GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our members asked a valid question and I want to know too:
I have a question not related to anything being discussed here....Does anyone know if running pre-production prototypes of the replacement for the STS and DTS exist? If they don't does anyone have anymore information on the car?
So come on all you experts, let's have it!

Zeta with more expensive materials? Big FWD? Hybrid? Who knows what?

+ if we don't know anything, is that cause for concern?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
One of our members asked a valid question and I want to know too:

So come on all you experts, let's have it!

Zeta with more expensive materials? Big FWD? Hybrid? Who knows what?

+ if we don't know anything, is that cause for concern?

I too am VERY curious and excited about this car! I am hoping for stellar, brave visual design elements with the cajones of the 1959 Caddy, plus love the notion of a powerful version of E-Flex being an option if not THE drive train. It would be so cool if it is a head turner, a blend of design themes of the CTS, Cien, Sixteen and Imaj.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I read on one thread or another here that prototypes should start seeing daylight fairly soon. Since most of the engineering was done in Australia, this is where they will likely show up first.

Take a look through this old thread. There's alot of good information on the subject. It's a long, 54 page thread. Some good inside info can be found in the last few pages regarding your question.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...e-entry-level-model-coming-54875/index55.html

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
What we know....

-- It's on Premium Zeta
-- No V8 offered at this time
-- It's about a step below the Audi A8
-- Audi A8 was the target car
-- Technical and gadget tour de force... more or less
-- Overhangs
-- High output Turbo V6 ~420HP
-- Fleetwood name presumably resurrected

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
What we know....

-- It's on Premium Zeta
-- Overhangs
Thanks for that...I for one LIKE long overhangs on luxury cars as long as cabin space is not comprimised.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Thanks for that...I for one LIKE long overhangs on luxury cars as long as cabin space is not comprimised.
Overhangs are useless. It adds extra weight, that in these high fuel price times is just nonsense.
Overhangs also compromise the performance of the vehicle.

The perpetual problem with GM is that a comparably sized GM car has less interior room than the competition. GM just isn't efficient with packaging. They need to resort to "Thin Seats" and other cheats.

Hopefully that is something GM will fix for the future, especially with small cars trending to be the dominant vehicle purchased.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The perpetual problem with GM is that a comparably sized GM car has less interior room than the competition. GM just isn't efficient with packaging. They need to resort to "Thin Seats" and other cheats.
Very true, but from I have read (in AUTOBiography chronicling VE development) , Holden appears to be fairly good at packaging (certainly one of the better centers within GM). Hopefully that will be true in the DTS/STS replacement and trickle down into other rear-drive (Alpha please) platforms.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links and the summary. So it's called the DT7? Hmm interesting choice...:lmao:
So now we just need another 12 months of bikini clad spy shots to pick on.

All of a sudden there is a lot more weight on the life of the Zeta program.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
What we know....

-- It's on Premium Zeta
-- Overhangs
I await the spy shots...
All of the above will be OK... I would like a V8 and would like it to be called the Seville.... To me the Fleetwood name always meant a car that was longer then an Olds 98... which was huge... But both are strong names... glad to see GM is finally bringing back some strong names from the past.

I was hoping that his car was going to be a "comfortable but not huge" sports sedan for adults... The A8 is not a bad target.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I just don't think it should be called the Fleetwood. That should be reserved for the highest end car to complete with the likes of S-class. The DT7 should continue the STS name.

Ideally the DT7 should compete with the Mercedes CLS.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just don't think it should be called the Fleetwood. That should be reserved for the highest end car to complete with the likes of S-class. The DT7 should continue the STS name.

Ideally the DT7 should compete with the Mercedes CLS.
As of now, the production car will be named "DT7"; not "Fleetwood". Now, as for the concept that will be unveiled in advance. . . that is a different story. The DT7 is not meant to compete with the MB CLS.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I keep saying it....but I would like STS to be the flagship car alla 7/S/A8 while the DTS was a high style, low volume, Coupe like sedan or something with a lot of style to offset it from other Caddy's, but still carry the Caddy theme.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Fleetwood??? They really want to name it that? Talk about a car with a blue hair image. It would be doomed from the start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Docray1 - When might that concept DT7/Fleetwood debut? Is there anything you can add to Mgescuro's post in light of the recent restructuring announcement from this morning? Are we still on the same time line for a MY 2011 intro?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Docray1 - When might that concept DT7/Fleetwood debut? Is there anything you can add to Mgescuro's post in light of the recent restructuring announcement from this morning? Are we still on the same time line for a MY 2011 intro?
Everything mgescuro said is correct - except for the name. The production car is still slated to be called the "DT7". Now, mgescuro MAY be referring to the concept car, which should debut late next year or early 2010 at an auto show in the middle or far east. The perceived market for such large cars is now thought to be greater over there than in the USA. This car (if it arrives at all) will not debut as a production car until late 2011 or early 2012 as a 2012 or 2013 model. There has been a lot of discussion as to whether it should be axed or delayed (again) before major engineering costs kick in. So far, it is still on the way.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Everything mgescuro said is correct - except for the name. The production car is still slated to be called the "DT7". Now, mgescuro MAY be referring to the concept car, which should debut late next year or early 2010 at an auto show in the middle or far east. The perceived market for such large cars is now thought to be greater over there than in the USA. This car (if it arrives at all) will not debut as a production car until late 2011 or early 2012 as a 2012 or 2013 model. There has been a lot of discussion as to whether it should be axed or delayed (again) before major engineering costs kick in. So far, it is still on the way.
Yeah, from what I've heard the decision is going to be made soon as to whether the program will be killed or not. A decision within the next month supposedly.

I'm more excited about the BLS. ;)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Docray did i get this right? There will be concept in 2010 but that concept/production car will not arrive on USA market (what about Europe?) until 2012 (if it is not delayed...again). Is this concept supposed to be luxury car ( s class competitior) or is this DTS/sts replacement (below A8). Because if i remember there was two big sedan in game. Which one will be axed (maybe) or is it both of them.
I don't see cadillac successed with CTS being their biggest car.:(

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
See my signature.... Thats all I know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Docray1, Is the DT7 going to definitely have the same 118.5 wheelbase as the Chinese Park Ave/G8 sport truck? I ask because I wonder if they'll be able to squeeze out a few more inches when they merge zeta with sigma to enlarge the cars footprint and in turn help the car meet emissions standards and of course increase interior/cargo space. Thanks for any help and all that tidbits you have provided us already!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hmm...well thanks Docray1....I still hate the fact that Hyundai can have a 4.6L V-8 with 375 hp and Cadillac a supposed luxury car can't even have an 8cyl engine after the DTS and STS are replaced....Theres a problem with that. I am also troubled by the fact that this car will not even be shown in concept form until 2010; then it'll be another 2 years until its built?? So this means they're gonna let Cadillac go for 2 years with the DTS and CTS as its only sedan offerings or not?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts