GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a house I designed for class. I worked with an architect to design it.

And here's some expensive cars for the expensive house:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Like the car wouldn't buy the house, I'm a traditionalist wrap around porch etc etc

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Any reason why the roofs slope towards the middle of the house?
It's called a "Butterfly" roof and enjoyed a brief run of popularity in the 1950s. It was just for stylistic purposes. "Butterfly" houses can be found here there throughout the Sunbelt.

I had relatives in suburban Metairie, Louisiana who had a butterfly-roof house in their neighborhood. It was like a very large version of Ahmad's sketches and I was always amazed by the house when we'd drive past it. Several years ago, the house was sold and the new owners replaced the wonderfully retro 1950s roof with an ordinary gable roof, and made other attempts to turn the house into a generic suburban ranch design. It wasn't a success... the house now has a weird Frankenstein look to it. They were better off leaving it 50s style.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any reason why the roofs slope towards the middle of the house? Interesting idea though.
And your Chevy looks pretty slick.

I'm a huge Frank Lloyd Wright fan, and I wanted to design a futuristic house. One half of the house is all glass (glass walls, etc) and the other half is all stone (stone walls, etc). These two different directions of the house are represented by the roof going in two different directions.

But yeah, I'm a huge fan of futurism.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I'm a huge Frank Lloyd Wright fan, and I wanted to design a futuristic house. One half of the house is all glass (glass walls, etc) and the other half is all stone (stone walls, etc). These two different directions of the house are represented by the roof going in two different directions.

But yeah, I'm a huge fan of futurism.
Ah. Well, it's an interesting idea. Let's just hope the bathrooms/bedrooms are in the stone side of the house. :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah. Well, it's an interesting idea. Let's just hope the bathrooms/bedrooms are in the stone side of the house. :D
Actually, they're in the glass section. If you look in the design, the bathroom/bedrooms are in this "Island" in the middle of the glass design.

So imagine, you wake up, walk out of your bedroom, and see trees and nature. Also, the "Island" rooms have windows with curtains, giving the feeling that you're in your own little house within the main house.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Actually, they're in the glass section. If you look in the design, the bathroom/bedrooms are in this "Island" in the middle of the glass design.

So imagine, you wake up, walk out of your bedroom, and see trees and nature. Also, the "Island" rooms have windows with curtains, giving the feeling that you're in your own little house within the main house.

Ah I see. So basically the only thing in the stone section is the garage?

I like the "house within a house" idea.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah I see. So basically the only thing in the stone section is the garage?

I like the "house within a house" idea.
Yes, the garage and kitchen are in the stone section.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
A similar design, albeit with a modern twist, is starting to popup in a few homes around here.

BTW, the outside wall, there is one, right? I'm assuming you left it out on the main pic so we could see inside? Good quality, although I've got my own "dream homes" in my mind lol I should start drawing them again, I stopped many yrs ago. :(

Great Chevy, too. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very cool, verey mid-century modern looking house there. I love it!

If you are interested at all in mid-century modern ranches, there is a quarterly magazine called "Atomic Ranch" that you just might enjoy.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I love mid-century modern. The ideas that you present for your house are very cool.

*Issue Resolved*

-Chase

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts