GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is so stupid .... article makes it sound like fuel figures and pollution go to the bottom.... relative amable change til chips are in.... overblown typical idiots making headlines....
You lost 1 mpg... wow still better mpg than most .... retards

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hell, I reckon it makes me want one even more. Sounds like more corbon monoxide for the trees to suck up. Thought the hippies loved trees? #BrownTreesMatter

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Funny, when I posted the article I didn't notice how they were portraying GM's decision, essentially vilifying GM. Normally I'd be cognizant of that and be angered by biased reporting. I posted this merely as something I thought everyone will be interested in regarding how GM is dealing with the chip shortage, blind to the blatant bias.

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Insight to my comments in item # 1
(notice the spike in 2020 in computers from ~160 to 200)
- And that is already on top of a surge that started about 2 years prior.

View attachment 63381
I wonder if it would be worth it for GM (or any make suffering from the chip shortage) to buy cheap laptops to take the chips and repurpose them for higher profit vehicles (I assume the cost of the laptop will eat up any profits on low-profit vehicles). Not sure if this is possible as I recall that car makers don't use laptop chips.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
I wonder if it would be worth it for GM (or any make suffering from the chip shortage) to buy cheap laptops to take the chips and repurpose them for higher profit vehicles (I assume the cost of the laptop will eat up any profits on low-profit vehicles). Not sure if this is possible as I recall that car makers don't use laptop chips.
does NOT work like that and that would be equivalent of buying a washing machine for the motor to repurpose as a startermotor
the chips needed by GM are likely custom asics OR other custom processors and not "basic" FPGA's OR memory controllers requiring GM to REENGINEER around the different chip properties if they could identify a chip that would even do what they need

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
does NOT work like that and that would be equivalent of buying a washing machine for the motor to repurpose as a startermotor
That will totally work, simple............. just get a bigger hammer!

the chips needed by GM are likely custom asics OR other custom processors and not "basic" FPGA's OR memory controllers requiring GM to REENGINEER around the different chip properties if they could identify a chip that would even do what they need
You know more than I do, but I knew that was crazy-talk.

---------------------------------------------------

Ford doing something similar, but they are just parking and going to finish when parts are available.

Ford to build some F-150s without certain modules due to chip shortage

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. has begun building some F-150 pickups and Edge crossovers without certain electronic modules due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage and parts disruptions following last month's severe winter weather.

The automaker said it would build and hold affected vehicles for a number of weeks, then ship them to dealers once modules are available and it can finish comprehensive quality checks.

(continued)

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
Appears the chip shortage problem is still growing................

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If China ever moves on Taiwan, then you'll really see chip lead times grow...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Yes, this chip shortage has been going on for several years. The pandemic just made it worse. A few years ago our company ordered our suppliers to lock in long term agreements with all of their component distributors for several years to avoid production gaps like these. I guess the auto industry didn't pay as good attention to the market?

I saw that a semiconductor plant in Korea(?) caught fire last week? That will place additional strain on the situation.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
222 Posts
What happens when you start doing business with a Communist country?

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Yes, this chip shortage has been going on for several years. The pandemic just made it worse. A few years ago our company ordered our suppliers to lock in long term agreements with all of their component distributors for several years to avoid production gaps like these. I guess the auto industry didn't pay as good attention to the market?

I saw that a semiconductor plant in Korea(?) caught fire last week? That will place additional strain on the situation.
WALL St first
I saw an article RE Intel return to investors VS "CAPEX" more money was "returned" to investors then spent on CAPEX factoring in Intel's NEW announcement over the last 2 years
where as TSMC the numbers are NOT EVEN CLOSE with CAPEX multiples higher then investors "return"
around the auto industry it is clear when you look at Toyota and Hybrid VS GM and "Voltec"
Toyota put years of R/D and BIG MONEY into making a "clown car" into the poster child for green car tech and arguably the BEST hybrid drive vehicle sold
where as GM spent stupid amounts of R/D and CASH on VOLTEC and released 2 1/2 models and NEVER marketed it OR refined itr to drop it 10 years later and betend the BEST PHEV "platform" does NOT exist

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
WALL St first
I saw an article RE Intel return to investors VS "CAPEX" more money was "returned" to investors then spent on CAPEX factoring in Intel's NEW announcement over the last 2 years
where as TSMC the numbers are NOT EVEN CLOSE with CAPEX multiples higher then investors "return"
You can't compare Intel and TSMC though. Intel is not a (real) foundry player - they only make chips for themselves. They have tried in the past and failed, they are using this latest global shortage to try again.

But I can't say I disagree with the larger point about different corporate goals of R&D vs "shareholder value". I worked for IBM for roughly a decade and saw the results of what happens when you push aside R&D in favor of stock buybacks...

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
You can't compare Intel and TSMC though. Intel is not a (real) foundry player - they only make chips for themselves. They have tried in the past and failed, they are using this latest global shortage to try again.

But I can't say I disagree with the larger point about different corporate goals of R&D vs "shareholder value". I worked for IBM for roughly a decade and saw the results of what happens when you push aside R&D in favor of stock buybacks...
look to GM and Toyota
Toyota spent DECADES "perfecting" the Prius
GM spent 10 years on Voltec and sh cans the project because it is NOT making money
Toyota has a LONG history of looking and building into the FUTURE where GM has a LONG history of spending R/D capital to junk the results and try something different when the money is NOT made in a year or two

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
look to GM and Toyota
GM spent 10 years on Voltec and sh cans the project because it is NOT making money
Toyota has a LONG history of looking and building into the FUTURE where GM has a LONG history of spending R/D capital to junk the results and try something different when the money is NOT made in a year or two
We can't say GM wasted R&D on the Volt as I'm sure they took what they learned (as well as the IP developed for sale) and applied it to future PHEVs and full EVs. Even R&D on the old EV1 likely bore some fruit years later in doing the 1G Volt. The Volt was a stepping stone for both GM and some of it's more "traditional" customer set to become comfortable with an EV yet not have range anxiety. 10 years later now range anxiety has lessened with improved battery tech and wider growth of quick charging stations. So the Volt and it's compromises in carrying an ICE on board became unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
35,545 Posts
But...but...GM is a Technology Company!!!!

An accident no doubt.

look to GM and Toyota
I guess that's the difference between a technology company and a well-managed company. One talks the talk, one walks the walk.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts