1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeost.

Posted Apr 24th 2008 7:02AM by Jonathon Ramsey
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Plants/Manufacturing, GM, UAW/Unions
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/ANA02/877638322/1128GM is still dancing with the UAW over contract issues, now its doing it with local plants regarding items that weren't in the national agreement. However, The General has managed to wring two more days to negotiate before workers at its Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas City, KS, walk out. The 2,600 workers of UAW Local 31 churn out 3,100 Malibus every week.

Local contracts -- as opposed to the national agreement -- concern work-rule, seniority and other non-economic issues. The UAW Local says that GM isn't following the blueprint of the national agreement and is pushing for too much. GM says it is negotiating in good faith.

And Fairfax isn't the only plant affected. Strikes and idling due to rejected contracts have taken place at GM plants in Parma, Ohio, Lansing, Michigan, and Detroit-Hamtramck. Those interruptions have halted production of the Buick Lucerne and Enclave, Cadillac CTS, Saturn Outlook, and GMC Acadia. The Hamtramck plant is calling workers back, which will get the Lucerne and CTS in production again, but now the Malibu is on the block. GM has a 37-day supply of the hot commodity, and it also has another plant that builds Malibus. If GM and UAW Local 31 can't come to an agreement, Malibu production at the Fairfax plant will cease tomorrow.

[Source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.] http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/24/strike-at-malibu-plant-averted-for-now-lucerne-and-dts-producti/

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree that the issue is stupid. The Union is not stupid but they are taking full advantage of the market and they are going to win the battle to lose the war with this mentality. This kind of action will end the importance of Unions in this country!!!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Thank God DTS and Lucerne production is back online...wouldnt want the line for thoes cars to get too long. Old people and limo drivers can take a deep breath this morning.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
your going to piss off a ton of people with that comment
STUPID UNION.

There.

Going through with a strike over senority and parking spaces during a recession is STUPID. It's getting to the point where I'd rather buy a car made in Mexico because I am ashamed of some people's work ethic and since of entitlement in this country.

They've hurt Michigan's economy, and they'd take America down with them if they could.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Negotiations are a two way street. Their contracts have been hanging out there for almost eight months. If stupidity is a factor, it is a shared commodity.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hmmm, interesting article. I didn't know that we stopped building the CTS, but hey. Also, isn't Hamtramck down due to the strike at American Axle?

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Who wrote this? The CTS isn't built in Hammtramck. There was never a production halt of the CTS through all of this.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Who wrote this? The CTS isn't built in Hammtramck. There was never a production halt of the CTS through all of this.
DTS is at D-Ham.
CTS is at Lansing, Grand River (no strike) - not the Lansing, Delta Township plant mentioned (Enclave, Outlook, Acadia).

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Another uninformed reporter that doesn't bother to check his facts because they're not held accountable anymore for accurate reporting.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Thank God DTS and Lucerne production is back online...wouldnt want the line for thoes cars to get too long. Old people and limo drivers can take a deep breath this morning.
That's pretty funny.

I was wondering the same thing, megeebee.

GMMediaOnline released a statement, and your thought that American Axle's strike was the issue at Hammtramck seems correct. I think the information to which you refer is on the second page. It's a useful chart, for the purposes of this specific discussion.

And as suggested on GM's website, you can check any manufacturing site around the world the see what it makes (and how much of them they make). LGR's the place for the CTS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Negotiations are a two way street. Their contracts have been hanging out there for almost eight months. If stupidity is a factor, it is a shared commodity.
I have to agree with you on that, however local nogotiations have been going on for a little over a year now

1 - 20 of 37 Posts