GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my.02 about GM's future. I think that in order for GM to compete with Toyota they really need to completely reconfigure their lineups. I know this has been thrown around before but no one ever says what really needs to be done. I think most of you get close but like GM are so used to playing it safe and being PC that you never get to the heart of the matter.

Ok, that being said here are my thoughts.

Why are there different brands offering the same rebadged cars and trucks? Why does GMC exist? Doesn't Chevy already build trucks? GMC should be discontinued, as should all Chevy cars. Now before you cry out what about the camaro-read on. Now on to Cadillac, face it they want to be the top of the line brand and why not? Let Cadillac focus on competing with BMW, even if that means that those cars are too expensive for the middle class. That could be where Buick fits in, a nice bridge spanning Cadillac to Pontiac. Remember in the forties and fifties Buick was a sign of upward mobility so it would be only history repeating itself. Now as far as Pontiac and Saturn are concerned, Saturn has become the new Oldsmobile so they should be the entry brand. Let them build the Cobalts, Astras and Equinoxs, with prices directly aimed at all the Fits and Scions. Pontiac has always toted themselves as the excitement brand so let them be it, by not existing anymore. Instead why not offer cars like the Corvette, Camaro, GTO as General Motors cars, there doesn't need to be a separate marquee for each.

So in conclusion:
Chevy-build trucks
Cadillac- BMW/Lexus fighter
Buick- laymans luxury cars
Saturn entry level brand
GMC and Pontiac- discontinued
A special GM line offering the Corvette, Camaro etc.

Sorry about the book but really this is what could save GM, if they ever realize that playing it safe won't save them.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's really bold, but I kind of like the idea. You realize Saturn would have to make a $nit load of cars though right? Aveos, Cobalts, Malibus, and Impalas actually sell pretty well.....and you're expecting Saturn to just pick up where Chevy left off? Or do you mean just change the badges and park them on Saturn lots?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
What people don't seem to understand here is the lesson from when GM killed Oldsmobile. Those people who used to buy Oldsmobiles (if I remember correctly, GM was selling more Oldsmobiles when they made the decision to kill the brand than they are selling Saturns now) for the most part didn't switch to other GM brands, they looked elsewhere. Now, if GM kills GMC and Pontiac where are those buyers going to go? The two GM brands I would look the most at if I were buying a new GM vehicle now are GMC and Pontiac. If GMC and Pontiac aren't there anymore, I will look elsewhere...Ford, Mazda, Nissan. Just food for thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts