GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spy Shots: Opel Insignia OPC

Posted on Tuesday 19 August 2008

Less than a month out from its world debut at the London Motor Show, the Opel Insignia has been spotted once again testing at the Nurburgring and this time the prototype is thought to be a new high-performance variant. The car is expected to fall under General Motors’ OPC performance division and will likely be powered by a new twin-turbo V6 petrol engine.

OPC, which stands for ‘Opel Performance Center,’ is the name given to models developed through by GM’s official in-house tuner in Europe. The OPC cars typically feature minor engine and handling mods as well as styling and performance upgrades such as bigger wheels and sporty bodykits. In the UK, the car will likely be known as the Vauxhall Insignia VXR.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/spy-shots-opel-insignia-opc/

·
Registered
480 Posts
Spy Shots: Opel Insignia OPC

Posted on Tuesday 19 August 2008

Less than a month out from its world debut at the London Motor Show, the Opel Insignia has been spotted once again testing at the Nurburgring and this time the prototype is thought to be a new high-performance variant. The car is expected to fall under General Motors’ OPC performance division and will likely be powered by a new twin-turbo V6 petrol engine.

OPC, which stands for ‘Opel Performance Center,’ is the name given to models developed through by GM’s official in-house tuner in Europe. The OPC cars typically feature minor engine and handling mods as well as styling and performance upgrades such as bigger wheels and sporty bodykits. In the UK, the car will likely be known as the Vauxhall Insignia VXR.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/spy-shots-opel-insignia-opc/

I thought that Gm's Twin Turbo HF V6 engine was cancelled?

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's a low blow below the belt. Come on, it doesn't look like an appliance.

True,but to me at least, there seems to be a bit of camry in the front end.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Can you say Grand National?
No I can't. Its not RWD, its not a 2-door and it doesn't have a sinister Darth Vader styling to it. Grand National should never be used as a nameplate again. It won't be special like the original was and its pretty much the only hardcore performance nameplate Buick has. They should leave it a happy memory of the day when an 87 Buick would maul an 87 Ferrari on the drag strip.

It shouldn't ever be called Chevelle either. If anything can be a Chevelle its what we call the G8, a Commodore. But I'd rather Chevelle stay dead until GM's ready to give it a proper 2 door, large RWD sedan treatment.

Now can you say Aura Red Line or Malibu SS or G6 GXP (this one really should happen, a turbo G6 would really help poncho's image)?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Let's see, we'll put corporate radios in Saabs and generally turn them into an Opels with different styling. Take the hatchs away from Saab and give those to Opel. Install Saabs Cross Wheel drive on this Opel. As several people have said, why not just kill Saab and keep the engineers?

As to this particular vehicle. If produced as a Saturn Red Line, or a Saturn in regular performance guise, these cars would take sales from the Chevy, Buick and Cadillac so we know this isn't going to happen.

As far as I'm concerned, until GM figures out a way to rationalize their product offerings, particularly in the US, we'll get very few of the really desirable products. Further, I have doubts GM will be able to stop the US losses in time to save the company! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nice, can we say Aura Redline... FINALLY??? :D yea right... :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts