Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Buy it anyway

Votes: 16 64.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Space saver tyres are regularly reported as a bad thing. I don't get it. Here's why:

1. I can count the number of times I have had to change tyres on a car because of a flat on 1 hand in a combined 47 years (my wife would never change a tyre anyway) of driving.
2. I have always taken a damaged tyre directly to a tyre store to be repaired.
3. I have always had non-standard wheels on my car, so my spare is a different rolling diameter anyway.

I personally would prefer the extra storage space and weight saving.

What say you ?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Depends on the car. If i'm driving a compact with a small trunk and tiny wheels already, I'd go with the space saver, but with a car with a large trunk, or an SUV, it's full-size for me

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I don't like losing capability and even though I have only had to change 2 tyres ever, I would hate to have the wagon throw a shoe out west somewhere with a full load of travelling type luggage and 2 bitching kids. Especially with QLDs propencity [sp?] to have sudden torrential downpours. I can understand how people don't care and I think a 250 option for a full size spare and tyre is reasonable.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I yanked the full size spare out of the Roadmaster and installed a space saver I had from an old Fleetwood Brougham takeoff...

Saves on the weight, and gives me some added trunk space, as if I need it...

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GMCSonoma said:
I yanked the full size spare out of the Roadmaster and installed a space saver I had from an old Fleetwood Brougham takeoff...

Saves on the weight, and gives me some added trunk space, as if I need it...
You may need somwhere to park a Fiat, or house a small nation one day ....

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I don't really see the point of a full-size spare. If you blow a tire you should get it repaired or replaced asap, so a donut should do until you can get the tire fixed. One of my cars has a full size spare but its on a steel rim, while the regular wheels are alloys so even if I put that on there it's still an eyesore that I would wanna get fixed right away, and I wouldn't wanna drive around w/o a functioning spare.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
isszy said:
You may need somwhere to park a Fiat, or house a small nation one day ....
:bounce:

True, however my fullsize spare is a matching alloy wheel...but it's scratched from the mounting bolt, likely from it being removed & replaced in the trunk for whatever reason...as it was never used, nor the jack...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've never used the one in my Trans Am. I call AAA when I blow one out and have it towed to a tire shop or friends house. The thing is so tiny compared to the 275/40/17s on it that I would be afraid to use it, especially on a drive wheel. I heard using one on a drive wheel on my car can ruin the limited slip in the rear end, is that true?

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
vsd said:
I don't really see the point of a full-size spare. If you blow a tire you should get it repaired or replaced asap, so a donut should do until you can get the tire fixed. One of my cars has a full size spare but its on a steel rim, while the regular wheels are alloys so even if I put that on there it's still an eyesore that I would wanna get fixed right away, and I wouldn't wanna drive around w/o a functioning spare.
What I like about having a Full Sized Spare (that matches my 4 other tires) is you can add the spare in the car's tire rotations...Maximize your tread wear overall...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
chickenkicker said:
I've never used the one in my Trans Am. I call AAA when I blow one out and have it towed to a tire shop or friends house. The thing is so tiny compared to the 275/40/17s on it that I would be afraid to use it, especially on a drive wheel. I heard using one on a drive wheel on my car can ruin the limited slip in the rear end, is that true?
Hell no, think what would happen if you turned!

I saw a Mercedes S 500 (2007 model) with a donut on it! I was like :eek: :eek:

The space savers usually aren't that much smaller than the original wheel. Usually they are just narrow, and that just requires you to take it easy at the wheel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The Point of a Space Saver spare tire is so the person driving the car can see the ugly tire everytime they go to drive it. It is a reminder to chage the tire ASAP. The is actually the real reason GM uses those tires, no lie. If you use a full size spare you'll forget about it (proven true) and the when you blow another tire you are literally stuck on a flat. I like the donut spare tires because of this fact. A full size spare is manditory on full size vehicles like Tahoes and Silverados and such because of load capabilities. But you'll also notice the rim is butt fugly on all stock GM's. Well at least the spare rim will not match the rest of the stock rims. It is set like that intentionally as a reminder "FIX ME!!!" Just a little insight on what the manufacturers are thinking (at least GM). I used to sell GM cars that is how I know. And for those of you who do sell GM cars and didn't know, well, now you do. I makes a good selling point actually.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
chickenkicker said:
This is true. The smaller spare is slightly off in diameter than a full size tire. If used in a posi track rear end or a limited slip differential you could lose traction. I don't think you'll break anything considering your rear end is stronger than your stock traction can provide.

On a side note, even though your drive tires are in the front it is recommened to put the spare on the front of the car. For those with RWD this is good because you won't have to worry about the loss of traction. But, with FWD you do have to worry about it. The reason for this is if your spare blows on the front of the car you experience understeer. Understeer is easier for the average driver to handle. If the tire blows on the rear of the car you will experience oversteer. Most of us here like oversteer but, for the average driver oversteer = really bad accident.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I am all for having a full sized Spare. My BMW had one on a matching rim, and I absolutely loved it. I got the tire fixed whenever it got something in it, but it was nice when I didn't quite have the time for a couple of days to get it repaired. I didn't have to drive around worrying about going too fast on a wheel that wasn't the same size as the rest.

I would prefer to always have the option of having a full sized spare. I absolutely hate the fact that my MINI has no spare whatsoever. It is on runflats that are a joke. one getting punctured = the purchase of two new tires (250.00 each btw) if the other has substantial enough wear on it.

-Chase

·
Registered
353 Posts
chickenkicker said:
It can cause damage, or at least premature wear on the limited slip unit. Limited slips are only designed to allow small amounts of slip for short periods of time. Running one in a constant slip situation (like with a compact spare) will most definitely cause premature wear to the clutches, if not total failure from overheating.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I always carry a full-sized spare, with exception for the Camaro and Firebird.

In college I always had 2 full-sized spares in my Buick.
1) all the tires were cheap and likely bad.
2) sometimes multiple tire failures are unavoidable.

Now days, everything I normally drive is either 4x4 or AWD/4x4 so they all have full-sized spares.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts