·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Are they going to make it any faster?

Here is a video of a stock 03 Cobra smoking a stock 08 GT500 and its not a street race, its an actual comparison:

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php/2008/video-2008-shelby-gt500-vs-2003-svt-cobra/

How does a 390hp/370tq car beat a 500hp/480tq car that is five years newer? Pathetic!
While I would agree that the Shelby should be faster a tenth of a second is hardly getting smoked. I have ridden in several stock Cobra's and you cannot hear quite that much supercharger whine so there is a possibility that it has a slightly smaller than stock pulley. The weight difference between the two is fairly large also.

Driving was also a large part of that drag race because you could see the nose drop on every shift of the Shelby while the Cobra was clearly being powershifted since the nose didn't drop between shifts like the Shelby.

Heat soak is also a big issue with these cars. Did they both get plenty of time to cool all the way down? Who knows, too many variables to compare from a single video.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts

Here is a video of a stock 03 Cobra smoking a stock 08 GT500 and its not a street race, its an actual comparison:

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php/2008/video-2008-shelby-gt500-vs-2003-svt-cobra/

How does a 390hp/370tq car beat a 500hp/480tq car that is five years newer? Pathetic!
Weight.

The GT500 is a pig... it weighs almost as much as the Camaro.

The weight problem gets fixed very soon. The iron-block 5.4L boat anchor gets tossed in favor of an all-aluminum 5.0 twin-turbo V8, which will reduce weight and improve balance significantly.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts

All reasonable excuses aside, I think we can both admit that the GT500 should be a lot faster than a stock 03 Cobra.
390hp @ 6000RPM and 390lb-ft of torque @ 3500RPM, both of which are said to be fairly underrated. The Cobra is also about a couple hundred pounds lighter than the GT500, like Wescoent touched on. Interestingly though, the SVT Cobra and GT500 have roughly the same weight distribution (57% front, 43% rear). Still, I agree, the GT500 should have set a much higher bar, one that was in Ford's power to reach.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Weight.

The weight problem gets fixed very soon. The iron-block 5.4L boat anchor gets tossed in favor of an all-aluminum 5.0 twin-turbo V8, which will reduce weight and improve balance significantly.
The GT500 is 50lbs heavier than the Camaro which goes to show you how heavy the Camaro really is since it has an all aluminum NA engine as compared to the iron block, supercharged, intercooled GT500. The Cobra is about 300lbs lighter which is about 3/10's in the quarter mile.

Is the twin turbo all aluminum 5.0 confirmed or is it just a rumor at this point. That would be a wicked combo, especially since Ford is so open about their computer codes.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
The GT500 is 50lbs heavier than the Camaro which goes to show you how heavy the Camaro really is since it has an all aluminum NA engine as compared to the iron block, supercharged, intercooled GT500. The Cobra is about 300lbs lighter which is about 3/10's in the quarter mile.

Is the twin turbo all aluminum 5.0 confirmed or is it just a rumor at this point. That would be a wicked combo, especially since Ford is so open about their computer codes.
Has Ford announced it in a press release? No.

Have at least 3 sources inside Ford confirmed it? Yes.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ehh, one video hardly proves anything about the gt500 and the 03 cobra. Fact is, the GT500 IS faster. Not only has the GT500 gone low 12's stock but it traps several mph higher than an 03 cobra. You can check all this out at svtperformance if you need verification.

While they are pretty close in performance relatively speaking, the GT500 is better in just about every way. So it is a step up, just like ths redesign one will be a step up from the current one.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Has Ford announced it in a press release? No.

Have at least 3 sources inside Ford confirmed it? Yes.
When is that supposed to hit? My wife has been bugging the crap out of me to get her another Mustang ever since I got rid of her last one. Do you know if it will come with some type of automatic?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
^ Automatic Shelby 500, very unlikely unless you are a prince from the Arab Emirates and have the $$$ to spend on making it auto:D

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
^ Automatic Shelby 500, very unlikely unless you are a prince from the Arab Emirates and have the $$$ to spend on making it auto:D
Probably true since Ford is one of the only companies who only uses manuals in their top of the line Mustangs when everyone else offers both manual or automatic. Nice that they are available but for those of us that have wives who still like fun cars it usually makes a lesser model a necessity when you would prefer the more expensive model.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Probably true since Ford is one of the only companies who only uses manuals in their top of the line Mustangs when everyone else offers both manual or automatic. Nice that they are available but for those of us that have wives who still like fun cars it usually makes a lesser model a necessity when you would prefer the more expensive model.

well if you wait for 2013, I bet it would have a dual-clutch.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Weight.

Thats funny to me, the mustang is considered a pig and its almost as heavy as the camaro +- 50lbs

No all that easy to make cars light these days is it General?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts