Super Moderator
10,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony and Honda joint venture plans to sell cars by 2025
What kind of cars, though?
RONAN GLON
Jun 16th 2022
autoblog.com

Confirming an earlier report, Sony and Honda have announced the creation of a 50-50 joint-venture aimed at building electric cars. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, the company is called "Sony Honda Mobility" and it plans to begin selling cars in just a few short years.

Sony and Honda plan to finalize the deal in 2022; the new company still needs to be approved by regulators. Once it's set up, the two partners will bring their strongest assets to the table. Sony boasts a great deal of experience in network, entertainment, sensing, imaging, and telecommunication technologies — it's the company that brought you innovations like the Walkman and the PlayStation, after all. Honda will contribute decades of car-building expertise. Sony Honda Mobility will begin selling EVs and providing mobility services in 2025.

An important detail is that, as of writing, neither party has outlined what the collaboration will spawn. One possibility is Sony will ask for Honda's help in bringing the Vision-S 01 and/or the Vision-S 02 (pictured) concepts to production. However, the company has previously been hesitant about becoming a carmaker. In 2021, Sony said that "no plans to mass-produce or sell the vehicle." Has it changed its mind?

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
I think Sony, just like Apple, are nuts if they truly want to enter the car market. But, probably good for both Honda and Sony to team up with Sony supplying aspects where it makes sense.

The article's touting Sony's expertise with the walkman made me wonder if this new vehicle will have a cassette tape. I can see the headlines - "Honda teams with Sony to bring back the cassette!" Generation X cheers as they can again use their ancient cassettes :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22,411 Posts
I think Sony, just like Apple, are nuts if they truly want to enter the car market. But, probably good for both Honda and Sony to team up with Sony supplying aspects where it makes sense.

The article's touting Sony's expertise with the walkman made me wonder if this new vehicle will have a cassette tape. I can see the headlines - "Honda teams with Sony to bring back the cassette!" Generation X cheers as they can again use their ancient cassettes :ROFLMAO:
Cassettes aren't coming back.

I thought GM and Honda were in a partnership right now? Is that over?
Honda is just preparing a use for the "break-up fees" check they get from GM?

I would not buy a Sony car. Just doesn’t sound right
Would you buy a Honda?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think a major motivating reason behind the Sony collaboration is to minimize any blowback Honda would receive from the very protective Japanese regulators over the increasingly close relationship with GM.
Let’s not forget that Honda and GM are also partnering up on ICE models as well.
I’m sure that many alarms were going off in Japan hearing a foreign company sharing parts and platforms with a venerable manufacturer like Honda.

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
I think a major motivating reason behind the Sony collaboration is to minimize any blowback Honda would receive from the very protective Japanese regulators over the increasingly close relationship with GM.
Let’s not forget that Honda and GM are also partnering up on ICE models as well.
I’m sure that many alarms were going off in Japan hearing a foreign company sharing parts and platforms with a venerable manufacturer like Honda.
Excellent point - MB better not take any trips to Japan where they can detain her on some BS.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,897 Posts
Sony can't even make a TV that doesn't quit when the warranty's up.
My buddy had the misfortune of purchasing that crap.
And I had a Sony soundbar. It up n quit.

Would you buy a Honda?
I'd buy one with Ultium and no Sony.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,039 Posts
Cassettes aren't coming back.

Honda is just preparing a use for the "break-up fees" check they get from GM?

Would you buy a Honda?
Bummer, no cassettes ;) but I miss the CD though. .... And yes I would buy a Honda, but/and the one I'm looking over is the new HR-V. :)

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
don't know any details but MAYBE Honda X GM is primarily for the North American market and the Sony X Honda for ASIA / Japan
OR maybe the Sony X Honda is MORE about tech and LESS about a finished car and the SONY car was more of a "hay look at our tech" and less about a SONY-MOBILE
SONY NON consumer products are VERY GOOD and they do have a LOT of tech / know how and to keep up with Tesla / GOOGLE EVERYBODY needs all the "help" they can get GM included

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,039 Posts
don't know any details but MAYBE Honda X GM is primarily for the North American market and the Sony X Honda for ASIA / Japan
OR maybe the Sony X Honda is MORE about tech and LESS about a finished car and the SONY car was more of a "hay look at our tech" and less about a SONY-MOBILE
SONY NON consumer products are VERY GOOD and they do have a LOT of tech / know how and to keep up with Tesla / GOOGLE EVERYBODY needs all the "help" they can get GM included
That makes a lot of sense and to me a connection like that for each market may be a better solution as being close to what people would maybe want or accept.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Sony is certainly not the Sony of the 1990’s . Their place as technology leaders has long been overtaken by the likes of Samsung, etc.
I would place Bose ahead of Sony with consumer electronics at this point in time.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Now I don't know which will come back! I'll need someone with a massively huge intellect to clarify it for me. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe both will stage a comeback! I'm buying TDK stock right NOW.
Lol, 8-tracks aren't coming back in my lifetime. Vinyl I get, tapes and 8-track make no sense anymore.

I would place Bose ahead of Sony with consumer electronics at this point in time.
Not on this planet,. Bose has no where near the breadth, revenue, or level of tech Sony has. Bose just is better at marketing on the low end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts