GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Chevrolet Aveo
Chevrolet boosts its microcar prospects with two new Aveo subcompacts.
by Marc K. Stengel (2003-11-30)

"Large revolutions come from small beginnings," reads the Joy of Motoring column in London's The Spectator. It's a sentiment particularly apropos to the debut of Chevrolet's newest microcar in December and January. The Aveo is tiny and may well signal a revolution in General Motors' approach to marketing small, affordable, fuel-efficient cars.

I'd suggest The Spectator got it precisely right in what happens to be the first automotive column ever appearing in that magazine, which celebrates its 175th year of continuous publication in 2003. From the threshold of November 14, 1896, however, automotive opinions were considerably more naïve, if no less confused, than they are today: "They will not be largely bought, perhaps, until they become cheaper, possibly not until experts are better agreed than they are at present upon the best kind of motor."

Full Review Here!

----------------------
Here is what I thought was a little strange...

2004 Chevrolet Aveo

Base Price: $9995

Engine: 1.6-liter in-line four, 103 hp

Transmission: Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic, front-wheel drive

Length x width x height: 152.8 x 65.8 x 58.9

Wheelbase: 97.6 in

Curb weight: 2348 lb

EPA City/Hwy: 2/735 mpg (manual); 26/34 mpg (auto)

Safety equipment: Front airbags

Major standard equipment: 14-inch wheels, AM/FM radio, 60/40 split folding rear seat

Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles
----------------------
How did Chevrolet manage to engineer the Aveo's engine for 2 mpg city and 735 mpg on the highway. That means it has worse fuel economy than the dreaded H2 in the City, yet goes on for miles and miles after a Prius has run out of gas on the Highway. :p

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's amazing fuel economy must be due to it's high tech DOHC engine!

LONG LIVE DOHC!

Slap a new air intake, exhaust tip and wing and you're probably looking at 400-500 Horsepower! Maybe it even has VTECH (that's vvt for the layman)!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Slap a new air intake, exhaust tip and wing and you're probably looking at 400-500 Horsepower! Maybe it even has VTECH (that's vvt for the layman)!
Nah. You can't get that kind of power without lots and lots of decals.

Ghrankenstein

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 1 2003, 01:16 AM

LONG LIVE DOHC!

dude, you are so dumb... when you add the new intake and muffler, thats what brings the vtec out! god... you gm peoples dont know nuthing about high-teck cars like my civic yo. You dont even know what Vtec do you? Its Very Tall Engine Cooling. It brings down the temperature of the engine to like near absolute zero so that is makes a form of anti-mater that powers the motor. Lets see any slowmestic do that yo! and mah ride is sweet!

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Dec 2 2003, 12:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Dec 2 2003, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TAFreak@Dec 1 2003, 01:16 AM

LONG LIVE DOHC!

dude, you are so dumb... when you add the new intake and muffler, thats what brings the vtec out! god... you gm peoples dont know nuthing about high-teck cars like my civic yo. You dont even know what Vtec do you? Its Very Tall Engine Cooling. It brings down the temperature of the engine to like near absolute zero so that is makes a form of anti-mater that powers the motor. Lets see any slowmestic do that yo! and mah ride is sweet! [/b][/quote]
Word! :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is the worst car ever... i went a test drove one and it has a radio that plays mp3s but no power locks or windows. I had it floored and it barly moved. I got on the freeway and it felt like it was gona flip it had so much body roll.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE@Dec 22 2003, 09:53 PM
This is the worst car ever... i went a test drove one and it has a radio that plays mp3s but no power locks or windows. I had it floored and it barly moved. I got on the freeway and it felt like it was gona flip it had so much body roll.
But what car in it's price and category is better?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider+Dec 23 2003, 03:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rex Raider @ Dec 23 2003, 03:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ReD-DaWg-OnE@Dec 22 2003, 09:53 PM
This is the worst car ever... i went a test drove one and it has a radio that plays mp3s but no power locks or windows.  I had it floored and it barly moved.  I got on the freeway and it felt like it was gona flip it had so much body roll.
But what car in it's price and category is better? [/b][/quote]
A huffy 21 speed mountain bike with an MP3 player taped to the front. Way better gas milage, and you always look stylin with a Huffy!!

this is the car that GM needs to put a quad turbo V12 in.. :bounce:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts

But what car in it's price and category is better?
Actually, that same article praised the Aveo for its nimble handling, even though it had a relatively choppy ride. Now, whether the Aveo's handling was -Kia Rio- nimble, that's a different story.

Lay off the Aveo, or buy a 1SV Cavalier.

Granted, I prefer the 1SV Cavalier, but that's just my taste.

Ghrankenstein.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen 2 Aveos already!! Both Red Sedans but the were different drivers. They looked happy with them. They look like the best vehicle in its class if you ask me. And the styling is much more attractive in person.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE@Dec 23 2003, 01:53 AM
Reminds me of the last Daewoo experiment!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I have seen 2 Aveos already!! Both Red Sedans but the were different drivers. They looked happy with them. They look like the best vehicle in its class if you ask me. And the styling is much more attractive in person.
I think what you're seeing are still rentals. The strengths of the Aveo's styling are in its details, and yeah, it comes across as a much better car in person. The tiny wheels still blow it for me, and the sedan kind of looks like a happy turtle when in motion. I think the hatch will impress some people, though.

Reminds me of the last Daewoo experiment!
There are a lot of those earlier Daewoos (Pontiac LeManses) still on the road. Not actually at LeMans, but on the road, which is kind of like LeMans but with more Lincoln Navigators.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
94 Posts
now they need an aveo ss hehe...throw a 3.5 in there..watch out hehe..leave those dinky wheels on it too...make it a sleeper lol :p

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Dec 1 2003, 05:50 PM
Nah. You can't get that kind of power without lots and lots of decals.

Ghrankenstein
Yep, 20 hp per decal.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by c400mark@Dec 31 2003, 06:02 PM
now they need an aveo ss hehe...throw a 3.5 in there..watch out hehe..leave those dinky wheels on it too...make it a sleeper lol :p
why stop at that weak *** 3.5! LS2 BABY!! BLUE DEVIL IN AN AVEO!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Aveo wheel/tire combo is actually quite competitive for a vehicle in this segment.

(all specs from lowest trim level)

Aveo - 185/60 R14
Accent - 175/70 R13
Civic - 185/70 R14
Echo - 175/65 R14
Focus - 185/65 R14

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Five-speed manual transmission
27 city/35 highway
This is what chevrolet.com says, so they're probably wrong. It was just a typo, maybe.
:rolleyes:

Anyway, the Aveo looks pretty good. I think it will sell to youngsters, and be a good alternative to a Kia Rio or Toyota Echo. I think that the Aveo looks better than any Rio or Echo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just like to say that I just purchased a Chevrolet Aveo and I love it. It is so big on the inside and it drives very nice to. I read on here that someone said it was a choppy ride and was not that fast. Well let me tell you I have test drove many small cars and this was defianatly the best one, also I had it doing 115 on the highway and i didn't have the pedal to the floor. So before you diss my new love take one for a test drive. I am in love with the Chevrolet Avoe, and it does have power locks, power windows, tilt steering, a nice little spoiler, heated mirrors, and many other great options. So i don't know what you people are talking about.............I love it!!!!!!! :

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by aveolover@Mar 4 2004, 10:44 PM
I would just like to say that I just purchased a Chevrolet Aveo and I love it. It is so big on the inside and it drives very nice to. I read on here that someone said it was a choppy ride and was not that fast. Well let me tell you I have test drove many small cars and this was defianatly the best one, also I had it doing 115 on the highway and i didn't have the pedal to the floor. So before you diss my new love take one for a test drive. I am in love with the Chevrolet Avoe, and it does have power locks, power windows, tilt steering, a nice little spoiler, heated mirrors, and many other great options. So i don't know what you people are talking about.............I love it!!!!!!! :
Good for you, Aveolover. Car and Driver (I think) has a pretty glowing review of the Aveo, as does Motor Week.

I think its a great car to take on and beat the KIA Rio, Hyundai Accent and Toyota Echo. With modifications it even makes for a good Scion fighter. I'm glad GM is paying attention to this segment, instead of letting the Asian car makers dominate the market.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts