GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Spies in Sweden snapped photos of a prototype that appears to be a next-generation Buick LaCrosse, but there's more going on here than meets the eye. According to a check of the prototype's license plate information, the car is registered to Saab and was built by Holden. The car is also listed as having a 260 hp engine four-cylinder — the type GM officials have hinted might show up in the Pontiac G8 and other large cars.

continue at the link

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
We'll see a 300 hp turbocharged 2.0 litre in the VERY near future. It is this engine that will most likely be sold here in the U.S. - including trucks.

I also expect to see a diesel variant, putting out less hp, but higher torque numbers.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Anyone know what the G8 V8 engine weighs? And the V6 engine? And the 2.0L I4 turbo engine? I'm curious if the 2.0L is significantly lighter than the others, which could offset the relative lack of power.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
This sounds great to me. I'd be glad to put up with a small amount of turbo lag to get much better fuel economy. I'd love to get a big sporty car like the G8 but gas prices make me resist the temptation currently. I hope we see the 2.0L DI turbo in some bigger cars soon if it puts them over 30 mpg.

When will we see the 1.4L DI turbo? It would work great in the mid-size and smaller cars.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Why would an Epsilon II be built by Holden? Opel is leading the development of Epsilon II. Holden is busy with work on the RWD cars. Either this was built by Opel or SAAB, or I question whether this is the LaCrosse replacement. It does look like a FWD Buick though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
As long as they have a 6 speed or higher transmission behind it, that engine will do fine.
No kidding there, they will need it for overall best performance and economy. And maybe if GM is lucky, they could get the 7 speed from BMW for these models.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Anyone know what the G8 V8 engine weighs? And the V6 engine? And the 2.0L I4 turbo engine? I'm curious if the 2.0L is significantly lighter than the others, which could offset the relative lack of power.
There won't be much savings. Maybe 100 pounds. Remember that the engine is aluminum block with aluminum heads and plastic instake. I believe the aluminum LSx engines are already about 100 pounds lighter than a Gen-I SBC.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Works for me...and it's something my GM V8 loving father has been saying for a LONG time--give me a turbo 4 or even 6 if necessary, and a stick. The stick thing, shamefully, is about as rare as it comes anymore, but the smaller engines turbo'd is going to become more and more common.

Another good example? When that first rumor of a base Camaro with a turbo 4-cyl was talked about, I mentioned it, and when I mentioned it at home: "Really? That's a great idea."

Wave of the future...I hope. The no replacement for displacement thing is just going to have to be phased away, at least from being as excess as it has been, or unless there's some miraculous way to get double and triple the economy with such designs.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I'm willing to bet if you drove the 4 cylinder turbo in a manner to get the same acceleration of the V-8 or VVT V-6's (as in using all of its 260 hp) it will get V-8 or V-6 fuel economy. Of course if you drive it easy and don't want it to accelerate like it's V-8 counterpart, you'll get good fuel economy. I'm only putting that out there because someone will buy one and post "my 4 cylinder turbo gets terrible gas mileage, this is crap" or "my buddy bought one and he's getting bad gas mileage, this is crap"

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
No kidding there, they will need it for overall best performance and economy. And maybe if GM is lucky, they could get the 7 speed from BMW for these models.
I think in a medium sized car a 7sp auto is a waste of money, u dont really need more than 6sp for medium sized cars, a 7sp maybe in large cars like STS and Statesman to help with economy from a V8, just as a curious question though, does anyone know the extra cost of say a 5sp to a 6sp then onto a 7sp auto would be in terms of manufacturing?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why would an Epsilon II be built by Holden? Opel is leading the development of Epsilon II. Holden is busy with work on the RWD cars. Either this was built by Opel or SAAB, or I question whether this is the LaCrosse replacement. It does look like a FWD Buick though.
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't make any sense for this to be Holden built.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think in a medium sized car a 7sp auto is a waste of money, u dont really need more than 6sp for medium sized cars, a 7sp maybe in large cars like STS and Statesman to help with economy from a V8, just as a curious question though, does anyone know the extra cost of say a 5sp to a 6sp then onto a 7sp auto would be in terms of manufacturing?
Small motors with relatively low torque numbers work better with more 6+spd transmissions that can keep them in their powerband. However, if they follow the 4std 2 od gearing model it may not help much.
Ed

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
260 HP... 30 MPG... works for me.
I would love to have a 4 Banger that produced 260hp. thats awesome.
So buy a 9-5 then. The car already exists!!
I don't see why this is even news!!!

The bigger concern is... if this is a future Buick with a Turbo 4.... what is to distinguish a future 9-5? Same platform... Same engine...????

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The bigger concern is... if this is a future Buick with a Turbo 4.... what is to distinguish a future 9-5? Same platform... Same engine...????
Style distinguishes cars as much as engines do.

I've never driven a turbo'd engine, so I have no idea how they feel. But I bet they feel better at the pump. I would be completely willing to give a turbo 4 a chance. As it is, I don't see a G8 in my future because of the mileage. With this development, it could all change.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts