GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 Silverado.

I hear a very slight whooshing sounds with some ticking inside the dashboard. It's very faint, but it's a brand new truck and it's bothering me. It's light enough where it can't be heard with the radio or a/c on, but it's still not my preference in background noise.

Is there any known issue with the guage cluster on the 2007 Silverado that would cause this?

My trailblazer made the same noise....but I think a dealer fixed it without telling me because it suddenly stopped after a transmission flush. I have no idea what it could be, but it sounds electrical.

If there is a fix, about how long does it take and is it common enough that the dealer will be familiar with the problem?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
gears moving sound in the trailblazers are the motors and mechanicals for the gauge cluster.
the little motors that move the needles.
these stepper motors can get noisy at times... especially on cold- quiet morning, you can hear them....
the other sound whooshing?
On out 07 Impala- with windows up and quiet outside- you can hear the little motor sound as the vents are moved (change settings on the AC controls). Not something that bothers me.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My buddy (the interior trim guy) here at the shop says it's probably the instument cluster...

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Just had an Escalade 900 series in the shop for a similiar noise...

Here is a recent TSB possibly???

#06-08-64-035E: Squeak/itching Noise in Upper Door Area (Install Squeak Reduction Tape) - (Apr 9, 2008)

Subject:Squeak/Itching Noise In Upper Door Area (Install Squeak Reduction Tape)

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

This bulletin is being revised to add the pickup models, remove the part number and change the procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-64-035D (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).
Condition

Do This
Don't Do This
Install 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape
Do NOT replace the roof drip weatherstrip.
Some customers may comment on a squeaking or itching noise in the upper door area when driving.
Cause

This condition may be caused by the roof drip weatherstrip to door frame contact. This could occur at any or all of the doors.
Correction

Install 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape. Clean the top of all door frames and install 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape 5430, P/N 06356.
Parts Information

Purchase 3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape locally.
Material Allowance is $10.71 (USD) per roll.
Two rolls per vehicle are needed.
Part Number
Description
3M™ Squeak Reduction Tape 5430
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
C9845*
Install Squeak Reduction Tape
0.3 hr
*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.​

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I've never been a fan of tearing apart an interior for a squeak, as sometimes you can create 10 more...yeah I know...but 20 years in a new car dealer has taught me something!!!

Anyways....that 3M squeak reduction tape does work wonders...I've used it on my Roadmaster's LF door trim to stop a panel itch with sucess...

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it might work...but this itchy/squeak happens while the truck is stopped. It's very similar to the Trailblazer's noise.

I am bringing my truck in today to switch over to synthetic oil and I'm having them ponder this. I'll bring this up and hopefully it will solve it. I've also got the wind noise at the a pillars.

Thanks, GMCSonoma.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
member12 said:
I hear a very slight whooshing sounds with some ticking inside the dashboard.
Here is a total 'guess' at this.
Did they disconnect your cowl/cover (floorboard/fire wall) to your steering column in anyway prior to you hearing this whoosing sound?
That happend to me once. They forgot to re-connect it and I kept hearing 'air rushing sounds' out of my lower dash.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a total 'guess' at this.
Did they disconnect your cowl/cover (floorboard/fire wall) to your steering column in anyway prior to you hearing this whoosing sound?
That happend to me once. They forgot to re-connect it and I kept hearing 'air rushing sounds' out of my lower dash.

No...

Once again, this is a mystery. It doesn't make any noise anymore....no point in taking it to the dealer now.

I just put Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck, BTW.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Ahh...In that case you need to study my UFO thread.
That HAS to be the reason then... :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
See, a GM product is so good, it repairs itself!!!!

If you were in the snow belt, I'd say it was a chunk of ice causing it!!!!!!! I can't tell you the number of noise complaints we saw this winter...then we'd let the car sit overnight in our heated shop & viola!!!!...silence!!!

Anyways...when you take it in for serviceing, mention it anyways, so at least there is some documentation...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.