GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Needed a car and wanted to buy new.

Price range was strictly Astra, Malibu or Fusion. Dodge was offering $8000 off the Charger for 2008, leaving it squarely in Malibu territory.

I like to say I'm a GM fan, and a responsible consumer. After all I did tons of paper research. Read forums to see what owners really thought of their cars.

But responsible?

I test drove an 08 Charger SE with the 3.5L V6.
ABS and ESP come standard.
Fully independent suspension.
Base stereo does MP3s

And after exactly 3 minutes I decided that I will never buy another FWD car again. So in I went, and out I walked, the owner of a new car. Delivery followed a day later.

1000 miles later:
+ RWD
+ Very attractive styling in person, definitely a good fit for my crass and vulgar, laughing-at-dead-baby-jokes personality.
+ Engine is smooth and quiet. Loud and sounds nice when you get on it.
+ Transmission shifts are quick and imperceptible.
+ ESP (stability program) is incredibly good. Has saved my dumb ass from killing myself twice already. Heh.
+ Excellent acceleration to highway speeds. Much better than its bad 0-60 time would suggest.
+ Great brakes. They grab really well and pedal feels goodish.
+ Cavernous trunk with relocated battery.
+ Good enough for me gas mileage
+ Cheap insurance (I'm 22)

Now for the negatives:
- 3800lb curb weight makes me a saaaaaad panda. Not a liability when driving alone, but the 3.5 isn't very happy with a full complement onboard.
- only 250hp (not bad by GM/Ford/Toyota/Honda standards, but bad by nissan standards when coupled with heavy weight)
- No rear sway bar on base model. Makes car kinda floaty at high speeds. Tracks straight and true, but doesn't inspire much confidence, but then i'm used to FWD econoboxes.

Sway bar is cheap, and you can order the police version at any dealer, but you need to take apart the rear suspension to get to it.

Long story short:

I love this car.

The car guy inside me is bitching about not getting the R/T. only 12K bucks more but i probably could have negotiated a deal. Not a mistake I will ever repeat, mind you.

Not that the 3.5 is inadequate. It handily beats any dumb toyohonda in the same price range. Most people my age are cruising around in lame-duck 4cylinders, so even when they're being douches on the highway (ie, accelerating when I try to pass) I can still rip em....at part throttle. That isn't because my car is so amazing, but because the average 4cyl econobox is so damn pathetic in terms of driving experience.

Conclusion:
Dodge has made my life difficult.

Challenger R/T or Camaro SS?

I was always a GM loyalist, but dodge made me realize that just because it's not the 60s/70s, it doesn't mean cars have to suck.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Probably the most sexy lines of any sedan on the road.

G35 looks more sophisticated, like the accountant that can run marathons.

Charger looks like the angry engineer that pumps iron and punches people in the mouth when they won't shut up.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Charger sitting next to Ol' Reliable.

You can really see what a substantial car the Charger is. The aerodynamics of the Protege look much better, but in practice, the Charger is really not that bad.

The Green Stallion. 1998 Mazda Protege 1.8.

With a curb weight of 2600 lbs, a "decent" four-banger, and a really good suspension, it was fun to drive in its own way. Whipped in and out of lanes. And if the horrible torque curve didn;t make you fall asleep, you could have a lot of fun from 4500-6500RPM, where the engine was happiest.

One week, I smashed it into a concrete divider. Bumper was in pieces, fender was bent downwards, turn signal was MIA, etc. Started right up, and the alignment wasn't even off

Then the next week, I was going 170 on the highway. I heard a loud POP under the floor as I coasted in 3rd. Thought what could it be? Transmission? no it's fwd, that's way over there. Looked in the rearview, white smoke billowed everywhere. No way to stop, because I'd have gotten hit and killed. So I drove the car for the equivalent of two blocks with no oil in it.

Towed, cleaned, filled, run, drained, filled again........

It's -40 hp, but it just won't die.

That concludes my Charger story.

Comments? Questions? Accusations of treason? Post!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Hey who can fault you for buying a sexy, modern, roomy RWD?!? I love it! I'm not much of a Chrysler fan, but the Charger is a nice piece of hardware. The front end shot is great with the water beaded up on it.

A couple years back I had a Magnum rental... not the exact same thing, but close. I'm used to underpowered cars so I found the V6 more than adequate. What I liked the most was how imposing the car was... people literally waited to pull out when I was passing by and get out of the way on the highway.

Cool purchase man! You don't owe an apology to anyone!

·
Registered
954 Posts

Probably the most sexy lines of any sedan on the road.

G35 looks more sophisticated, like the accountant that can run marathons.

Charger looks like the angry engineer that pumps iron and punches people in the mouth when they won't shut up.
grats on the car, but I'd hardly call those lines "the most sexy lines of any sedan on the road"

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Comments? Questions? Accusations of treason? Post!
Great set of posts - I'm still laughing.

Excellent choice, nice price.

Treason ????? Well see, evidently your Mom and my Dad have been talking to each other ... oh, going on for a little while now............. and its seems they're long past the intro - hell, they maybe rollin' around in the grass for all anyone knows so ..... you appear to have bought a GM product after all or forward all or ...whatever - welcome to the family ???? early ?.:confused:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Nice looking car from what I can see. I think you will be pleased. We actually had thought about getting a Charger, but the Ms likes sitting up high so we decided against any cars for now. She needs to sit up high, hell, she's shorter than T-Rex!

Hope it brings you many years of happiness. So far, we are very pleased with our Rainier. We also just turned in an 06 Town and Country. It was 100% trouble free over 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Congratulations!

Out of all present-day American cars, the one that I would want the most is the Charger, simply for it being the most "American" out there - from the outstanding, sexy design, to the rubbish quality :D But seriously - had I been offered the choice of a regular midsizer and a Charger at the same price, I'd take the Charger, provided it had ABS and a steering wheel.

As concerns your Mopar vs. GM allegiance dilemma, do not worry. Thanks to Cerberus and GM management, Chrysler won't be there anymore in three years.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Congrats Corporal:

I am an auto enthusiast, I love cars! I have purchased more GM cars than any other, I like Pontiacs and Cadillacs. However I did own a Chrysler Lebaron Limited Turbo Convertible and really loved that car. It was fast, quiet, had a double insulated convertible top (no wind noise or leaks) and the leather interior and Infinity II sound system rocked! Also it was great on gas.

Best wishes with your Charger, and Welcome again to the GM family (merger pending).

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
No excuse that GM doesn't have a real competitor to market for this car except for the G8.

Unfortunately, the G8 is a little pricey and a tad small. Otherwise, I hope to see a more G8 based products in GM's future.

I've always liked the Charger. Great choice...but I'd be kicking myself for skipping the HEMI too.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I give Dodge all the respect for bringing a mainstream RWD sedan, somthing GM REFUSES to do.

Earlier this year I had a base 2.7L rental and despite the lack of fun power I wouldn't consider it slow and I don't understand all the ragging on their interiors...I thought it was pretty nice for the price.

And congratulations on your purchase

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Nice Charger. A deals a deal. Its not treason when GM doesnt offer a reasonably priced RWD sedan. G8 is a nice car but the dealer markup is crazy.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
You made a good choice. Charger is one of the nicer-looking sedans on the road.

And anyone here who holds it against you will change their tune, possibly by the end of the month, at least if what the WSJ said comes true.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If Dodge would have made it flex fuel capable, one of them would have been in the driveway instead of the Impala. Good choice, and no need to apologize to anyone for it.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Congrats on the purchase......an SXT Charger was on my list, but that was at the very top of my price range. :eek:

Echoing mikmak, next to an R/T, it may seem like you settled for less......but if you're satisfied & happy with what you got, that makes all the difference :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts