GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sent in by "KCM", I received two exclusive images of the production Chevy Beat/Daewoo Matiz out in the buffs. The eye candy here is the fact that, albeit showing only the front fascia, the prototype spotted is undisguised (not fully, but close). Due to go on sale in various markets by 2009, the upcoming subcompact car designed by the folks at GMDAT will retain nearly all the prominent cues of the Chevrolet Beat Concept - its precursor...
http://thecarblogger.blogspot.com/2008/04/spied-2010-chevrolet-beatdaewoo-matiz.html

More images at the link.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
What happened with the wheels? They look like 10"s!

I am diggin' that tribal paint scheme though.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I hope nobody ever breaks the headlight on this thing.......insurance companies would have to write the car off!! They almost touch the taillights!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bet my foot is londer than the diameter of the wheels.

I'm diggin the front look. Can't wait to see what the production model will look like. I have to wait until then to draw any conclusion.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
That looks like a Kei Car! Way too small to be a Yaris competitor.
It IS smaller than the Yaris. The Matiz/Spark competes in the international "A" segment, with the Opel Agila, Fiat Panda, etc.

The Aveo, Yaris, Fit, etc. are "B" segment cars.

Kei cars are smaller than A-segment, and are sometimes referred to as "Sub-A" class, though they've been growing in size to where they're almost A-sized. The current Spark/Matiz rides an enlarged version of an old Suzuki Kei platform.

I'm not sure which platform the Beat will use. The current model's platform is rather ancient, which leads me to believe, given Suzuki's stake in Daewoo, that maybe the Beat will use the very competent platform that underpins the Suzuki Swift and Opel Agila. It'll need a modern chassis to be taken seriously in crucial markets like Europe. I don't want GM to make this nifty little model just another "Blue-Light Special".

That grille treatment is pure Korean-market Daewoo though. I'll bet the Chevy "Twin Port" grille will look better!

The wheels look so tiny because this class of car is very tall in order to utilise space. Nearly every car on the planet in this segment looks under-wheeled! Even 14" wheels look tiny on these cars. I don't know why some of you complain though. The GMT900 pickups look cartoonishly ridiculous with those huge wheelwells and small wheels. At least the tiny wheels on small cars fill out the damn wheel opening...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'll need one for each foot.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
It IS smaller than the Yaris. The Matiz/Spark competes in the international "A" segment, with the Opel Agila, Fiat Panda, etc.

The Aveo, Yaris, Fit, etc. are "B" segment cars.

Kei cars are smaller than A-segment, and are sometimes referred to as "Sub-A" class, though they've been growing in size to where they're almost A-sized. The current Spark/Matiz rides an enlarged version of an old Suzuki Kei platform.

I'm not sure which platform the Beat will use. The current model's platform is rather ancient, which leads me to believe, given Suzuki's stake in Daewoo, that maybe the Beat will use the very competent platform that underpins the Suzuki Swift and Opel Agila. It'll need a modern chassis to be taken seriously in crucial markets like Europe. I don't want GM to make this nifty little model just another "Blue-Light Special".
The Beat is on a all new GM platform.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts