GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I need to get a daily driver and have been agonizing over the options. Maybe you guys have some ideas?

What I want:
- $10k budget (obviously used is ok)
- GM
- RWD or AWD
- manual transmission
- 4 doors
- good handling
- reasonable crash safety (airbags etc)
- decent mileage (maybe 18/26 or better)

As far as I can see I'm SOL. My need for safety rules out anything before the 90s. I've come up with some crazy schemes like lowering an S10 Blazer or doing an engine/trans swap on a 94-96 Impala, but they're pretty pie-in-the-sky and would probably cost more than $10k when all is said and done.

Seems like if I want to stick with GM I'll have to drive a beater until I can afford a CTS. But that's tough to swallow when a 90s BMW 3-series or Lincoln LS fits all my requirements. The 03+ Saab 9-3s are close but I really prefer RWD.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
SOL ain't the word! If you can forget RWD, go for an Aurora. They're amazingly cheap secondhand buys, ride well, drive about as good as a large FWD sedan can, and are well-built, attractive and quite luxurious cars. I can't think of a better used car bargain.

If you're hell-bent on RWD, which rules out anything GM unless you want one of the later B-body products, I'd go for a Lincoln LS or BMW 3 series. My 328i has been very reliable. The Lincoln's probably much better value for the money though. Drive one, you'll be impressed with it.

Hitman1970 said:
Cadillac STS. Several availabe nationwide for under $10K
Yikes! That doesn't bode well for Cadillac...

But if you can find an STS for $10k, I'd say hell yeah, go for it!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
- $10k budget (obviously used is ok)
- GM
- RWD or AWD
- manual transmission
- 4 doors
- good handling
- reasonable crash safety (airbags etc)
- decent mileage (maybe 18/26 or better)
You need to take out that "- GM" part because GM doesn't have that kind of car for you.

I am sure you are well aware of that...

·
Registered
866 Posts
The only thing I can think of that fits the criteria is the Catera

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
well i was going to recommend Saturn Aura XR but then saw manual as req. and rwd.

...how about 2004 GTO!?!?!?!?! That is a sport sedan with the best GM interior from 2004 bar none. 6speed v8 rwd...oh you want four doors....hmmmmmm... yeah I don't think GM has anything for you then.

sorry, stick to Lincoln? They made LS' with manuals?
please don't pay the bmw tax.
CobaltSS

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Get an E36 3-series. They are currently very cheap, extremely solid, offer great gas milage, and are plenty quick. They are RWD and come in manual.

And the "BMW Tax" cobaltsscrazy speaks of sure as hell doesn't apply to the E36's. They are damn cheap for what you get from them. Easily under 10K. I would suggest looking for the 97+ 328's.

-Chase

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
sorry, stick to Lincoln? They made LS' with manuals?
Yes, and pretty rare. Only the v6 LS had it.

It was the same manual tranny in the Jag S-Type v6 (yes, there were manual S-Types).

The manual v6 LS is supposedly a pretty fun car.

If you can find one, I would guess you can buy one for $12k-ish.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
SOL ain't the word! If you can forget RWD, go for an Aurora. They're amazingly cheap secondhand buys, ride well, drive about as good as a large FWD sedan can, and are well-built, attractive and quite luxurious cars. I can't think of a better used car bargain.

If you're hell-bent on RWD, which rules out anything GM unless you want one of the later B-body products, I'd go for a Lincoln LS or BMW 3 series. My 328i has been very reliable. The Lincoln's probably much better value for the money though. Drive one, you'll be impressed with it.
Agreed all the way.......

I don't think you'll find a GM RWD'er for $10K or under.....like he said, if you absolutely have to have GM, you'd be well to start looking at FWD'ers like the Seville STS & so forth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, this forum moves fast. Thanks for the input so far.

I had thought of the Catera, but it's auto only. The Aurora and Seville STS hadn't occurred to me, but they're auto only as well.

Sounds like I was right that there isn't anything that meets all my criteria. So I'll have to compromise somehow. Gonna have to ponder which would bug me the least.

If I drop the "GM" part I'm pretty sure I'd go with the Lincoln or the E36. KBB says an 01 LS is about $8k and a 98 328i is about $7k. I'm not sure which I'd find more sacrilegious -- a BMW or a Ford. The BMW is older but seems like it would be easier to find parts for.

I'm having a hard time getting "enthused" about cars that lack any of the other features, so if I decide to stick to GM I'll probably lower my budget down to beater levels, do the best I can with that, and start saving my pennies for a CTS.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It was the same manual tranny in the Jag S-Type v6 (yes, there were manual S-Types).

The manual v6 LS is supposedly a pretty fun car..
I've drove a S-Type 5-speed, it was actually a really cool car. It was AWD and all!

And as for the LS's, I love the LS's. But the V6 I rode in prior to my friend getting his LS V8 was terrible slow IMO. I know the V6's come with MT, but if I was set on a LS, I would deffinatly go V8!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Or how about not at all! More like "Its Subaru (totally)"
Ah, c'mon now, there are a bunch of things that Saab did to change it from an Impreza (lol!)

In reality, there are a couple big differences- the suspension is different (and supposedly much better in the Saab) and the sheet metal is about 100x better, IMO...oh, and you can't forget the Saab badge- that makes it a GM to the majority of the public, as they don't know any better anyway ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts