GM Inside News Forum banner

What should Ford call the EcoBoost powered Taurus?

• Taurus ST

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Taurus SHO

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Taurus SVT

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford News2010 Ford Taurus SHO/ST [Spied again] LLN

In January, Ford announced it would make the unprecedented move of redesigning its Taurus sedan after a year on the market, and today our spy photographers captured another round of images of the SHO-inspired performance model.

The current Ford Taurus was unveiled in early 2007 as the 2008 Ford Five Hundred. It was then renamed to Taurus in an effort to take advantage of the nameplate’s strong mindshare. The car was “facelifted” to give it more style than the original 2005 Five Hundred. Unfortunately, the move was not enough to boost sales or public perception of the model.

As a result, Ford CEO Alan Mulally ordered a complete redesign. Less than six months ago, he told the press the 2010 Taurus would be “the one we should have made originally.”

Ford has decided to combine elements of its “Bold American” and European “Kinetic” design language for the 2010 model. While this isn’t Ford’s all-new design language (which will debut in several years), it is certainly a move in the right direction.

Although the car spotted today was heavily clad in camouflage, an earlier image leak and our artist’s illustration show what the production Taurus will look like. The basic three-bar grille remains, but it has been grafted onto a trapezoidal opening. A similarly shaped inverted air intake sits below the grille. The headlights have some detailing similar to other American Ford products, but their shape is decidedly European.

The latest shots are of the hi-po model and are packing the 3.5L, twin turbo V6. We hear it should be good for around 350hp. It will be AWD only and will have Ford’s new SR1 (Shock Ratio 1) suspension used in the Lincoln MKS. Expect some special chrome accents on the front end, twin pipes out back and 20 inch wheels on all four corners.

While some think this super-sedan will wear the “SHO” nameplate, a few well-placed sources have told us to expect a euro-inspired “ST” badge. We should know for sure in early 2009.

Interior shots show an upscale interior, complete with a twin ****pit design similar to that seen in the Chevy Malibu.

Is it a groundbreaking design? Not especially. Will it allow Ford to compete effectively against its Asian competition? Absolutely — and that’s what counts.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I don't know the history of Taurus names so I wont tarnish your poll. :D
There really isn't much to know. There's no name cachet with a "Taurus ST" or "Taurus SVT" because they've never existed. However, the Taurus SHO (Super High Output) was a high performance model produced for ten years starting in 1989. I think Ford should revive the SHO name because of the following:

One, if Mulally can revive Taurus as a nameplate, how big a deal would it be to add SHO after it?

Two, as touched on, the SHO was made for ten years. It's been gone for a while but at least it has a history.

Three, similar to two, what's so special about the ST or SVT badges anyway? ST is used on some European models and briefly on the NA Focus; no history with the Taurus. The SVT badge was used on the Mustang, Focus, and F-150 Lightning; no history with the Taurus. In either case you're talking about a somewhat obscure badge in that you don't exactly see them everyday. The SHO badge may ultimately be the same way but it can at least be directly associated with the Taurus.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I wonder if the SHO name could also be use for others cars (Mustang for example althought Ford could revive the short-lived SVO)?
I think you mean SVT- Special Vehicle Team. They were the ones responsible for suping up all the vehicles.

I think SHO would work well with the Taurus. Ford will name it something else until it stops selling and then backpedal to name it SHO to revive interest.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
How do they know it is "hi po" and biturbo? Just from the twin pipes? The Fusion has those, so I wouldn't make that assumption unless they have something else to base it on.

And the more "spy" shots I see, the less it looks like the legendary "cell phone" pic and the more it looks like an MKS with detail changes.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
SHO would be a good choice then, as long as the Ecoboost lives up to the hype (which I'm sure it will). Large cars need everything they can get to boost sales at the moment (as long as they don't appear desperate). Did the SHOs of old, have a unique powerplant/power rating or could you get the same engine in a different spec?

For instance, the BF Falcon had 2 different V8s and only the 3V OHC was available in the Luxury spec. XR (Sports models) Got the tougher 4V DOHC unit, by definition, a High Output variant.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
SHO would be a good choice then, as long as the Ecoboost lives up to the hype (which I'm sure it will). Large cars need everything they can get to boost sales at the moment (as long as they don't appear desperate). Did the SHOs of old, have a unique powerplant/power rating or could you get the same engine in a different spec?

For instance, the BF Falcon had 2 different V8s and only the 3V OHC was available in the Luxury spec. XR (Sports models) Got the tougher 4V DOHC unit, by definition, a High Output variant.

SHOs used a yamaha sourced Yamaha v6 or v8 designed specifically for the Taurus SHO. In fact I don't believe this family was used in anything but a taurus until it showed up in the current Volvo S80 and SC90.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I voted SHO.
Just the fact that car was compared to a BMW at the time and the performance per dollar was outrageous. Later generations sadly couldn't keep up with the times but it's always been a wonderful car. There are still many around dominating the drag strip and autocross courses right now.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
For those who don't remember the SHO, it was a special high performance engine manufacturered by Yamaha, for FORD. The only limitations of use was the FWD of the Taurus. Today with AWD, and State of the Art suspension dynamics, power transfers shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'd like to see the name: Taurus ST, so very continental, no pun intended! You just have to like that Mulally, he's a mans man, speaks right up, and makes no excuses!

:drive:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do they know it is "hi po" and biturbo? Just from the twin pipes? The Fusion has those, so I wouldn't make that assumption unless they have something else to base it on.

And the more "spy" shots I see, the less it looks like the legendary "cell phone" pic and the more it looks like an MKS with detail changes.
I think thats the beauty of it. Ford has a way of tastefully dressing special or high performance models that really dont look radically different from their naturally aspired brothern. Imagine a slightly lower body (very slight), a little shirt up front, and maybe an optional spoiler. Also maybe a revised exuast pipe that may be larger or hopefully have a throaty tone. As well as the obvious DI or SHO/ ST badges on rear and side.

I voted SHO.
Just the fact that car was compared to a BMW at the time and the performance per dollar was outrageous. Later generations sadly couldn't keep up with the times but it's always been a wonderful car. There are still many around dominating the drag strip and autocross courses right now.
Yeah, I think its obviosly better to have a DI V6 in the generation because that yamaha V8 from the Volvo that almost went to MKS is lackluster.
And for Mikmak, here is the old Taurus SHO's through the decades

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I absolutely adore Taurus SHOs. Please call the next one SHO! A friend on mine has an '89. Sumbitch, can that car move!

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
I think it should be SHO also. Why? Well, if Ford plans to put a hot twin turbo V6 into the Taurus & let it be only for this performance model, then it shares it's heritage with the first SHOs. The V8 SHO didn't have much change with the exterior styling. At least there were some small touches on the V6 models that you could tell an SHO from a GL model. Also, Mikmak, I still want a Falcon. If this new global RWD chassis spawn a new Falcon & Taurus together (& look similar), then I'll be a happy man.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I'm a little skeptical that a hot-rod Taurus is even likely. That would make it rather expensive for this vehicle's market to handle. The MKS certainly could make some sales with such a drivetrain however.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
What should Ford call the EcoBoost powered Taurus?

Montego-XR or Marauder :yup:

but imho Marauder would be better as the whatever-on-black-with-black-waterfall-&-godhead appearance pkg - also offered on every Merc as a complement to the VOGA
sorta but not really a his'n'hers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts