GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,811 Posts
Do you read CNN or MSNBC or Fox, or heck, any of the mainstream news sources, and not see the manipulation?
Yes I do, everyone is trying to manipulate me - even you trying to "manipulate" me to sway me to your conclusion. I consider it a fact of life, but, there are those manipulating to try to get you to their point of view and then there are those trying to sow confusion and discord - such as Putin. I know, all shades of gray. I feel like the Epoch Times is up there with Putin, and might even be an arm of his, and simply trying to sow discord - I find that to be a lot more distasteful than our garden variety (though potentially just as bad) mainstream news sources.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Posting that ("the other hate America" posts) isn't the same as belabored bickering. And readers should be able to take it. I read this site for a long time, and value the arguing with some reasoning. And won't give a pass to the 'garden-variety' mainstream news.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Yes I do, everyone is trying to manipulate me - even you trying to "manipulate" me to sway me to your conclusion. I consider it a fact of life, but, there are those manipulating to try to get you to their point of view and then there are those trying to sow confusion and discord - such as Putin. I know, all shades of gray. I feel like the Epoch Times is up there with Putin, and might even be an arm of his, and simply trying to sow discord - I find that to be a lot more distasteful than our garden variety (though potentially just as bad) mainstream news sources.

You have to take any source with a grain of salt. And that really isn't a situation unique to our era; this has always been the case.

Look at the NY Post. Often derided as a tabloid. But it's one of the oldest publications in the US with one of the biggest circulations. They broke the Hunter Biden laptop story in October of 2020. All of the "respectable" press immediately attacked them, and social media censored the story. It was easy to prove that the laptop was real. It contained e-mails that have senders and recipients, and the Post verified those communications were legit. Anyone who has actually seen the data knew instantly that it was real. The Post was right. And let's face it, all the "respectable" publications that attacked them knew all along that the story was genuine. But it went against their politics, objectivity be damned. So more than a year after the election, the "respectable" US media admitted that yeah, it was real. Enough time had passed to allow the admission.

Direct meddling in the election by the supposedly respectable press. How can they ever be given a pass on that? How can they ever be trusted again?

Related to that, Hunter Biden's business partner, Tony Bobulinski, a former Navy officer and a credible man, did interviews on Fox (the evil Fox) and has documentation proving that Joe Biden was involved with his son's deals with China and was almost certainly personally benefited financially from them. The "respectable" media never talked to Bobulinski. Again, how can you ever have any respect or trust in that media? Just how much outright fabrication do they have to do before some people turn away? And suppose Don Trump Jr. did even a fraction of the stuff that Hunter Biden has done (done, not alleged to have done). Do you think the coverage would have been similar?

I just don't understand how some still grant CNN and the broadcast networks' news services this aura of respectability.

·
Premium Member
37,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Epoch Times is a deeply-biased “newspaper” backed by the Falun-Gong cult. The fact that you keep sourcing these anti-EV articles by fringe sources does not help your case.
And NYT is unbiased then. Do some research.

Do you read CNN or MSNBC or Fox, or heck, any of the mainstream news sources, and not see the manipulation?
That often requires a bit deeper dive and some real actual research through all sources. Then developing the ability to recognize the subtle manipulation vs. information that goes on constantly. Some is so obvious only a child could miss it. In the end, each of us draws our own conclusions. Hopefully based on more than internet chats.
This influencing and manipulating has been going on since before hoomans could speak English. So that's at least a couple of hundred years.

This was not from a deep dive:

Never mind a look around at who's pushing the climate emergency. Suffice it to say that behind every emergency there's more ulterior motive than actual danger.
Now, who here has rushed out to get their monkeypox shot? Because it's a shot, it's not a vaccine. We've been over the timelines required to develop and hoomin-test a real vaccine vs an experimental shot. Just sayin.

All I'm saying is that the pure purity of lektriks is in no way, shape, or form the pure green Muvver Nature-Approved method of motivating hoomans around on four wheels. Despite breathless claims to the contrary.

Does oil pollute? Yes. Are oil wells manned/personed by child labor working for pennies a day? Nyetski. And of course the bottom line is that oil has fueled Western Civilization away from wood and away from coal for a while now. Reliably, ever cleaner, and we in the USA have oodles of the stuff. I am attempting to appeal to the logic centers of the brains here.

Reactions: hq308 and TORRED1

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
I try to avoid the news LOL It's all doom & gloom and "we're right, the other ones hate America".

I read a smattering of news from various source. I watch almost nothing. More and more, I just want to bury my head in the sand and hope it doesn't impact me.

·
Super Moderator
21,811 Posts
You have to take any source with a grain of salt. And that really isn't a situation unique to our era; this has always been the case.

Look at the NY Post. Often derided as a tabloid. But it's one of the oldest publications in the US with one of the biggest circulations. They broke the Hunter Biden laptop story in October of 2020. All of the "respectable" press immediately attacked them, and social media censored the story. It was easy to prove that the laptop was real. It contained e-mails that have senders and recipients, and the Post verified those communications were legit. Anyone who has actually seen the data knew instantly that it was real. The Post was right. And let's face it, all the "respectable" publications that attacked them knew all along that the story was genuine. But it went against their politics, objectivity be damned. So more than a year after the election, the "respectable" US media admitted that yeah, it was real. Enough time had passed to allow the admission.

Direct meddling in the election by the supposedly respectable press. How can they ever be given a pass on that? How can they ever be trusted again?

Related to that, Hunter Biden's business partner, Tony Bobulinski, a former Navy officer and a credible man, did interviews on Fox (the evil Fox) and has documentation proving that Joe Biden was involved with his son's deals with China and was almost certainly personally benefited financially from them. The "respectable" media never talked to Bobulinski. Again, how can you ever have any respect or trust in that media? Just how much outright fabrication do they have to do before some people turn away? And suppose Don Trump Jr. did even a fraction of the stuff that Hunter Biden has done (done, not alleged to have done). Do you think the coverage would have been similar?

I just don't understand how some still grant CNN and the broadcast networks' news services this aura of respectability.
Yes - a sorry state of affairs. I do like that CNN fired the bozo that led them down this path of ruin and is firing the most biased of commentators. I see CNN as "disinformation prime" of the domestic led disinformation. Maybe this will be a turning point as CNN tries to go back to "just news". One can hope. Though I do know I'll never trust CNN again, no matter what they do.

But, the difference between CNN, Fox, NBC, etc. is I know what their angles are. Fox = conservative good, CNN = super liberal good. I know what they are trying to do and can therefore be aware and be skeptical of where the story is trying to lead me yet still see the factual parts vs. biased. Or see the opposing news sources and glean information from the fact one carries the story while the other ignores it (like the Hunter Biden laptop).

Something like the Epoch Times is an unknown to me. I don't know how they are trying to manipulate me and that is the most dangerous kind of manipulation. After reading the previously mentioned BusinessWeek article (itself a biased magazine) I now better understand how far flung and difficult it is to spot an organization that is funded by Putin, Iran or China. And also how difficult it can be to see how they are manipulating me. I suspect the Epoch Times is trying to serve us a cup of Putin Coolaid or Xi Pie. Whatever their purpose is, I don't trust it.

Nor do I trust something simply because it resonates with how I think. In the end I want the truth - even if it is contrary to what I want. This story IS manipulating the truth, I don't want that.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don’t get my news from them but they’re infinitely better than Epoch Times, Breitbart, and The Blaze, etc as they have some semblance of standards.

And NYT is unbiased then. Do some research.
NY Times has bias as well. But, like the sources above, it has standards and a history of being incredibly accurate.

Also, doing research doesn’t mean actively searching for news that reinforces your deeply-held beliefs. That’s just creating an echo-chamber.

Does oil pollute? Yes. Are oil wells manned/personed by child labor working for pennies a day? Nyetski.
You can’t possibly believe that. Child labor is endemic in every manufacturing / mining industry in developing (and some developed) countries. It’s even happening at a Hyundai supplier factory in Alabama.

But since we’re talking about the oil industry, here’s further proof:
Syria’s Oil Industry uses lots of Child Labor - Vice

And yes, Vice is an actual legitimate news source.

·
Registered
179 Posts
But, the difference between CNN, Fox, NBC, etc. is I know what their angles are. Fox = conservative good, CNN = super liberal good. I know what they are trying to do and can therefore be aware and be skeptical of where the story is trying to lead me yet still see the factual parts vs. biased. Or see the opposing news sources and glean information from the fact one carries the story while the other ignores it (like the Hunter Biden laptop).
NY Times has bias as well. But, like the sources above, it has standards and a history of being incredibly accurate.

Also, doing research doesn’t mean actively searching for news that reinforces your deeply-held beliefs. That’s just creating an echo-chamber.
20 years ago, none of the not-fired mainstream dismissed Judith Miller's NYT Iraq reporting.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don’t get my news from them but they’re infinitely better than Epoch Times, Breitbart, and The Blaze, etc as they have some semblance of standards.

You can’t possibly believe that. Child labor is endemic in every manufacturing / mining industry in developing (and some developed) countries. It’s even happening at a Hyundai supplier factory in Alabama.

But since we’re talking about the oil industry, here’s further proof:
Syria’s Oil Industry uses lots of Child Labor - Vice

And yes, Vice is an actual legitimate news source.
The New York Times never treated the Holocaust as an important news story. From the start of the war in Europe to its end nearly six years later, the story of the Holocaust made the Times front page only 26 times out of 24,000 front-page stories, and most of those stories referred to the victims as “refugees” or “persecuted minorities.” In only six of those stories were Jews identified on page one as the primary victims. And to this day, the NYT is a biased, ultra-liberal rag that most of the time does not report on reality, or skews the facts to fit their narrative.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Fake news, if you don’t see it, it’s not happening. Fact!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bingo! This entire relentless push to EV's by government's/media worldwide sure has me on full attention. I don't care if they cook/clean/ and walk on water.....I'll have one purely because I want one, not what a particular state or political party/government wants me to drive. Never in my lifetime has a government told me what I'll be driving in the future. And there are some EV's I actually do want (Lyriq is splendid in and out) I know for a fact they're not for everyone at this point and probably still won't be in another 5-10 years. We'll see.....

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.