1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
:repost: seen this once before

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
A V6 cannot physically fit in the engine bay. However a small block V8 can.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm hoping that the right people at GM really gets this blinding bright idea and swing into action to make it a production reality! I will sell my soul to have one!
I doubt we will ever see a V8 Solstice, the market factors are against it with the high gas prices

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I doubt we will ever see a V8 Solstice, the market factors are against it with the high gas prices
Wouldn't a V8 in the Solstice make it heavier than a Corvette? (Anybody know the weight of the Solstice with a V8 conversion?)

I'm not sure how heavy the coupe version is, but the 2.0 liter turbocharged GXP roadster version has a Curb Weight of 2976 lbs!
Its not that bad until you compare it to the 3217 lb 6.2 liter V8 Corvette.
I guess that explains why the fuel economy figures are only slightly better than the Corvettes. +3mpg city and +2mpg hwy.

V8 in a Solstice? ...I think the 3.6 liter Direct Injection V6 would be better plus some weight saving body panels.

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
Wouldn't a V8 in the Solstice make it heavier than a Corvette? (Anybody know the weight of the Solstice with a V8 conversion?)

I'm not sure how heavy the coupe version is, but the 2.0 liter turbocharged GXP roadster version has a Curb Weight of 2976 lbs!
Its not that bad until you compare it to the 3217 lb 6.2 liter V8 Corvette.
I guess that explains why the fuel economy figures are only slightly better than the Corvettes. +3mpg city and +2mpg hwy.

V8 in a Solstice? ...I think the 3.6 liter Direct Injection V6 would be better plus some weight saving body panels.
With fuel economy becoming more important to the government.. I think turbo 4 is the best we'll see..

The turbo four is a great motor. I'd suggest that if I were buying a solstice that motor would be more than enough...

Rumors could have hp on the powerplant up to 300 in the future...

·
Registered
241 Posts
A V6 cannot physically fit in the engine bay. However a small block V8 can.
My Saturn dealership told me that there was an aftermarket company near me that was buying Skys and putting V8s in them. So I'd imagine that a V8 could be put in a Solstice. I dunno about V6s though, I'd assume that if a V8 could fit, so could a V6.
I doubt that GM would put a V8 in stock though. I think that a four is the best we'll see for awhile.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think that like Shelby did the AC cars from Britian, leave it to aftermarket auto shops to perform this type of surgery. GM cannot warranty nor take the CAFE hit that a V8 solstice would carry. Leave it to the performance shops and backyard mechanics to make it work. Thats how cult cars are born.

·
Registered
441 Posts
...V8 in a Solstice? ...I think the 3.6 liter Direct Injection V6 would be better plus some weight saving body panels.
Not sure of the weight, but these guys will put V-8s into Solstices and Skys...your choice of an LS2 or an LS7, along with the requisite brake and transmission upgrades so that you don't tear the car in half with the extra horsepower!

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm
:drive:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe GM should consider adding V6 and V8 engine options to the Solstice after the next redesign and distance it from the Sky which would retain the 4 cylinder engines. The Solstice could position itself between the Corvette and the Sky.
Personally I think Pontiac needs a more macho sports car if it wants to be a proper performance brand. It's kinda silly that Chevy, the bread and butter brand, has the Vette and the "excitement" division has only a cute little roadster/coupe with a four banger. They need a car that makes people say WOW!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Maybe GM should consider adding V6 and V8 engine options to the Solstice after the next redesign and distance it from the Sky which would retain the 4 cylinder engines. The Solstice could position itself between the Corvette and the Sky.
Personally I think Pontiac needs a more macho sports car if it wants to be a proper performance brand. It's kinda silly that Chevy, the bread and butter brand, has the Vette and the "excitement" division has only a cute little roadster/coupe with a four banger. They need a car that makes people say WOW!!!
I am with you, I'd love to see a Solstice with a V-6 or V-8...but for the record, don't underestimate the turbo 2.0 in the GXP Solstice...0-60 in 5.5 is nothing to sneeze at! :)

Even the Mallett conversion above with the V-8 is 4.4 0-60.

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
If you want a v8 in a solstice its pretty much a corvette. I don't believe GM will ever move to produce a V6 or a V8 in the solstice family.

I really think the ecotech 2.0 turbo motor is more than enough for a fast sports car.

The only change I would like to see is PTM, and DSG as an option.

If it had that it would be even better. Without either its still an awesome sports car.

World class and this new coupe just puts icing on the cake.

JMO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts