GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking out www.Solsticeforums.com and foud this:
I just got back from the 2004 Detroit Autoshow where the Solstice (both production and concept cars) were being shown. The GM spokesperson talking about the car to the public stated that there will be a 170hp 2.4L Ecotec version priced at under $18000 and then a fully loaded 2.2L Ecotec with 240hp model priced at around $25,000. The question was asked will the 240hp be supercharger or turbocharged and the response was TURBOCHARGED!!! Interesting!!!!
Anybody have any information as to the validity of this quote?? It sure would be cool if it was offered as an option. Only thing though, it should be offered in stages so you're not just going from $18k to $25k. I don't need it loaded, I just want it as powerful as can be with the bare minimum of every thing else. Fully loaded is just more weight and more stuff to break and need to be fixed in the future.

:bounce:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Ive red about the 240HP SC I4 from the begining so my guess is it will be a option.Back then I dident know about the 170HP NA I4 and was shocked about it wile reading coverage of NAIAS.I thought it would be SC standard. <_<

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, that doesn't add up. There's already a 2.2L supercharged Ecotech in the parts bin. It's the engine that's going into the Saturn Ion Red Line.

Given that they've already got this engine production ready, I don't see them giong back to the drawing boards to do up another blown version of the 2.2. Remember, it's the parts bin that made the Solstice possible - or, make that affordable.

Also, as I write, it occurs to me that 240 hp out of 2.2 liters, even turbocharged, is pretty strong stuff. That would be a very high-strung engine.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Jan 20 2004, 05:20 AM
Also, as I write, it occurs to me that 240 hp out of 2.2 liters, even turbocharged, is pretty strong stuff.  That would be a very high-strung engine.
umm... not exactly true. You should look up the mega hp 600-800hp turbo ecotec FWD drag cars using an ecotec block. I dont think they are high strung. 240hp out of a 2.4 is easy.

All the 4cyls use the same ecotec modualar motor. A blower on a 2.0 could fit on a 2.2 and a 2.4. Maybe not a 2.4 because of the VVT, but the rest of the ecotec line its a direct swap.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Im thinking that could be the reason for using the 2.2 and smaller engines..so they don't have to deal with the VVT. But the question then is...why bother with the 2.4 at all?

I always thought SC also..TC hasn't been GM's thing.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Jan 20 2004, 07:09 AM
I always thought SC also..TC hasn't been GM's thing.
coughGN,GNX,TTA,TType,Sy/Ty,GA,cough....

There are more turbo cars then supercharged. GP's, GS, Monte, Impy are the only supercharged cars I can think of now, with the Ion redline too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It hasnt been there thing recently
the TTA was the GN engines left over, the Sy/TY were also clones of each other.

Really only three types of turbo engines made by GM, the GN engine, the Sy/TY engine which im unsure on if its the same engine as the GN, and the disgracful 301 Turboed pontiac.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
It makes sense. Especially when you consider that the Solstice is supposed to attract import buyers, (Miata mostly), so using a Turbo over a Supercharger has its image benefits, (but I would still prefer a Supercharger, or NA)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Don't forget the Turbo Grand Prix, that's a 3.1 turbo. Also GM had the Turbo 2.0/1.8 OHC engine in the 80s. A form of this engine is still made in Brazil. In the late 70's and early 80s the following cars came with the turbocharged Buick V6: Regal, Lesabre, Century, Riviera and even the Monte Carlo.

SC cars include: Park Avenue, Bonneville, LSS, Grand Prix, Regal Impala, and Monte Carlo. But of course these are all forms of the L67.

-T

·
Registered
685 Posts
And don't forget the Eco is already being turbocharged by SAAB, hell, it has been out. NO need to go "back to the drawing board". Just up the boost and add some even stronger internals, if need be. This sounds great!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Jan 20 2004, 07:56 AM

Really only three types of turbo engines made by GM, the GN engine, the Sy/TY engine which im unsure on if its the same engine as the GN, and the disgracful 301 Turboed pontiac.
Not really, the TTA had differnent heads and a bigger intercooler I belive. More like the GNX motor. The Sy/Ty's had a 4.3 V6 turbo. The 3.1 Grand Prix is another motor, the TTA of old with teh 301.

And does saab have an ecotec? I thought it was a saab motor.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Jan 20 2004, 04:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jan 20 2004, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nocturn_Bird@Jan 20 2004, 07:56 AM

Not really, the TTA had differnent heads and a bigger intercooler I belive. More like the GNX motor. The Sy/Ty's had a 4.3 V6 turbo. The 3.1 Grand Prix is another motor, the TTA of old with teh 301.

And does saab have an ecotec? I thought it was a saab motor. [/b][/quote]
The 9-3 uses the ecotech. I believe the 9-5 uses a different engine though.

·
Registered
750 Posts
haha, well anyways they seem to be going the SC route now a days.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There aren't going to build the Solstice till next year so the hp numbers may go up before then. If you want the Solstice to have a more powerful motor, don't just sit there and compalin. Email Pontiac and let them know. I have already sent several emails. B)

·
Registered
1 Posts
the new saturn Ion rally concept uses a 2.2L turbo ecotec from the saab so it's already been tapped into so maybe. I have a 3.1L turbo grand prix so you can probably tell which i want.......TURBO!!

marcus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts