·
Registered
447 Posts
Cadillac XT5 Forum

Cadillac XT5 Crossover Spied Testing
Looks to be a similar size as the outgoing SRX
November 4, 2014
Automobile Mag

Cadillac is hard at work preparing the replacement for the SRX crossover, and our spy photographers caught a prototype of this new model testing. Likely to be called XT5 to fit in with Cadillac’s new nomenclature, this luxury crossover should debut sometime in 2015.

The current Cadillac SRX is built on GM’s Theta platform that’s closely related to the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain. We expect the new model to be based on an updated version of this platform, as this prototype looks to be a similar size as the outgoing SRX. The heavy camouflage leaves a lot to the imagination, but the Cadillac XT5 does look to continue on Cadillac’s sharply creased, angular design language.

Expect to see Cadillac’s signature vertical headlights with LED accents and chrome grille up front. The camouflage on this prototype completely obstructs the rear end of the XT5, but we can see that the new crossover appears to have much shorter front and rear overhangs for a trimmer, tighter profile overall.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Camouflage is actually doing their job! The first photos made ​​me wonder about their size... But looking in detail these new screenshots (and comparing with photos of the prototypes of the current SRX), I'm pretty sure it's going to be pretty similar in size.

Here it has been commented that the next SRX will increase in size over the new C1UX platform (Epsilon CUV), and after seeing the prototypes I think the increase will be minimal! I'm thinking an increase of only one or two inches: 191-192 inches long.

I guess the new midsize CUV Chevrolet on this same platform (C1UX, short version) will be something like the Nissan Murano or Ford Edge, located between the next generation of Equinox and Traverse (C1YX, long version); with ~ 192 inches long. :ponder:

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
From what little we see it looks promising, but still can't get behind the new crossover names. Would have preferred SR6 or SX6 or something that plays on the SRX name, just as as the CTS was the bases for the CT6, etc (though Suzuki may have had an issue if there was an eventual SX4 and Toyota would have an issue if there was an eventual SR5).

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
The current SRX looks good, but I'm hoping for a dynamic design jump and not evolutionary.
The SRX is pretty nice offering, so if Cadillac can make some decent improvements, dial the styling in even more, add a Vsport variant and then and make the interior as nice as the ELR, I don't see how it couldn't do even better than before.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
From the second picture (profile pic showing driver side) it looks like the CUV has a pickup trip rake. Why so much gap over the rear wheels?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I love how the author says it looks to continue Cadillacs angular design language when you can not see anything under the camouflage.
The new SRX/XT5 will sell tons. The Cadillac design language plays well with SUV's.....looks unnatural on cars....I think sales prove that out....Only SUV's have sold well with the new design language.....

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
The new SRX/XT5 will sell tons. The Cadillac design language plays well with SUV's.....looks unnatural on cars....I think sales prove that out....Only SUV's have sold well with the new design language.....
Issue is not design language

1.) SUVs, CUVs MUCH more popular than sedans in this price range...across all manufacturers
2.) Caddy sedan prices....all models.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I was really hoping this wasn't the SRX. The mirrors...
Still might not be production parts, they look really goofy.

The current SRX looks good, but I'm hoping for a dynamic design jump and not evolutionary.
The current SRX is a good seller so I doubt the changes will be revolutionary. That is a gamble IMHO, GM did evolutionary on the trucks and it's not working out, we'll see how it does on Camaro.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Still might not be production parts, they look really goofy.

The current SRX is a good seller so I doubt the changes will be revolutionary. That is a gamble IMHO, GM did evolutionary on the trucks and it's not working out, we'll see how it does on Camaro.

That's such BS, The trucks have outsold Ford for the last two months.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Looks to have a better/more useful roofline (and better/less awkward looking as well).

But the next gen really needs to go RWD-based; Buick can handle this segment (Lincoln, Lexus, Acura).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I see a lot of similarities between it and the current model, so this is definitely an evolutionary design, which is the smart move in my opinion. The headlight setup looks to be continuing the trend started with the new CTS and Escalade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.