GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing the pictures, reading the reviews and hearing it online...I am oficially in love with the GTO. Just have some questions about it...

1)When are they due in Dealerships?
2)How much will they cost? (I am hearing $32,000)
3)How much will markup be?

I am thinking about trading in my GTP for the GTO, I don't really use the back-seat at all, and I could probably get a decent amount of money for it right now. What do you guys think? Am I acting irrationally? Has my love of the GTO possesed my brain? Am I crazy? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'd say go 4 it Thoe man!!!!!!...Support the GTO so that GM will produce other cars of its type down the road!. I dig the GTO as well,especially with the mods see done 2 it on the front page :bounce: . Keep one thing though, with winter come sucky handling with all that power @ foot and wide tires that like 2 act as snow shoes and ride atop the snow rather than digging through it (something I don't like with my T/A). Then again that's Y U switch 2 skinnier,smaller in diameter rims w/some snow chains and have UR way with the snow anyway (what I did with the T/A when I had no other means of transport),but U have a truck 4 that kinda crap anyway right???......LIke I said go 4 it man!!! get it while U can and raise hell with it :woot2: . Maybe one day I'll buy it used..hehehehe ;)

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I am thinking about trading in my GTP for the GTO, I don't really use the back-seat at all, and I could probably get a decent amount of money for it right now. What do you guys think? Am I acting irrationally? Has my love of the GTO possesed my brain? Am I crazy? Thanks...
Tahoe, that's called "getting bitten by the bug," and from an objective standpoint, you are definitely in the market based on emotion.

Markup on the GTO is probably not particularly high, my guess would be around $2500 at MSRP (since our SSR's is only about $2400 at an MSRP of $44,000), and rest assured no dealer will give up a cent of that right now or in the near future. People have been asking for the "no-****er sticker" for a long time now (e.g. Saturn, Nissan Titan), and it's gonna be tough for a lot of them to swallow the medicine.

IMHO, that kind of margin is emminently fair anyway on a 30+ grand GTO. Until they've been around for a while, and dealerships are able to stock more than 1 or 2 of them, you probably won't be able to test drive one either, as they know GTO buyers will be like Corvette buyers, and want their cars with "zero" miles.

Being "bitten" isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as you do your homework to the point of getting fair treatment financially, and insisting on an explanation if your numbers don't seem to add up, being enthusiastic about your purchase can take a lot of the grind out of taking delivery. Make sure that you have a solid idea of your trade equity before even stepping foot on the dealership. If it's substantially negative, forget the whole idea.

I bought my Z-28 on that exact whim, and I've been lucky that it's been a phenomenal car to own, and has provided enjoyment worthy of the higher payment and insurance. I also was lucky in that I had GMS pricing on my side, which meant I knew exactly what I was getting. My advice would be to thoroughly consider the value in ownership, and how your GTP currently suits your needs. Also strongly consider raising your GTP's performance, for far less than trading into a GTO, and whether it would be a better cost-value return. With my trade equity levelling out in my Z-28, catching a deal on a 2004 Z06 has definitely crossed my mind, but I can get very close to a Z06 with a couple more grand in my Camaro.

Definitely wait, though, until the market cools enough that you can assuredly get a GTO at MSRP, and that you can get a good test drive. There's enough hi-po stuff in the future that it might be worthwhile to hold off for now.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was in a Pontiac GMC dealership the other day looking for a reciever for the GMC 2500 4x4 I just bought and talked to someone there about the new GTO.

The guy said GM has been really vague about the GTO but that this dealership is getting 12 total and that 2 already have money put down on them. He said they are expected in the second week of Decemeber.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice everyone, I will adress each of you buy your names here:

Casket Demon: I really want to support the GTO here, I think GM put out a great product. I agree more work could have been done, but it kicks my GTP's arse off when it comes to quality. And yes, I have a truck for that kind of crap. Its my Tahoe:

, and there is always the Blazer if I really really need it. (But its not insured right now, lol. I garadged it again since my GTP purchase).

Ghranky: Good 'old Ghranky, what could we do without you? I knew I could count on you for some conservative advice. I definitely have got bitten by a bug, I just hope its a bug that is carrying a life time GTO disease than a 1 month virus. I know there are many mods that one can do to a Grand Prix, but I am not sure how much I can get out of an already blown engine. I think I am going to wait a while. I am going to enter some of my local dealerships tommorow, and maybe go into the city, which leads me to TAFreak.

TAFreak: Thanks for the advice about the vauge GTO info, I will try to nit-pick their brains about the GTO when I get there.

My Plan is wait a few months, see how the whole situation rolls out. Although it would be awesome to sign up for a GTO on my birthday (tommrow) it ain't gonna happen, so I will have to part with my dream for now. Save it for another day... hopefully a day pretty soon. But go out there and check out the GTO it really is an awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm gonna wait for the 2005 or the 2006.

I mean, compare a 93 Fbody to a 98... big difference in both power and styling.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
If you love that car that much, go for it! But if you think you'll want a more retro and powerful GTO, I would wait...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Nov 30 2003, 01:00 AM
I'm gonna wait for the 2005 or the 2006.

I mean, compare a 93 Fbody to a 98... big difference in both power and styling.
That's what i'd do. It's going to happen here... it'll be better in a year or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts