·
Super Moderator
20,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spied! 2014 GMC Sierra 1500
PickupTrucks.com
By Mark Williams
May 9, 2012

We just receieved a message from photographer Chris Doane regarding the 2014 GMC Sierra. Here's what he wrote us:

"Two weeks ago, Chevy engineers were spied testing a large group of 2014 Silverado prototypes. That test group has now reappeared, but this time, test vehicles for the all-new GMC Sierra have come along for the ride!

"Fortunately, during one of the many pauses in testing, a Sierra prototype pulled right alongside a Silverado prototype, making the difference between the two trucks easy to see."

In the first photo in this set, the Silverado prototype in the background has one large crossbar running through the middle of the grille opening, while the Sierra prototype in the foreground has at least two thinner crossbars and a few thin vertical bars.

In addition to the difference in grille, visible on several of the prototypes, the Sierra test trucks are also wearing some familiar GMC wheels, with one truck sporting a set that looks almost identical to wheels on the recently debuted 2013 GMC Acadia.

Spy photos at the link.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
This is starting to make me a little nervous.... it's looking like the All Terrain HD's grille is going to make production. That could be fine, but I fear they're going to forget how to center the emblem again and that is a huge turn-off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Oh ye of little faith. We're starting to see more and more shots and the GMC addition is good to get a glimpse of now. Can't wait to see them without all the camo, hopefully in next few months.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Apparently I'm very popular over at that site. I knew pickuptrucks.com was full of whiners and haters that are in lala land but geez. Pretty ridiculous.

I call BS. They both look very alike. None blowing the other away. I think bvonscott was creating this in his own mind hoping the Sierra would blow away Chevy because he doesn't like Chevy and is a GMC fan. Posted by: Jason | May 9, 2012 11:41:27 AM
What was bvonscott smoking? I'm not blown away.
Posted by: Jason | May 9, 2012 11:43:40 AM
Ooooooohhhh - it has tiny mirrors, two bar grille and GMC Acadia wheels! Where is the phenomenal looking truck that was promised to blow you away, bvonscott????? You lied!
Posted by: Jason | May 9, 2012 11:47:50 AM

I call BS. They both look very alike. None blowing the other away. I think bvonscott was creating this in his own mind hoping the Sierra would blow away Chevy because he doesn't like Chevy and is a GMC fan.

@Jason, I agree. I'm happy about it too. I followed what that tool wrote for awhile to see what the heck he was talking about. It was obvious he was a GMC nutswinger from California but the guy was off his rocker in his GMC fantasyland. I've always been a Chevy guy so clearly this is good news for me.

the Chevy styling appears to be less aggressive looking.

@Alex, I hoping when the wraps come off that the Chevy is more agressive looking than it appears as well. I'd guess the aggression would be designed more into the headlight assemblies. As previously noted, the "evil eye" look. That alone would be perfectly fine by me. The GMC does look to be more slanted forward like the Dodge which is fine too. Both ways of creating aggression are often used in design. Especially on muscle cars. I'm a big fan of clean aggression so the classic Chevy grille with mean looking headlights is perfect in my book.
Posted by: HarroldBerkshire | May 9, 2012 11:55:55 AM

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Still can't see anything other than they have 2 different grilles. Guess we just need to be patient for a bit longer...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Apparently I'm very popular over at that site. I knew pickuptrucks.com was full of whiners and haters that are in lala land but geez. Pretty ridiculous.
The comments you quoted should make us all afraid for the state of education. Very afraid. There are several flagrant violations of logic in them. The grammar and vocabulary, to the extent any appears, is deplorable.
Keep on keeping on, Bvonscott!
Cheers,
Ed

·
Super Moderator
20,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it just me or were three of those comments written by the same person?

I think you just have one person who hates you.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
It appears, based on the article, that the 4.3 Vortec V6 is FINALLY going away, which is good to see.

That motor may have been competitive 20 years ago, but now it's an embarrassing boat anchor.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Most of the time I can't get over making comments about styling, not liking the way grille looks, or any detail talk. These aren't finished trucks, nor can you see anything other than general overall shape. The camo right now is doing exactly the opposite of what Spanx do for women....and they're both lying. Those commenting should wait until they see what’s underneath before crying foul.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Waste of time making 2 trucks if you ask me. There's a LOT more riding on the success of the Chevrolet than the GMC. Numbers don't lie...get the Chevy right, then worry about GMC. Then market them aggressively for once!

·
Super Moderator
20,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of the time I can't get over making comments about styling, not liking the way grille looks, or any detail talk. These aren't finished trucks, nor can you see anything other than general overall shape. The camo right now is doing exactly the opposite of what Spanx do for women....and they're both lying. Those commenting should wait until they see what’s underneath before crying foul.
Didn't you know? Everyone on car forums has special x-ray vision to see beneath the camo. ;) :lmao:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't really see any difference except maybe in the grille... i really hope they differentiate the two like what the verano is to the cruze, and not just a re-badge!

·
Banned
694 Posts
Is it just me or were three of those comments written by the same person?

I think you just have one person who hates you.
That's how I read it. Jason sounds either let down or baffled.

Waste of time making 2 trucks if you ask me. There's a LOT more riding on the success of the Chevrolet than the GMC. Numbers don't lie...get the Chevy right, then worry about GMC.
I agree. I only care about the Chevrolet myself so I hope it's a homerun. The pictures there are slightly more revealing than what we've seen before. I'm rather impressed with the overall shape of the truck from what I can make out. If this next Silverado is nicer than my King Ranch SD then I'll be trading in the Ford for a new Chevy. ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thank you sir. Finally some common sense.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Well I iknow you honestly can't see much but with the two sitting together, I'm concerned they arn't going to be different from one another enough. I thought they were supposed to be more different than they are now.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Gm is in a special position as they have two truck brands. This means you can make one main stream and the other you can push the envelope. Sure share the engines and such but damn GM stop making cookie cutter copies with different grills! You will never over take Ford like that and with what Ram is doing you may have one of your brands slip.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
We really can't tell anything with this. But I will say GM better bring their A-Game because the Ram ups the bar for 2013 and Ford will react with something for the F-150. It's not the time for complacency, nothing less than GM's best will cut it.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
I hope the difference between the two is more than a $600 GMC badge
I must admit that I think GM did a good job giving the 2 truck design differentiation without having to balloon their R&D budgets. I've had a personal preference for GMC since I started driving & I just hope that GM doesn't mess up the great looking Sierra that they build today. I do think that GM needs to do some serious plastic (actually, metal) surgery on the Silverado.

The comments you quoted should make us all afraid for the state of education. Very afraid. There are several flagrant violations of logic in them. The grammar and vocabulary, to the extent any appears, is deplorable.
Keep on keeping on, Bvonscott!
Cheers,
Ed
I share your fear of our current education system.

It appears, based on the article, that the 4.3 Vortec V6 is FINALLY going away, which is good to see.

That motor may have been competitive 20 years ago, but now it's an embarrassing boat anchor.
I'd still like to know why GM never followed the 4.3's strategy. The 4.3 shared the bore & stroke of the 5.7, but it was missing 2 cylinders. Since the LS1 was also a 5.7 liter V8, a companion 4.3 for trucks could have yielded more power & torque & continued to share some components with the V8 (spreading costs for parts across more engines). Even if GM based the V6 on the 5.3 V8, it would have still fit this template.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts