GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not feelin' it at all.

Possibly even worse than when Chrysler tried to make the Durango look like a mini-van.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Wow...

I am not too sure where they are going with that step up in the back, it kind of breaks up the lines of the vehicle, and makes it heavy towards the rear.

I will give Ford the benefit of the doubt right now and surmise that the lighting, bumpers, etc are all forms of camouflage, as they are extremely dated looking, especially for a 2011 product.

I was originally quite bummed that they didn't adopt the styling of the concept, however, it does seem that it is making its way in here and there. I am also getting more of a raised wagon feel from this rather than the "still and SUV" vibe from the concept.

Overall, I am very disappointed so far, however, I do believe that my feelings could change once they get more of the final body parts on.

-Chase

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'll wait until full prototypes are out and about these mules really don't tell us much at all other than the increased ride height and the mixture of ford flex and taurus x styling I'll be sure to keep an eye out for these at MPG

·
Registered
240 Posts
Guys...Its a mule. Its a hodge podge of sheetmetal duct taped together for testing. The real thing won't look anything like this.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Guys...Its a mule. Its a hodge podge of sheetmetal duct taped together for testing. The real thing won't look anything like this.
Yes this is a mule NOT a prototype as such criticism should be held off until full prototypes are spotted out in the wild. Mules are basically bits and pieces of sheetmetal from different cars slapped together for testing purposes. Early Lincoln MKT mules were basically Taurus X's with the Lincoln MKT grille up front. However the increased ride height does hint that these Frankenstein cars are probably testing 2011 ford explorer components

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
^ I got to agree with you on that they are just testing the platform and maybe a 4wd system but the interesting part its the ride height

·
Registered
240 Posts
so much for being an off roader.
But like what was mentioned above. How many people use their explorers off road now? There are even many jeeps that have never been off-road except when they pull in on the grass in their front yard to wash them. As long as someone can pull a bass boat or a couple of jet skis then i don't think there will be a problem.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
ughhhhhhhhhh come on thats just terrible. what happened that that idea about it being a smaller more offroad specific suv?
That's the Ford Everest, which is still under consideration to be sold here as a companion to the Ford F-100.

For this Explorer, engines will be 2.0L turbo and 3.5L turbo.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I have to say that this is probably just a test mule.

GM will be doing something similar in the near future. I hope that both automakers continue to offer a robust, truck based BOF product for those that want and need it. But the vast majority of drivers are pavement-bound and a FWD platform that eases weight and adds to packaging flexibility is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I think the only Ford SUV that will stay in BOF will be the expedition and navigator, the rest will go to unibody, atleast Ford its keeping the explorer name and not replacing it like GM did since the Traverse its replacing the trailblazer

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I am guessing it will have three rows of seats...? Since the Taurus X is disappearing, I guess the divisions among Ford's crossovers are butter knife thin; which is a step up from razor thin.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I hope it will a) have more suspension travel than the current Ex, and b) still have a 4WD system with a 2 speed transfer case.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts