·
Registered
17,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some new GM trucks will pollute more thanks to microchip shortage
March 15, 2021
Sean O'Kane

a truck is parked in a parking lot

General Motors has decided to make some 2021 full-size pickups without a certain fuel management module because of the ongoing microchip shortage. As a result, those trucks will get around one fewer mile per gallon of gas, meaning they’ll burn more fuel to go the same distance, releasing more carbon emissions into the atmosphere.

The trucks affected are models that use GM’s 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V8 engine (including versions with six-speed or eight-speed automatic transmissions), according to
Reuters , which first reported the decision That includes the popular Chevy Silverado and GMC’s Sierra.

More at link

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow... I wonder if they'll put the module in once the shortage is over? I assume it is as transparent as in my CT4-V, other than a light on my dash I have no idea the engine is going into a conservation mode. Meaning I want the module - it is invisible to me and saves me a little gas money.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Odd that they went with the headline angle that the trucks will "pollute" more without the module, rather than just stating the expected fuel economy will drop by one mile per gallon.

Anywho, there are many folks out there who wished GM would simply stop adding the Active Fuel Management system to their trucks anyway, as it tends to diminish the engine's longevity.

Time for those in that group to put their orders in before the chip manufacturing catches up! ;)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,008 Posts
Odd that they went with the headline angle that the trucks will "pollute" more without the module, rather than just stating the expected fuel economy will drop by one mile per gallon.

Anywho, there are many folks out there who wished GM would simply stop adding the Active Fuel Management system to their trucks anyway, as it tends to diminish the engine's longevity.

Time for those in that group to put their orders in before the chip manufacturing catches up! ;)
The reason they went with a title like that was they most likely figured it would get more buzz and clicks. And so it goes.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Soooo... the only thing that is different is that AFM is disabled from the factory? Gen5 Camaro's with sticks came this way as well.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Clickbait title....the author makes it sound like the trucks will roll off the lot rolling coal stock. Mother Earth will forgive GM for this 1mpg discretion.

Perhaps they should've used a pic of that hawt pole vaulter chick and used the tagline "GM makes a change due to chip shortage, you'll never guess what happened next"

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
If these motors aren't being equipped with AFM/DFM lifters and you can still get the 10-speed transmission, I would seriously consider trading in my 2020 Elevation on one, as it would be a pretty bullet-proof drivetrain.

Also, will these motors will receive a new RPO code?

Reactions: jzchev28 and Ed753

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is MPG anything to really complain about? I am sure it will be a recall later in the year when everything is back up running normal.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
"As a result, those trucks will get around one fewer mile per gallon of gas, meaning they’ll burn more fuel to go the same distance, releasing more carbon emissions into the atmosphere."

Dude that wrote this is "WOKE".

If these motors aren't being equipped with AFM/DFM lifters and you can still get the 10-speed transmission, I would seriously consider trading in my 2020 Elevation on one, as it would be a pretty bullet-proof drivetrain.

Also, will these motors will receive a new RPO code?
This is a very good question to a bizarre situation, if they can retro/reactivate by simple plugging in the module later, then maybe, maybe not, but if they are built to remain non-AFM, it would need a new RPO, and probably other emission related items/documents changed, unique to these trucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Wait, GM is still making trucks with Internal Combustion Engines, no-wonder Sean is so unsettled.

Reactions: vanshmack

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yeah the headline is annoyingly click bait-ish. They make it sound as if GM's just going to hack the cats off.

From what I've ascertained it's not an engine design change so it will still be equipped with the AFM/DoD/DFM/whatever acronym lifters so the risk for mechanical failure is still there. Just not going to have the module installed necessary to control the fuel-saving acronym system.

Sidenote, I'd be curious to have a better understanding of which specific semi chips are the limiting factor for their production. Is it the PCM itself, TCM, or some other critical module? I'm also interested how skipping the fuel-saving acronym module improves inventories for the other necessary chips, since I wouldn't expect them to be similar enough in design to matter. I somewhat understand the semi industry but I'm not very familiar with the design aspect to know for certain. I do know a modern smart phone has around a dozen separate chips within sourced from various different fabs and companies - for instance a shortage of RF chips would render the phone useless for getting a cell or wifi signal but with the CPU chip it would still function. But say, not installing the chip for RAM would not help improve availability of the RF chip as they are made with different technologies and come from two different fabs.

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am starting to think that the chip shortage is now not by the pandemic, but by design. I mean seriously asian countries have been going full tilt for over a half a year now, they were not like us here shutting the country down for a year, why this shortage now drags on for this long is beyond questionable imo. No better way to inflate your product price and demand but by creating a shortage of it.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,257 Posts
I am starting to think that the chip shortage is now not by the pandemic, but by design. I mean seriously asian countries have been going full tilt for over a half a year now, they were not like us here shutting the country down for a year, why this shortage now drags on for this long is beyond questionable imo. No better way to inflate your product price and demand but by creating a shortage of it.
A good read

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm also not aware of any domestic chip fabs that shut down due to COVID. In NY it was classified as essential manufacturing.

I don't think it's by design. I think it's poor planning/forecasting by the automakers. They probably cut orders to a lot of suppliers when COVID hit thinking the combination of job loss and reduction in commutes/travel would severely reduce auto sales. And they were wrong.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Such a non issue, 1mpg. Big whoop. You ever watch how most people drive. 15 miles over the limit. They are probably getting 3 miles less than they would if they followed the speed limit. People don’t really care, gas is cheap.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
I am starting to think that the chip shortage is now not by the pandemic, but by design. I mean seriously Asian countries have been going full tilt for over a half a year now, they were not like us here shutting the country down for a year, why this shortage now drags on for this long is beyond questionable imo. No better way to inflate your product price and demand but by creating a shortage of it.
A number of factors.............

1) The pandemic has created an increase in demand for "Home Electronics" because of WFH and related.
2) Transition to 5G, is driving equipment upgrades across the mobile universe.

Add to that, strong vehicle demand, all with more and more sensors, modules and electronic equipment, into an industry that has very little excess chip capacity and here we are!

I'm also not aware of any domestic chip fabs that shut down due to COVID. In NY it was classified as essential manufacturing.

I don't think it's by design. I think it's poor planning/forecasting by the automakers. They probably cut orders to a lot of suppliers when COVID hit thinking the combination of job loss and reduction in commutes/travel would severely reduce auto sales. And they were wrong.
There is not a lot of excess capacity in the chip industry, but with all facilities running WFO, you will uncover any and all "weak links" in the supply-chain.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
I did hear something today kind of surprised me about these "module-less trucks" apparently it is scheduled to run through the end of the 2021 model year and not restart normal production of vehicles until after shut-down and 2022 model year trucks production starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow... I wonder if they'll put the module in once the shortage is over? I assume it is as transparent as in my CT4-V, other than a light on my dash I have no idea the engine is going into a conservation mode. Meaning I want the module - it is invisible to me and saves me a little gas money.
Trucks coming without the module, will be coming with a $50 credit on the window sticker. Since buyers aren't paying for the module, I doubt GM will be retrofitting them later.

I've read all the horror stories about the GM cylinder deactivation V8's, but I haven't experienced any of them in any of the GM trucks I've owned. I too like it. How can't complain about the 5.3 in my GMC SLT crew cab 4x4, when I often see 22-24 mpg while cruising along a 75 mph?

I have a 2021 Sierra Denali 5.3 on order, that I'm told will have the DFM in place. My GMC dealer told me that the higher end trucks, with 4x4, the 10 speed trans, and the 5.3, will continue to get DFM, along with some lower trims with Max Towing. It's only the lower trims with 8 speed, 5.3's, and upper trims with 4x2 and the 5.3, that are subject to this change.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I read this article yesterday and if I remember correctly, according to the article, they cannot be retrofitted.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
A number of factors.............

1) The pandemic has created an increase in demand for "Home Electronics" because of WFH and related.
2) Transition to 5G, is driving equipment upgrades across the mobile universe.

Add to that, strong vehicle demand, all with more and more sensors, modules and electronic equipment, into an industry that has very little excess chip capacity and here we are!

There is not a lot of excess capacity in the chip industry, but with all facilities running WFO, you will uncover any and all "weak links" in the supply-chain.
Insight to my comments in item # 1
(notice the spike in 2020 in computers from ~160 to 200)
- And that is already on top of a surge that started about 2 years prior.

Reactions: gkr778 and BlackGTP
1 - 20 of 39 Posts