GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently chevy has been using the SS name frequently with recent models or upcoming models.. SSR, Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS,Silverado SS.. and rumors of a Colorado SS, Colbalt SS,Trailblazer SS theres also the concept car just called SS..

I've been growing concerned that the use of the SS designation on cars that some feel dont meet the performance requirements to earn the name, might be harmful. for example the 00-03 Monte Carlo SS's only had a 3800 gen II engine, same as that which was in the LS model impala of the same years. Now, both the impala and monte have supercharges added and SS designation, and the LS models stick with the 3800 gen II. Some b-body impala SS owners along with other people curse the w-body impala alone, dont even mention the supercharged 04 impala SS to them..but i beleive the fact is the 04 IMP ss is quicker then the b-body SS.. the SSR does have some power to it, but from what i hear it weighs too much, and of course its ugly. As for the Colbalt, if there is an SS, it'll probably be supercharged 4 cylinder.

the definition of an SS seems to be blurred right now. IMO, there should probably be some criteria for a car to meet before it should be intitled to the historic SS designation. HP ratings alone wont do it, since we're dealing with a wide variety of vehicle weights. maybe a minimum power/weight ratio? minium 1/4 mile track time? I think this is crutial, before chevy takes the SS designation to being nothing more then a trim level and we'll think no more of it, then we do the LS trim levels.

ok, just wanted to vent!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Different time period, different market, stricter emission laws, high gas prices.
If you want any SS car to be a fire breathin machine like the ones back in the 60's and 70's, buy the car and buy the performance parts you need.

One more thing....the new SS badges look like 55...use the badges that were on the camaro. just had to vent that out.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by GNX238@Feb 26 2004, 01:25 PM
One more thing....the new SS badges look like 55...use the badges that were on the camaro.  just had to vent that out.
i like all the SS emblems, the one from the impala, the monte carlo one, camaro one too.. but since you brought it up, i think they should all have a universal design, regardless of which one, although i favor the current impala one. BTW, when i said ALL, i mean all chevy ones, just in case someone tries to post a pic of that funny looking holden ss emblem.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I dont think they have to meet any type of specific criteria other then they have to the sportiest version of the model.
I could go on about how back in the 60's you could get a I-6 SS car. Super Sport package was just an apperance package for a long time, and not till the muscle cars starting rolling around did the SS gain the meaning we know of it today as being the baddest of that specific car.
Now with that being said, why cant the SS badge be used now?
With GM's Performance Division now starting to get into teh grove, Im sure any car with SS badges will get special treatment from these select few.
They should get upgraded performance package. Bigger brakes, better handling, lower ride high, bigger wheels, stronger engine, gfx package as an option along with nicer amenities inside the car like a full instrument cluster with white face guages, better seats, and other options that can be added like audio systems and such to attract the younger crowd. With the SS badge carries a lot of prestiege and I think that any car that can back it up should be allowed to cary the badge.
Look at the Ion Redline. 205hp supercharged motor, bigger brakes, tighter suspension, better seats, bigger wheels, gfx package... the whole package that appeals to the market its going after. And it shows that you can get this for around 20k.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
SS should stand for what it has always stood for. The performence version of a particular Chevy model. Way back when it was about V-8's but that era is gone. A super/turbo charged Cobalt with the sport brakes and suspension is as entitled to the SS badge as the old Chevy Nova SS was...... I like the SS badge in chrome.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I too do not feel it's such a bad thing to be putting the SS on any of these cars. People want performance, and some people want it in different flavors. If a midsize car is your thing, then the Impala SS gives you family verstility while letting you have some fun. If you are into a fwd sport compact, the Cobalt SS will be sure to please. Those of you who are into trucks, the Silverado SS.... well, I don't think that's such a great thing considering it's newer than the Lightning, yet it still lags behind in the power department... but hey, it's a start.

As far as the SS badges... The reason the SS badge on the 4th gen Camaros looked the way they did were because of SLP. If the SS had come from Chevrolet, i'm sure it would have been more on the match of the Monte SS looks.

People complain because there isn't anything sporty. Then people complain when they give us a SS.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Feb 26 2004, 08:01 PM
SS should stand for what it has always stood for. The performence version of a particular Chevy model. Way back when it was about V-8's but that era is gone. A super/turbo charged Cobalt with the sport brakes and suspension is as entitled to the SS badge as the old Chevy Nova SS was...... I like the SS badge in chrome.
i agree. while there are still many important buyers out there who know (remember) what SS used to mean (when it was first used), there are many others who don't know or care about pre 2004 vehicles. new car buyers don't all want V8's and RWD's. while it'd be great to have those in the chevrolet lineup, i think chev'd rather utilize the well-recognized (for general performance and style, not V8's and RWD) SS badge for vehciles that appel to a broader market.

that said, can't wait to see the aveo SS :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just so we're clear, i never said it had to be v8's or RWD.. nor did i say it was a bad thing to use the SS designation.. hell, i'd vote for a Tahoe SS.. only said that a certain performance guideline should be expected of any vehicle wearing the SS badge..

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 26 2004, 08:10 PM
.... then there are some cars that just shouldnt get the badge...

The Aveo is one, Malibu is another.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

The Aveo is one, Malibu is another.
I agree...then again...isn't that what the "extreme" editions are for? I dont really thingk that the cobalt should get an "SS" version...it's just not....sporty...I mean I can understand why they are doing it because of the cobalts likeness to the corvette...but... I just dont agree with it...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Feb 26 2004, 03:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Feb 26 2004, 03:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul8488@Feb 26 2004, 08:10 PM

The Aveo is one, Malibu is another. [/b][/quote]
just as the concepts were named, aveo and malibu should get the "extreme" versions.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Feb 26 2004, 08:35 PM
just so we're clear, i never said it had to be v8's or RWD.. nor did i say it was a bad thing to use the SS designation.. hell, i'd vote for a Tahoe SS.. only said that a certain performance guideline should be expected of any vehicle wearing the SS badge..
noted. i got lazy and didn't want to write "certain performance guideline "... but i understand what you were saying.

i'd buy an '04 chevette in a second!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Back in '97 when I was shopping for a Cavalier, I was excited when I saw an "SS" model at the local dealer. Turns out it was nothing more than a decal and a spoiler. :plasma:
Any method Chev uses to bring more performance models out is fine with me.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
SS is used to often they should have used a simple S or even the old RS for most of those models.Then use SS for TRUE performance models AKA AWD or RWD with 300+HP. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by demonspeed@Feb 26 2004, 03:07 PM

As far as the SS badges... The reason the SS badge on the 4th gen Camaros looked the way they did were because of SLP. If the SS had come from Chevrolet, i'm sure it would have been more on the match of the Monte SS looks.

Yeah the ones SLP used were the ones from the 60's and 70's but just changed the colors. Those are the ones that should be on them

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You know I am getting old and a little slow. Mabey that is the Lutz plan. You got the GTO over 30 grand, the SSR over 40 grand, CADDY'S and whatever else is coming that will cost a lot. These cars appeal to the boomers who grew up with V8 muscle power and can afford them and younger buyers who have the bucks to afford them. Then your going to get Cobalt, Nomad, Solstice, G6 type performence cars for the people that grew up on 4 and 6 bangers, the tuner crowd who could care less about V8's and RWD. Lutz maybe a spooky dude.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by yoblues@Feb 28 2004, 05:32 PM
You know I am getting old and a little slow. Mabey that is the Lutz plan. You got the GTO over 30 grand, the SSR over 40 grand, CADDY'S and whatever else is coming that will cost a lot. These cars appeal to the boomers who grew up with V8 muscle power and can afford them and younger buyers who have the bucks to afford them. Then your going to get Cobalt, Nomad, Solstice, G6 type performence cars for the people that grew up on 4 and 6 bangers, the tuner crowd who could care less about V8's and RWD. Lutz maybe a spooky dude.
huh.. that all seems off topic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts