1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SsangYong Tivoli compact crossover SUV arrives
13 Jan, 2015
Steve Walker

SsangYong has officially revealed its new Tivoli crossover at a launch event in Seoul, Korea

The new SsangYong Tivoli has taken its official bow. SsangYong’s B-segment compact crossover will go head-to-head with the likes of Renault’s Captur, Peugeot’s 2008, the forthcoming Mazda CX-3 and, of course, Nissan's Juke when it goes on sale in the UK this summer.

The Tivoli is the first all-new SsangYong produced since the Indian conglomerate Mahindra took a 70 per cent controlling stake in the Korean company back in 2011. It’s also the car that SsangYong executives hope can propel the brand into the minds of a whole new group of global car buyers.

SsangYong rumours: Saab and the US market
SsangYong’s leadership used the occasion of the Tivoli launch to confirm that the brand is looking at the possibility of entering the US market.

“We have put on record that, yes, we are targeting the US market. SsangYong as a flag-bearer for the group in the US makes good sense, not least because Korea has established a good reputation for producing quality vehicles.” Said Mahindra chairman, Anand Mahirinda.

SsangYong Chairman, Yoo-il Lee suggested, however, that the preparations for entry into the US market may take time. “The US is a very difficult market so we have to study it very carefully. We’ve finished the first stage of research into the market but we need a second stage. I can’t tell you when we will go into the US but we will go into the US definitely.”

Reported plans for a rebranding of SsangYong to facilitate its move to the US now appear to be off the agenda and there was no comment on rumours that the company could be interested in buying the Saab brand.

“There have been some reports in the media about us acquiring Saab but all I can do is repeat our standard comment that we don’t comment on speculative media reports.” Said Anand Mahirinda.
CONTINUE AT AUTOEXPRESS.CO.UK

Images credited to and courtesy of AutoExpress.co.uk

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Not really news in that Ssangyong is not a competitor in the US market.

However, there are implications for North America (and other world markets) if/when Mahindra pulls the trigger to recaste Ssangyong with a different brand-identity and/or purchase Saab.

We've been hearing for some time now that Mahindra wants to launch these new raft of Ssangyong products in the United States, but under a different banner. And honestly, I can't blame them, as Ssangyong is a bit tough to say and would arguably hamper sales (though to be fair, I'm sure established players thought the same when Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan arrived decades ago). If that ever happens, the Tivoli would make a seemingly excellent first product to launch on our shores. America is crossover/SUV happy, and by all measures, this is a handsome looking product (though the rear could use some additional work).

The implications get even more serious if Mahindra gets their hands on Saab. Mahindra's own native retail brand isn't ready for the US market. However, the combining of "forces" between Saangyong and Saab could create a credible partnership for Mahindra to enter more mature world markets. Saab will need lots of money and resources to relaunch the brand and introduce new models. Mahindra, which would be footing the bill for both brands, could essentially develop platforms and architectures for both brands to share. In doing so, they could tap former Saab dealers in the NAFTA region to sell both brands -- Saab the more upscale and known European brand, Ssangyoung (or whatever they call it) the lower-end Korean upstart. And if R&D were spread out between Korea, Sweden, and India, they could a great deal of development for both brands affordably. And once those products age, those same "used" platforms could get filtered down to Mahindra's own brand for emerging markets.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ssangyoung used to have daring designs, now this looks just like a Yeti
It kind of does. I was not a huge, huge fan of their previous designs, but this one does look a bit like the just-released MG CS/GTS crossover SUV in China (which, ironically, is said to be based on the old Ssangyong Korando from when SAIC owned the brand):

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
the tivoli looks nice enough but I wonder if the market place NEEDS yet another brand offering another imitation Toyota? as there is no mention of why this is innovative andOR better in any way then the established marks
personally I would imagine the US market would have more use for Mahindra's "Basic" pick up+ SUV they showed a few years ago as they offer something both missing and asked for in a low cost "simple" off road ready truck + truck based SUV

I know I would have at least looked at buying one

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
SsangYong could bring over the Tivoli, Korando, Kyron, Rexton W, and maybe the Actyon Sports. Most of them probably need a good redesign in order to be relevant but nevertheless the essence of the product is there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Now that epsilon II is coming to the end of its life cycle, it makes some sense to have dragged the pain of Saab out with its spyker ownership to keep that platform out of Chinese competitors hands for as long as it could. Sad but reality.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Not really news in that Ssangyong is not a competitor in the US market.

However, there are implications for North America (and other world markets) if/when Mahindra pulls the trigger to recaste Ssangyong with a different brand-identity and/or purchase Saab.

We've been hearing for some time now that Mahindra wants to launch these new raft of Ssangyong products in the United States, but under a different banner. And honestly, I can't blame them, as Ssangyong is a bit tough to say and would arguably hamper sales (though to be fair, I'm sure established players thought the same when Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan arrived decades ago). If that ever happens, the Tivoli would make a seemingly excellent first product to launch on our shores. America is crossover/SUV happy, and by all measures, this is a handsome looking product (though the rear could use some additional work).

The implications get even more serious if Mahindra gets their hands on Saab. Mahindra's own native retail brand isn't ready for the US market. However, the combining of "forces" between Saangyong and Saab could create a credible partnership for Mahindra to enter more mature world markets. Saab will need lots of money and resources to relaunch the brand and introduce new models. Mahindra, which would be footing the bill for both brands, could essentially develop platforms and architectures for both brands to share. In doing so, they could tap former Saab dealers in the NAFTA region to sell both brands -- Saab the more upscale and known European brand, Ssangyoung (or whatever they call it) the lower-end Korean upstart. And if R&D were spread out between Korea, Sweden, and India, they could a great deal of development for both brands affordably. And once those products age, those same "used" platforms could get filtered down to Mahindra's own brand for emerging markets.
Toyota from Toyoda because its easer to say and Nissan changed there name from Datsun names. I really hate Japanese cars but there always was a small place in my hart for the Datsun 240Z

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do we really need another auto manufacturer in America? I think we are over saturated already. Seems like everyone wants to come to America and peddle their dubious and untested questionable automobiles.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Agree it's hard to say. How about Young-Son Ravioli?

Styling looks A-OK and up for the Amurrican market. LEDs in headlights, blinkers in side mirrors, rear spoiler, s'n'oof, and what could be construed as evolving tail fins.

A flat-bottomed steering wheel and what look like two Super-Secret storage compartments up on the dash round out the contemporary, button-laden interior.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
It looks ok, but the US market is a difficult one to put it lightly. They need to bring quality vehicles on par with Hyundai, an unlimited mile warranty, and good service.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We've been hearing for some time now that Mahindra wants to launch these new raft of Ssangyong products in the United States, but under a different banner. And honestly, I can't blame them, as Ssangyong is a bit tough to say and would arguably hamper sales (though to be fair, I'm sure established players thought the same when Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan arrived decades ago).
My comcern is that the Chinese and Indian automakers will try to use names previously used in the US so that familiarity will gain some customers.

Maybe Studebaker or even Pontiac could possibly wind up being a new Asian brand name...usually all it takes is the $$$ to buy it away from someone holding the trademark.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Nobody under 99 remembers Packard or Studebaker, at least for practical marketing purposes at any rate.

Pontiac and El Camino will always live on in the Futility Reborn Section at GMI.

There's Oldsmobile. Mercury. Plymouth. DeSoto.

Or my excellent suggestion, YOUNG-SON RAVIOLI. I don't think you can do better than that. :cool: I say that with all humility. :p:

Look. Who eats canned ravioli? Young sons.

You could link up with Chef Boy Ar Dee for an ad campaign

targeting 10-25-year-old-males and, say with the promise of a free case per month for the duration of the car loan, these things would sell like free **** at a sewage plant.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.