GM Inside News Forum banner

Sourcing for parts??

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bluearc74 
#1 ·
Hey all. I am thinking of replacing most of the parts in the timing chain set on my 2003 ecotec 2.2L L61. I did purchase the new style timing tensioner form GM which was 76 with taxes. Now I have been picking a few other things to replace just in case as everything looks fine in there. Everything is sold separate through GM and seems to be costing more than sourcing out a set. I have spent over 400 and only got a few guides, both timing and balance tensioners, oil nozzle, Crank bolt, and Timing chain. I see these sets all over the internet but want to put something of decent quality in there as not to have to go in there again or even worse something break and end up with a lot more damage. Anyone have any suggestions on where a guy can check out for timing sets?

Cheers

#3 · (Edited)
GMpartsdirect.com for OEM parts. If one can find said part with an ACDelco label (along with the eight digit OEM #), you'll be getting the same part from the dealership but from a distributor which is much less money. Rock Auto was mentioned, but I've found Amazon to be even cheaper.

Here's my first stop when I need to do any work: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

edit: here's a good example -- 12608580 timing chain tensioner...
ACDelco (which is the OEM part) Amazon: $33.25 shipped or Rock Auto: $39.33 shipped
Dealership retail: $53.44
GMPartsDirect: $43.26 shipped

#4 ·
I ended up orderin the deluxe timing kit from Crate Engine Depot. They were by far the cheapest for actual GM parts. The parts I get for 305.00 shipped to my door was

Ecotec LSJ & L61 Timing Chain Deluxe kit
Includes the following:
2 - Cam Shaft Sprockets
1 - Crank Sprocket
1 - Timing Chain
1 - Tensioner
3 - Guides
1 - Oil Nozzle
1 - Cover Gasket
4 - Timing Chain Guide Bolts*
1 - Crank Bolt*

I thought this was pretty decent. If anyone else needs here is the link

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LSJ-L61-Timing-Chain-Deluxe-Set-CEDLSJDTC--P24041C665.aspx

I will be getting a new style tensioner that I already bought but will probably just sell it or something.

Cheers and Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.