GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://starskytorino.com/

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/movies/...kyandhutch.html

As retreads of 1970s TV shows go, Starsky & Hutch is a giddy, amiable affair as well as a faithful homage to a bygone style.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson ham it up as, respectively, David Starsky and Ken Hutchison, two Los Angeles detectives who embody every TV-detective cliche. Starsky is tightly wound, Hutch is laid-back. They wear disguises (including on-the-button costumes from Easy Rider), they smash up cars (Starsky destroys a parked convertible chasing a purse-snatcher), they face down a crime lord on his home turf (hilariously disrupting a bat mitzvah), they chase girls, and they screech around town in a gaudy muscle car (the beloved red-and-white Ford Torino).

They also get yelled at by the king of exasperated bosses, Captain Doby, who is played in a stroke of casting genius by '70s action icon Fred Williamson. The filmmakers make style-spotting as much fun as the actual chasing-of-bad-guys. Starsky's bulky sweater, Hutch's black turtleneck, the dumpy police station, the bachelor-pad apartments are time capsule treasures.

The Torino in particular gets the holy-relic treatment. Every right turn is a screeching, fishtailing experience. (The car, by the way, has its own Web site, starskytorino.com.)
I only vaguely remember this show from my youth, but I may go see the movie this weekend. :D Hildalgo looks good too, though, depends on what I'm in the mood for tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
In spite of being a dyed-in-the-wool GM guy, I remember fondly Strasky's Torino from the original show.

And though Torinos are hardly the stuff dreams are made of, I still hate seeing any older cars sacrificed for the movies. I read there were at least 10 Torinos made for this movie, and that only a couple survived.

And yes, I was always botherd by The Dukes of Hazzard trashing a classic Charger every week with their ridiculous jumps.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
when i was a little kid i use to watch starsky and hutch.. most memorible was the car, which i now know is a torino..

also what stood out was HuggyBear, da pimp.. i remember telling my dad "i wanna be a pimp like huggybear when i grow up".. he just looked at me and said "son.. you can be whatever you want if you work hard!!"

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Mar 5 2004, 03:57 PM
when i was a little kid i use to watch starsky and hutch..  most memorible was the car, which i now know is a torino.. 

also what stood out was HuggyBear, da pimp.. i remember telling my dad "i wanna be a pimp like huggybear when i grow up".. he just looked at me and said "son.. you can be whatever you want if you work hard!!"
:lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If you are going to see Hidalgo, don't read this.

The History channel had the True Story Of Hidalgo.
It was a research done by a group of horse afficianados (Long Riders Society) and other groups. The author, Fusco, was also interviewed.
Briefly, the groups could not confirm that any of the long rides in the US took place based on no newspaper coverage. And the government of Saudi Arabia denied that the big race ever took place including tht it was held every year for a 1,000 years.
There is also discrepancies of the rider's birth date given thefact that he would have been 2 years old by the dates he gave. The Fort of which he mentions did not fall into the dates he gave as a long rider.
The documentary goes on to dispute his working with Wild Bill Cody's circus. The ledgers of the circus carried the names of all hands (including the cooks and people who erected the tents). His name wasn't mentioned.
The search winds up with the fact that the widow of (Hopkins?) corresponded with the man who made the exploits known.

So, I will see the movie but with a different attitude. Indiana Jones was worth seeing and it was truly fictional.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts