's BETTER than the car it's based on, and from driving it, i agree.
Actually, I"m one of the complainers of the A3. But for different reasons.
No doubt the A3 is going to be a good car, like the Golf.

But the A3 will help to bring down and dilute the Audi luxury brand image. It's part of the reason that BMW is hesitant about bringing the 1/2-series into the US. It's also the reason the Mercedes A class isn't in the US.

9-2X is fine for Saab because Saab is a "near luxury" brand, and the 9-2X is more in line with Saab philosophy and heritage.
I actually think the 9-2X will be even more successful in Europe than in the US. But GM probably wants to wait till the revision.

·
Registered
410 Posts
plz.. don't make the Legacy a SAAB or SAAB's image will be RUINED! i noe SAAB is in financial difficulties, it ain't mean that it gonna lose its style b/c GM do the rebadging on Saab to boost sales...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts