GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been considering what should replace my 2006 CTS as a daily driver, lately. Whatever that car ends up being, it must have a manual trans. That really narrows my choices considerably. The only thing Cadillac has to offer with a third pedal is the 2.0T ATS - a car which, by the way, is high up on my list.

Today I decided to go drive the ATS's BMW competition. I drove a 335i M Sport. The only ones the dealer had available were AWD iXs with 8 speed autos. If I were getting one, it'd be the RWD with the 6 speed manual, but this is Chicago, and AWD sedans and coupes are de rigueur for dealer lots. God forbid it should rain or snow without four wheel drive. Obviously, the 335ix M Sport is a great car. It does all the things that you would expect a BMW to do really well. It stops great, it handles great, it steers great. The turbo N55, inline six is a gem. All of that has been said before. Other than engine, I honestly have to say that the ATS has a slight edge in chassis dynamics and steering feel. But that lusty N55 engine makes the total package a BMW win, in my opinion. An engine like the N55 in the ATS would make that car nothing short of awesome.

While I was there, I figured I'd take an M235i for a spin. Once again, it was an AWD iX with an auto. But it was really interesting driving the two back to back. The M235i's N55 motor packs 20 more horses and it weighs about 100 pounds less than the 335i. And you can feel that difference in power to weight immediately. The exhaust has a much more aggressive note, the steering is lighter, quicker and more direct than the 3 series - which actually makes it feel more like an ATS. I really liked this car much more than the 3. Much more than I thought I would. The front row with M seats are very roomy, supportive and comfortable. The rear is for kids and midgets only though.

I thought the new Mustang might also be on my shopping list by this time, but honestly I find it to be too butt ugly for me to even test drive. I might change my mind if I ever drive one, but right now it just doesn't turn me on enough for me to make the effort. But if Ford drops one off in my driveway... ;)

The M235i does turn me on though. It feels like a BMW Camaro.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The M235i is pretty much at the top of the list as my next car. It's just so good.
I'm seriously considering ordering one. Any idea if the $2900 limited slip rear end is worth it?

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
The other day I had a 2015 2.0T AWD ATS as a loaner - I was surprised at how much of a difference the added torque really changed the character of the car (for the better) and sport mode was much more fun also - huge steering differences from my 2013. Have you tested the 2015's? If not I suggest you do!

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other day I had a 2015 2.0T AWD ATS as a loaner - I was surprised at how much of a difference the added torque really changed the character of the car (for the better) and sport mode was much more fun also - huge steering differences from my 2013. Have you tested the 2015's? If not I suggest you do!
I have not, and I will.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I love the ATS, but I have a crush on the M235i. I say do it and post many pictures ��.

I agree that the ATS needs to step it up in the engine department for the second gen. Not only in the performance area, but also on refinement. Hard to compete with an inline 6 in refinement, though.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I've been considering what should replace my 2006 CTS as a daily driver lately. Whatever that car ends up being, it must have a manual trans. That really narrows my choices considerably. The only thing Cadillac has to offer with a third pedal is the 2.0T ATS - a car which, by the way, is high up on my list.

Today I decided to go drive the ATS's BMW competition. I drove a 335i M Sport. The only ones the dealer had available were AWD iXs with 8 speed autos. If I were getting one, it'd be the RWD with the 6 speed manual, but this is Chicago, and AWD sedans and coupes are de rigueur for dealer lots. God forbid it should rain or snow without four wheel drive. Obviously, the 335ix M Sport is a great car. It does all the things that you would expect a BMW to do really well. It stops great, it handles great, it steers great. The turbo N55, inline six is a gem. All of that has been said before. Other than engine, I honestly have to say that the ATS has a slight edge in chassis dynamics and steering feel. But that lusty N55 engine makes the total package a BMW win, in my opinion. An engine like the N55 in the ATS would make that car nothing short of awesome.

While I was there, I figured I'd take an M235i for a spin. Once again, it was an AWD iX with an auto. But it was really interesting driving the two back to back. The M235i's N55 motor packs 20 more horses and it weighs about 100 pounds less than the 335i. And you can feel that difference in power to weight immediately. The exhaust has a much more aggressive note, the steering is lighter, quicker and more direct than the 3 series - which actually makes it feels more like an ATS. I really liked this car much more than the 3. Much more than I thought I would. The front row with M seats are very roomy, supportive and comfortable. The rear is for kids and midgets only though.

I thought the new Mustang might also be on my shopping list by this time, but honestly I find it to be too butt ugly for me to even test drive. I might change my mind if I ever drive one, but right now it just doesn't turn me on enough for me to make the effort. But if Ford drops one off in my driveway... ;)

The M235i does turn me on though. It feels like a BMW Camaro.
The 3.0 V6 Turbo with a 6-Speed with 335i M-Sport feature/price points could do wonders for the ATS. Kinda doubt the 3.0 V6 T will match the BMW's Inline 3.0 T in overall refinement or the 6-speed's shift quality but will at least be a legitimate competitor.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 3.0 V6 Turbo with a 6-Speed with 335i M-Sport feature/price points could do wonders for the ATS. Kinda doubt the 3.0 V6 T will match the BMW's Inline 3.0 T in overall refinement or the 6-speed's shift quality but will at least be a legitimate competitor.
Agreed. That would make a nice package, especially if you don't want to spend whatever GM will be charging for the ATS-V.

As far as the M235i, it's quite a bit smaller than the ATS coupe or what we surmise the 2016 Camaro size will be.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Quite a few automotive journalist have stated the 4 cylinder turbo 2 series is the better choice than the turbo six.

Same for the 4 series....

If it were me? I'd wait for the camaro in its sixth generation guise before making a decision. That vehicle is a month or two from being shown at either the Detroit or LA show.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quite a few automotive journalist have stated the 4 cylinder turbo 2 series is the better choice than the turbo six.

Same for the 4 series....

If it were me? I'd wait for the camaro in its sixth generation guise before making a decision. That vehicle is a month or two from being shown at either the Detroit or LA show.
That's really the only thing keeping me from placing my order immediately.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I really wish GM would offer the LFX V-6 engine in the ATS with a manual transmission.

The 3.0T engine really produces a hefty mid range punch, my only fears with BMWs 3.0T engine are concerns with its long term durability. My friend had to have his water pump replaced at 70,000 miles (with a few other small things) which cost him about $1,500 to fix. However no other luxury maker is offering the line of sporty coupes that BMW is offering which makes it hard to go elsewhere.

I feel like the 2 series is the spiritual successor to the E46 3 series.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I really wish GM would offer the LFX V-6 engine in the ATS with a manual transmission.

The 3.0T engine really produces a hefty mid range punch, my only fears with BMWs 3.0T engine are concerns with its long term durability. My friend had to have his water pump replaced at 70,000 miles (with a few other small things) which cost him about $1,500 to fix. However no other luxury maker is offering the line of sporty coupes that BMW is offering which makes it hard to go elsewhere.

I feel like the 2 series is the spiritual successor to the E46 3 series.
Never could figure out why GM didn't offer the 6-Speed with the 3.6L since it is supposed to be a premium engine choice.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never could figure out why GM didn't offer the 6-Speed with the 3.6L since it is supposed to be a premium engine choice.
Low take rate be damned - the ATS should have every engine available with a stick.

Reactions: mikmak

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Just whatever you do, don't give in and buy an automatic

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Agreed. That would make a nice package, especially if you don't want to spend whatever GM will be charging for the ATS-V.

As far as the M235i, it's quite a bit smaller than the ATS coupe or what we surmise the 2016 Camaro size will be.
Since BMW markets the M-Sport as a step below the M3 it makes sense for Cadillac to do the same with the 3.0T in a ATS V-Sport.

Question is will they and when; but real question is will they do it without screwing it up with missing features or over-price it.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since BMW markets the M-Sport as a step below the M3 it makes sense for Cadillac to do the same with the 3.0T in a ATS V-Sport.

Question is will they and when; but real question is will they do it without screwing it up with missing features or over-price it.
I know this has been discussed before, but I think Cadillac needs to tread carefully on it's pricing strategy. IOW, don't try to price your cars with your competition, until you actually offer what your competition does.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I know this has been discussed before, but I think Cadillac needs to tread carefully on it's pricing strategy. IOW, don't try to price your cars with your competition, until you actually offer what your competition does.
Agree 100%

Other thing is, please make the car shift great and that is the entire process. Clutch feel and engagement, pedal location(s), shift feel, shift accuracy and shifter feel. Sounds like a lot of details to be picky about but there other automakers who manage it easily and have for many years.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts