GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 Chevy Colorado ZQ8. Overall, I like the truck, but since the weather started getting warmer, I have experienced a problem with starting it when it is over 70 degrees outside, particularly when it is sunny.

The problem:
When I turn the key to the start position, nothing happens. Then, after I release it, the engine turns over and starts. After a couple seconds, the engine stalls. After repeating this sequence a few times, the engine keeps running, but the security light on the dash stays on, indicating there is a problem with the theft-deterrent system or some related thing. If the temperature is cool outside, it starts up normally.

I have an appointment at a Chevy dealer to look at the problem, but being an intermittent problem, I don't have a whole lot of faith that they will find it and fix it. I was wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this problem, and if they might know what causes it. Computer malfunction? Intermittent sensor? Bad software?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
No need to multiple post...your post will be seen if its only posted once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have that exact same probelm. As of today, it's been at the dealer for 28 days.

Started out that it would start, then die, then wouldn't start at all unless I removed the key and keyed it back back up again. Once started, ran fine.

I took it to the dealer and they said they'd have a look. 4 days later the tech couldn't find cause, but could reproduce the problem. They said it was setting codes like crazy but for no apparent reason.

They got with GM tech support directly and apparently GM was able to figure it out (I'm told they usually do. A friend of mine used to be a drivability tech and said that 9 times out of 10 when GM got involved they knew right away what it was.)

Now comes the hard part... actually getting the part delivered (engine harness). After a few more days I started to get really p***ed so I talked to every one I could, including Chevy Customer Assistance. What I was told was that they are remanufactuing the part, but that's all I could get. I figure either...

1. Some jacka** was asleep at the switch and didn't order the right part, or any part.

2. The part didn't fix the problem and the tech is grasping at straws.

3. They actually are remanufactuing the part to fix a factory defect. Recall brewing?

All my friends say to lemon law the thing. In two more days that will be my right. However, they don't just bend over for that sort of thing so I'll probably spend more time trying to get them to buy it back then it's been in the shop. And more importantly, I like that truck and I want it fixed. Until this, there wasn't a single thing I didn't like about it. It was perfect.

I just want it back fixed and working like when I bought it. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by GeneralBracket@Jul 9 2004, 02:52 AM
I have that exact same probelm. As of today, it's been at the dealer for 28 days.

Started out that it would start, then die, then wouldn't start at all unless I removed the key and keyed it back back up again. Once started, ran fine.

I took it to the dealer and they said they'd have a look. 4 days later the tech couldn't find cause, but could reproduce the problem. They said it was setting codes like crazy but for no apparent reason.

They got with GM tech support directly and apparently GM was able to figure it out (I'm told they usually do. A friend of mine used to be a drivability tech and said that 9 times out of 10 when GM got involved they knew right away what it was.)

Now comes the hard part... actually getting the part delivered (engine harness). After a few more days I started to get really p***ed so I talked to every one I could, including Chevy Customer Assistance. What I was told was that they are remanufactuing the part, but that's all I could get. I figure either...

1. Some jacka** was asleep at the switch and didn't order the right part, or any part.

2. The part didn't fix the problem and the tech is grasping at straws.

3. They actually are remanufactuing the part to fix a factory defect. Recall brewing?

All my friends say to lemon law the thing. In two more days that will be my right. However, they don't just bend over for that sort of thing so I'll probably spend more time trying to get them to buy it back then it's been in the shop. And more importantly, I like that truck and I want it fixed. Until this, there wasn't a single thing I didn't like about it. It was perfect.

I just want it back fixed and working like when I bought it. :(
I just got the truck back after sitting for almost a week at the dealer. Supposedly it's fixed, but since the problem usually only manifests itself on warm, sunny days, and yesterday it was cool and rainy, I guess I have to wait for the weather to change before I am fully convinced that it's fixed.

Anyway, after they put it on the computer, it showed an ignition fault, and after they talked to GM tech support, they ordered a new ignition switch, and finally several days later, it was replaced (although the plastic cover on the steering column had pry marks on it that I had to remove as best as I could).

I sure hope that fixes it, and it doesn't turn into a much bigger problem. I'll try to send an update about it next week.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey GeneralBracket,

I got my truck back last Thursday, and the problem appears to be gone. It was a very warm weekend, and it never showed up. Looks like the ignition switch did the trick.
If your problem is the same as mine, I would suggest to the dealer that they replace the ignition switch. I'm sure it's a lot easier to replace than an engine harness.

Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my truck back after 34 days. Seem to be all good now. The tech notes say they replaced the engine harness, but further readingshows they also quietly replaced the ignition switch. Hmmmm. Makes me wonder if the harness didn't fix it and an aggravated tech just threw an ignition switch at the problem and got lucky. Guess I'll never know. If that was the case though, it was 34 days for nothing. Hmph.

I have a TAC case number. Anyone out there that can look it up and tell me what the hell the delay was? If so, email me. [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.