GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Pontiac release a hardtop coupe version of the Solstice like the concept, or will we only get the convertible? I'm all for the coupe, my girlfriend wants the convertible. :huh:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Well, the Kappa platform is supposed to be easily changable and adaptable. In particular, I've gotten the idea that the body tooling is cheaper to do than for more conventional high-volume cars.

So a coupe version ought to be easy to do. And a fairly easy decision to make if the roadster is a success.

The question is whether GM is going to stick with the program and make a revolution in the car business, or whether they will go the easy route, and just rebadge, rebadge, rebadge. The recent report about the Chevrolet "Sportster" suggests the rebadge route is the road they're taking, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The Solstice would be a natural for a coupe. Is the pic that you are showing a concept for the coupe-get rid of the vertical exhaust pipes and go with the conventional route for a cleaner looking machine.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Mar 23 2004, 01:02 AM
Well, the Kappa platform is supposed to be easily changable and adaptable. In particular, I've gotten the idea that the body tooling is cheaper to do than for more conventional high-volume cars.

So a coupe version ought to be easy to do. And a fairly easy decision to make if the roadster is a success.

The question is whether GM is going to stick with the program and make a revolution in the car business, or whether they will go the easy route, and just rebadge, rebadge, rebadge. The recent report about the Chevrolet "Sportster" suggests the rebadge route is the road they're taking, unfortunately.
your calling rebadge on a car that is just a rumor, and outside of a drawing, you have NO idea what your talking about.
IF the sportster comes out, they said it has Corvette cues, not Solstice cues. Is it ok to have more then one convertable car on the line up? I didnt know that it was against the rules? I doubt that it will be a rebadge. Please, enough of the rebadge talk. Your already knocking a car that doesnt exist.

As for a coupe version, based on that design, I think the Crossfire has already cornerd the market of butt fugly rear end design. I would like a coupe, but I like the idea of having just a vert top much like the miata. Id love to get a Solstice to ad to my slow car collection, thats if the Saturn version doesnt look good. If the Curve shows up, Ill opt for that.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
That little Solstice coupe remindes me so much of the Opel GT that was sold through Buick dealerships from 1969 to 1973. I think that there is a good chance that Pontiac might add the coupe to the model line, but not at first, probably a few years after the roadster debuts and demand and capacity are brought in line.

·
Registered
396 Posts
umm... malibu, MAXX, and 9³ are all "rebadged" but aside from the fact that the malibu and MAXX are from the same line, there's nothing similar about the cars. rebadging = gift from the gods as long as its done right. as a prime example of doing it wrong, loot at the GMT360 :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
oh, and another rebadging thing i thought of:

every one of cadillac's new cars are all rebadged sigmas or Y-bodies [they still use that name for the 'vette?]. the CTS, SRX and STS will all be sigmas, which shows the versatility of the sigma, plus how you can make 3 TOTALLY different cars from ONE platform, and the XLR is off the 'vette.

honestly, i keep forgetting that the CTS/SRX/STS are "the same" car underneath, but utterly different in every other respect.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
If the Saturn version of Kappa and a Pontiac, Chevy, or any GM division version of Kappa had distinct styling then having the platformed shared would be a good thing for GM and the marketplace.
I really hope GM builds the Solstice coupe it is a great looking car. What a 21st century Fiero would be.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
every one of cadillac's new cars are all rebadged sigmas or Y-bodies [they still use that name for the 'vette?]. the CTS, SRX and STS will all be sigmas, which shows the versatility of the sigma, plus how you can make 3 TOTALLY different cars from ONE platform, and the XLR is off the 'vette.

Though I would not call the Sigmas re-badged, as far as I know, all the Sigma body cars have carried one badge only, Cadillac. The CTS, SRX and new STS, while Sigma based, all have different dimensions. I dont believe that there is another General Motors division that uses the Sigma except Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I dont consider having several cars on the same platform rebadging as long as they look different.
Epsilon is a GREAT example of what one chassis can bring to a mega line up of fantastic cars.
The GMT360 and CSV's are a good example of rebading. What GM should really try to get away from, but in this case, I dont think most people care as long as its an SUV or Minivan.
Kappa has shown to make several cars off the same chassis without looking like the other one. I dont think we will see anymore rebadges in teh future.

·
Registered
44,289 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu@Mar 23 2004, 06:07 PM
umm... malibu, MAXX, and 9³ are all "rebadged" but aside from the fact that the malibu and MAXX are from the same line, there's nothing similar about the cars. rebadging = gift from the gods as long as its done right. as a prime example of doing it wrong, loot at the GMT360 :D
Malibu and 9-3 are not "rebadges"... not in the slightest...
Not even close.

They share platforms. But that's it.

GMT360's are rebadges. Though Trailblazer is more distinct that the others.

Thing is... they might look alike, but their performance capabilities are different. The next revision shoudl eliminate this all together. (Hopefully)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Im for any new sports car from chevy as long as its not a simple rebadge job as the sportster was suggested to be. The solstice is a great car for pontiac, if Chevy comes out with a fbody like rebadge it will take away some much needed attention and presteige from pontiac. Besides Chevy already has a 2 seater convertible, why the need for another?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts