GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Detroit News is reporting that GM has confirmed that production of the Chevrolet Malibu will restart on November 1st.

GM suspended Malibu production last February, in order to use the precious chips destined for the Malibu in more profitable vehicles.

Perhaps...maybe...possibly...the start-up of the apparent low profit Malibu production in three weeks may signal that the chip shortage is easing at General Motors. This would be really great news as the shortage has completely up-ended the industry.

Note this chart from today's edition of Automotive News and keep in mind that these figures are all based not on consumer trends, but supply chain problems. There are so many stories here of treating your supplier base with respect, and the outcomes of doing so, or not doing so. In-house chip production will also be a future topic of conversation in the respective C-Suites. Lessons will be learned from Toyota and the Hyundai-Kia Group.

Font Material property Document Number Parallel

·
Premium Member
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Keep in mind my scientific words here in guessing that the microchip shortage may be easing at General Motors: Perhaps...maybe...possibly...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,265 Posts
Note this chart from today's edition of Automotive News and keep in mind that these figures are all based not on consumer trends, but supply chain problems. There are so many stories here of treating your supplier base with respect, and the outcomes of doing so, or not doing so. In-house chip production will also be a future topic of conversation in the respective C-Suites. Lessons will be learned from Toyota and the Hyundai-Kia Group.
Considering how gm pretty much got caught with their pants down, I still have to wonder about this and that last sentance. Whether they really did or not.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,180 Posts
It's not just chips.
You name it, we're running out of it.
Hardware in particular is a real pain in the butt.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,358 Posts
Wow, Detroit 3 marketshare down almost 6%. I wonder how much of that they can claw back, even when they get the chips? Gas prices are up, and it looks like they are going to stay up for quite a while. Detroit 3 sell very few fuel-efficient vehicles these days, except for Escape/Maverick Hybrids.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
Keep in mind my scientific words here in guessing that the microchip shortage may be easing at General Motors: Perhaps...maybe...possibly...

Wow, Detroit 3 marketshare down almost 6%. I wonder how much of that they can claw back, even when they get the chips? Gas prices are up, and it looks like they are going to stay up for quite a while. Detroit 3 sell very few fuel-efficient vehicles these days, except for Escape/Maverick Hybrids.
Your comments are setting up my thought on this one..............

A co-worker, he is in field-sales, JUST TODAY says to me, "With $4.00 gas, the expectation of higher prices and no sign of relief, I think I'm going to sell my Tahoe and get something cheaper and better on gas"

- Imagine if everyone that didn't need a big truck or SUV didn't buy one!?.............

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

A co-worker, he is in field-sales, JUST TODAY says to me, "With $4.00 gas, the expectation of higher prices and no sign of relief, I think I'm going to sell my Tahoe and get something cheaper and better on gas"

- Imagine if everyone that didn't need a big truck or SUV didn't buy one!?.............
They'd just buy one of the plethora of GM electric vehicles. That's what GM expects, anyway. Most of know how that will really play out, they'll shop elsewhere as they did before when fuel prices surged.

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
^ Duramax ís about 33% better, higher with more highway travel. ;)
So question then is: Trade in his $50,000 SUV for a $70,000 one to save $200/month or get a smaller, cheaper, more economical vehicle?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Here’s a couple of alternatives that would save him over 50% of his fuel costs (RAV4 Hybrid and Mach-E):

(I would mention a Chevy Hybrid, but it doesn’t exist. I’m assuming the Bolt is too small for him.)

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,970 Posts
Why is "Chevy Malibu production to resume" good news? The vehicle is effectively ignored by prospective non-fleet new vehicle customers, and not profitable for General Motors to produce.

Just kill it, GM.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Why is "Chevy Malibu production to resume" good news? The vehicle is effectively ignored by prospective non-fleet new vehicle customers, and not profitable for General Motors to produce.

Just kill it, GM.
With gas ever increasing, GM is just hedging their bets in case folks suddenly return to buying sedans. At least they'll have one to sell unlike Ford and Stellantis.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,369 Posts
The grocery store shelves are still hit and miss as well. :(
Yup. I was in Walmart on Sunday and the frozen food section was half empty. Never seen anything like it.

This happens every time gas prices go up.

The inflation adjusted price of gas is still relatively low and even the actual price is far from any record. If you can afford a Tahoe then gas shouldn't be an issue for you.

Gas prices likely to go back down next year when production comes back up anyway.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Equinox/Terrain production has been put off (again) to November 1...maybe the Malibu has fewer/cheaper chips? Or maybe Caddy really needs more XT4s (same factory) so they're also putting together some Malibus?

gm authority dot com/blog/2021/10/chevy-equinox-gmc-terrain-production-restart-pushed-back-to-november-1st/

·
Registered
21,088 Posts

Just kill it, GM.
At $2.00 gas and a good economy, yes; but how about $5.00 gas and a bad economy?

Yup. I was in Walmart on Sunday and the frozen food section was half empty. Never seen anything like it.

This happens every time gas prices go up.

The inflation adjusted price of gas is still relatively low and even the actual price is far from any record. If you can afford a Tahoe then gas shouldn't be an issue for you.

Gas prices likely to go back down next year when production comes back up anyway.
Yes, compared to gas in 1980 it's "cheap" but what about 2 years ago when it was $2.00?
- In the "BIG PICTURE" it's relevant, but in the macro-picture; not at all................

EXAMPLE:
You have an Adjustable Rate Mortgage, and your rate goes from 2% to 5%; in 1980 you father had a rate of 15%, so nothing to worry about? No, because you bought your house based on current conditions, not 40 years ago. And just like mortgage rates, the lower the rate, the higher prices go, be it size of house, cost, amount barrowed, etc.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
137 Posts
They need to keep the Malibu, I find it hard to believe that a major vehicle manufacturer would not have least 2-3 cars in their line-up, bare minimum a smaller/compact model and a midsize to larger model. See Civic/Accord, Corolla/Camry etc. The SUV craze will not last forever, especially if gas prices keep going up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Detroit News is reporting that GM has confirmed that production of the Chevrolet Malibu will restart on November 1st.

GM suspended Malibu production last February, in order to use the precious chips destined for the Malibu in more profitable vehicles.

Perhaps...maybe...possibly...the start-up of the apparent low profit Malibu production in three weeks may signal that the chip shortage is easing at General Motors. This would be really great news as the shortage has completely up-ended the industry.

View attachment 64589

I work at Fairfax. We will start a 20% XT4 80% Malibu mix but only full production on one shift. What has happened is our suppliers lost all their employees due to the long layoff and due to the labor shortage are having a hard time with manpower. Right now they only have output for one shift. It looks like the second shift will be back next year after Christmas...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,265 Posts
They need to keep the Malibu, I find it hard to believe that a major vehicle manufacturer would not have least 2-3 cars in their line-up, bare minimum a smaller/compact model and a midsize to larger model. See Civic/Accord, Corolla/Camry etc. The SUV craze will not last forever, especially if gas prices keep going up.
A lot of truth ton that, but people are just going to the import brands rather than gm or Ford. :(

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
You made your commend within the quote-marks, so it may have got lost from view; thanks for your comments and insight.

I work at Fairfax. We will start a 20% XT4 80% Malibu mix but only full production on one shift. What has happened is our suppliers lost all their employees due to the long layoff and due to the labor shortage are having a hard time with manpower. Right now they only have output for one shift. It looks like the second shift will be back next year after Christmas...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts