GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
45,483 Posts
:blink: Waaaaaiiiit... a Northstar-V8-Twin Turbo???? Is it me or did that come out of left field?
Doesn't GM already have a supercharged Northstar V8 rated at 450+HP??

I wouldn't mind either, so long as it had 450+ HP to keep up with the E60 AMG and RS6!!

-ME

· Registered
45,483 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 5 2004, 10:03 PM

they already have a supercharged northstar? Where?
twin turbo is hard to package, chances are its a blower pushing upper 400's.
E60? You mean E55?
The Supercharged Northstars appeared on the Evoq and Imaj concept cars. I think the Imaj's engine was more powerful than the Evoq's.
There's also the Northstar XV-12 that appeared on the Cien, which presumably will appear on Escalade-V and XLR-V.

You're right.. E55. For some reason, I thought it had a 6.0 V8 in there. Hmmm... In either case.. it's 469HP. And the RS 6 is at 450HP with a BiTurbo. And M5 should be at 500HP.

STS-V need at least 450HP, pure and simple.

· Registered
45,483 Posts
OK... the Supercharged Northstar in the Evoq had 405HP. ANd the SC Northstar in the Imaj had 425. The Cien XV12 Northstar had 750 HP. And the Sixteen of course had 1,000 HP.

So, GM's got supercharged northstars in the 400+ HP zone (not 450+ like i thought... but close).
Evoq and Imaj were 4.2L and the Cien was 7.5L.

In either case.... 450HP should be the minimum rating for the STS-V.
Makes one wonder though. AMG uses one engine for the entire lineup (except the C). I hope Cadillac doesn't use the CTS-V engine across the board. I would hope for a "high tech," "high output" V8/10/12/16.

:lol:

· Registered
45,483 Posts
Originally posted by crazywop112@Feb 9 2004, 11:54 AM
Cadillac can make a more powerful car than the Vette because Cadillacs cost more money. The GN was a problem because it costed less.
Here'e my take on the whole thing...

So long as Cadillac stays with the competition, (M, AMG, R, RS) then I could care less if it outpowers the Corvette or not. But the moment the M's, AMGs, Rs, and RSs start outpowering the Corvette and outperforming it... then I would hope GM creates a Cadillac to compete, whether or not it too outpowers and outperforms the Vette.

Seeing as the competition for STS-V has a *minimum* 450HP, then STS-V *has to have* at least 450. That will most likely outrun the current Vette.

Give the top Vette a 600 HP engine (ie - set the bar high enough) so the Cadillac Vs won't reach it any time soon. So what if the V's outperform the "lower" Vettes, so long as it doesn't top the Z06 (or whatever it will be called). That should appease Chevy and that silly rule GM has.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.