GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I dont remember what got me on a little rant at work (in my mind, not outloud lol) about the Aveo, but it did.

As a reference; Cobalt XFE sedan gets 25/36 2008 rating EPA fuel economy. The Aveo5 hatch gets 24/34.

So, I dont get it. The Aveo should be Chevy's non-hybrid fuel economy leader - by far. It's small, it goes against the Fit and Yaris, and its economy-oriented. Yet the bigger Cobalt gets better mileage.

So...

Why not take the 1.8L, tune it for economy, and give it DI. Say 140-150 HP. Make a 6-spd manual standard with an optional 6-spd automatic. Make sure to setup gearing on both trannies for fuel economy.

I dont see how this shouldn't get upper 20's/upper 30's, maybe even 30/40. Add the BAS+ system, and you're easily into the 40's on the highway, low/mid 30's in the city. In a car with (with BAS+) should be not much more than $15K (the Aveo5 hatch starts at under $11K - the Yaris starts at $11,550 and you can't hardly find one)

I mean, Honda and Toyota are dominating in this segment due to fuel economy. People are looking for top rate fuel economy.

So, to recap...

Aveo/Aveo 5 should come with an economy-oriented 1.8L with DI, a 6-spd manual and optional 6-spd auto geared for fuel economy, and an optional (maybe standard?) BAS+ so we'd be looking at least upper 20's/upper 30's, possibly even 30/40. If thats the case, it'd best the Yaris' 29/35 EPA rating and the Fits 28/34 rating. (the city is what's killing the Yaris, and there should be no reason why we can't have better mileage than that. There's also no excuse as to why our Cobalt XFE can get better highway mileage that both, but the Aveo can't surpass either on the highway - and falls way behind in the city compared to both)

I think my suggestion would help a ton. It may raise the price a little due to the DI and tranny, but we already undercut the Yaris by over $500 base-for-base, and have a HUGE lead on the Fits more Cobalt-like $13,950. And we really need the better gas mileage. Its pathetic big-brother Cobalt walks away with the fuel economy title with easy over little-brother Aveo. Its pathetic, really pathetic.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Aveo has to sell for Aveo price, here in Canada they are selling for 9 995 (Aveo/Wave5 and sedan too I think) with attractive lease/finance options. Hyundai is selling the Accent and Kia Rio for the same price, but if you want financing it costs a lot more.

Yaris you're looking at 14k minimum I think more.

For that kind of money what can you expect? ;)

BAS probably would add a thousand bucks right there

also keep in mind it's an older design, from Daewoo... there is a new model in the pipe, don't know when it will arrive. The main reason for poor economy is the Daewoo 1600 engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
also keep in mind it's an older design, from Daewoo... there is a new model in the pipe, don't know when it will arrive. The main reason for poor economy is the Daewoo 1600 engine.
The Gamma II-based Aveo is supposed to arrive for MY2011. Since the Opel Corsa is using this platform, and Europeans demand a lot from even their subcompacts, I'm sure it'll be class-leading product. Surely some version of the new DI 1400 engine will power it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm sure packaging is a problem as well, there isn't a whole lota room under the hood. I'd rather see the turbo 3 out of the Beat.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Common sense and Logic have no place on this board, AmericanRevolutrion

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
2011 is a long way away. Swapping in a better engine should be fast tracked, not just for the US market, but globally. The Aveo/Barina should be, as you have said, the economy leader. If they improve the economy, even a slight increase in price would be over looked and the large number of sales should offset the R&D expenses + give GM a little cred. The new 'balt is going to make the Aveo look even more pathetic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So, I dont remember what got me on a little rant at work (in my mind, not outloud lol) about the Aveo, but it did.

As a reference; Cobalt XFE sedan gets 25/36 2008 rating EPA fuel economy. The Aveo5 hatch gets 24/34.

So, I dont get it. The Aveo should be Chevy's non-hybrid fuel economy leader - by far. It's small, it goes against the Fit and Yaris, and its economy-oriented. Yet the bigger Cobalt gets better mileage.

So...

Why not take the 1.8L, tune it for economy, and give it DI. Say 140-150 HP. Make a 6-spd manual standard with an optional 6-spd automatic. Make sure to setup gearing on both trannies for fuel economy.

I dont see how this shouldn't get upper 20's/upper 30's, maybe even 30/40. Add the BAS+ system, and you're easily into the 40's on the highway, low/mid 30's in the city. In a car with (with BAS+) should be not much more than $15K (the Aveo5 hatch starts at under $11K - the Yaris starts at $11,550 and you can't hardly find one)

I mean, Honda and Toyota are dominating in this segment due to fuel economy. People are looking for top rate fuel economy.

So, to recap...

Aveo/Aveo 5 should come with an economy-oriented 1.8L with DI, a 6-spd manual and optional 6-spd auto geared for fuel economy, and an optional (maybe standard?) BAS+ so we'd be looking at least upper 20's/upper 30's, possibly even 30/40. If thats the case, it'd best the Yaris' 29/35 EPA rating and the Fits 28/34 rating. (the city is what's killing the Yaris, and there should be no reason why we can't have better mileage than that. There's also no excuse as to why our Cobalt XFE can get better highway mileage that both, but the Aveo can't surpass either on the highway - and falls way behind in the city compared to both)

I think my suggestion would help a ton. It may raise the price a little due to the DI and tranny, but we already undercut the Yaris by over $500 base-for-base, and have a HUGE lead on the Fits more Cobalt-like $13,950. And we really need the better gas mileage. Its pathetic big-brother Cobalt walks away with the fuel economy title with easy over little-brother Aveo. Its pathetic, really pathetic.

Thoughts?
I don't understand why the aveo does not get better mileage.

it has a 1.6 - a 1.8 as you porpose would make it less effiecent maybe.

maybe the 1.6 is just a doggy engine in the aveo?

Yaris is now marked up 1000 bucks. it is now 14k as the other poster mentioned.

the aveo is light - i realy don't know why it gets such poor mileage.

for the $$ it is a great buy - just still, the mileage should be better. ;-/.

·
Premium Member
34,350 Posts
I don't understand why the aveo does not get better mileage.

it has a 1.6 - a 1.8 as you porpose would make it less effiecent maybe.

maybe the 1.6 is just a doggy engine in the aveo?

Yaris is now marked up 1000 bucks. it is now 14k as the other poster mentioned.

the aveo is light - i realy don't know why it gets such poor mileage.

for the $$ it is a great buy - just still, the mileage should be better. ;-/.
its gets poor mileage becouse GM has not bothered to upgrade its engine from the Daewoo days. There is no GM tech in that engine, just old daewoo

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Like I've said before just put the 2.2L Ecotec in the Aveo...class leading HP AND fuel economy...you could probably make a pretty good SS version

·
Registered
44 Posts
So...

Because--to be blunt--if GM took this segment of the market at all seriously, they wouldn't be selling a six-year-old Daewoo.

That culture is surely changing now, but beyond MPG, there's enough wrong with the rest of the Aveo that they'd be better off canning it and re-tooling a truck line for the Corsa, IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts