GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now the radio in the Impala hasn't worked. I replaced the front speakers with some nicer Sony ones but the rest of it is stock. When I changed the speakers, they worked for about 2 months, then the radio wouldn't turn on.

If you put a tape in, it would make the noise like it was playing, but no music came out.

About 5 days ago the whole system stopped working, no clock, no noise at all. The next day I got in and it smelled liek smoke. I took it all out and the circuit board is burnt in 3 spots. I took the face plate off and unbolted the mounting bracket so i could put the stock plate back on, but I threw the radio away. I just had to put it back together so it looked normal.

Anyway, if it happened right after I worked on it, I'd blame myself, but it was months. Not to mention the fact that I don't think hooking up front speakers could damage it anyway.

So now, I have to hope that the radio simply kicked the bucket and there aren't other problems.

I want to go to the junk yard Monday and see if I can find a stock CD player from an Impala or Monte. I miss my warning chimes and music.

I would have a Sony player put in, but we've gone over the fact that you can't change radios in these cars before. But what I need to know is if a factory CD player radio will function in an Impala with just a tape player?

Also, my car didn't have the advanced radio with the programing features (like the oil light), but it does have the 2nd wiring harness, so if I find one of the loaded players, will the new functions work with my Impala?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I'd make sure those speakers are compatible with the head unit... I burnt out a head unit in my SS due to Panasonic sending us "compatible factory-replacement speakers" that were the incorrect ohm rating...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm I thought just about everything was 4 ohm? Hope that isn't the problem, don't want to keep blowing them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I doubt it was the speakers - it was probably just the radio's time to die. The only problem I have had with a stock radio and aftermarket speakers was a lack of power to drive the speakers - and the result wasn't the end of the radio, it was just fair sound quality out of the speakers.

For the radio interchange, I am not sure. I think the radios are backwards-compatible, meaning the newer unit will work fine in the older car, however I do not know if you will get any of those advanced features.

-Dave

For a while now the radio in the Impala hasn't worked. I replaced the front speakers with some nicer Sony ones but the rest of it is stock. When I changed the speakers, they worked for about 2 months, then the radio wouldn't turn on.

If you put a tape in, it would make the noise like it was playing, but no music came out.

About 5 days ago the whole system stopped working, no clock, no noise at all. The next day I got in and it smelled liek smoke. I took it all out and the circuit board is burnt in 3 spots. I took the face plate off and unbolted the mounting bracket so i could put the stock plate back on, but I threw the radio away. I just had to put it back together so it looked normal.

Anyway, if it happened right after I worked on it, I'd blame myself, but it was months. Not to mention the fact that I don't think hooking up front speakers could damage it anyway.

So now, I have to hope that the radio simply kicked the bucket and there aren't other problems.

I want to go to the junk yard Monday and see if I can find a stock CD player from an Impala or Monte. I miss my warning chimes and music.

I would have a Sony player put in, but we've gone over the fact that you can't change radios in these cars before. But what I need to know is if a factory CD player radio will function in an Impala with just a tape player?

Also, my car didn't have the advanced radio with the programing features (like the oil light), but it does have the 2nd wiring harness, so if I find one of the loaded players, will the new functions work with my Impala?

Thanks in advance guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts