GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch as we rent a Caddy, take it to the cobbled streets of the super-fashionable nabe and ask residents and visitors about GM's strategy.
USA Today
October 8th, 2014
By: Matthew Diebel

Can a change of scenery turn things around for Cadillac?

That's what the storied General Motors brand hopes will happen by moving its headquarters from struggling Detroit to the super-trendy streets of New York City's SoHo neighborhood.

Cadillac's range of cars have garnered positive reviews from auto writers, but sales are down and foreign markets, such as fast-growing China, are proving hard to crack.

And with buyers with an average age of 59½, according to a report from IHS Automotive cited by 24/7 Wall St., Cadillac's core base is fading fast, resulting in declining sales, an older demographic and less market share than other luxury brands such as Mercedes, BMW and Lexus.

Full article available at link.

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Johan de Nysschen commented:

Johan de Nysschen said:
Actually, the premise of this story misses the point. Of course moving Cadillac to New York will not in itself sell more cars. Nobody cares where a company has it's HQ. There are many reasons behind the relocation, one of them being to submerse the Cadillac team in the premium cosmopolitan lifestyle which characterizes one of the iconic cities of the world. No harm can come from experiencing the world in the same way as our target audience. Over time, the insights gained will shape mindsets, attitudes and behaviors. New thinking creates new strategy. New strategy challenges the status quo. And the status quo is not where we intend to remain.

·
Registered
21,658 Posts
They didn't show the guy that said "What's a Cadillac?"

Interesting comments from Johan............ translated "We are not snobby enough"

·
Registered
21,658 Posts
Also, LOL at them renting an XTS out of all Cadillacs to show it off to all of the residents of SoHo. :lmao:
Since they didn't drive it, just sitting there, I don't think XTS vs. CTS was that big a deal.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Did that girl say ' they need to get a cooler car. This car doesn't look like anything to me"?
Owch,

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also, LOL at them renting an XTS out of all Cadillacs to show it off to all of the residents of SoHo. :lmao:
It's US Today what you expect? Besides I don't think there are very many ats or cts cars in rental fleets and if there are they're probably ten times harder to find then xts's. This seems more like a fluff piece anyway to get stupid people to talk into a mic and laugh at.

Are there any rumors of what building exactly they will be moving too? Or if anyone who lives in New York and been to Soho know of any buildings that might make a good headquarters?

·
Registered
21,658 Posts
I'm actually happy that she didn't like it because that's the kind of customer that Cadillac needs to avoid.
Cadillac has been doing a pretty good job at avoiding customers.

Why did half of those people annoy me?

Same reason the old guy driving the XTS bad mouthing your ATS pissed you off?

·
Registered
21,658 Posts
Going to NYC to focus on executing luxury personal transportation is like going to Detroit to develop mass transit systems
Good one!

Wait, are you bad-mouthing the People Mover!?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
They should have showed them an ATS. That would probably fit SoHo's demographic better.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts