GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?por...t_code=00462702

To limit pedestrian injuries, engineers and designers will have to make the front of a car or SUV into an enormous, soft-crumple zone, while still maintaining car-to-car crash performance in offset barrier tests and while still satisfying low-speed parking impact protection. As a result, automakers say hood lines will rise by about 2.75 inches to provide an ample crush zone above the hard parts, like engines and suspension mounts. At the same time, the leading edge of the hood must be at least 5.9 inches ahead of the nearest hard point, such as the radiator or engine. The first rule will hurt sports car styling; the second will radically alter SUV front ends.

The ideal role model is the slope-nosed, small minivan look of the Mercedes A-Class or the Euro Honda Civic hatchback. Not encouraging if you like your sports cars low and mean or your SUVs imposing and tall.
I guess they want everybody to drive *****-looking jellybean hatchbacks.

:plasma:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Would cow catchers fill their safety requirements? That way the peds can roll off. It'll make for a smoother ride.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
If the French decide to do it, California won't be far behind. And Detroit will cave just to cater to the Californian car market. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Note to self: "Start taking automotive and machining classes and get really good at welding and fabricating sheet metal and fiberglass and stick to old restorable cars or building kit cars so I don't have to cave in and buy stupid looking *****-mobiles like the Scion van thing."

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 13 2004, 04:01 PM
Would cow catchers fill their safety requirements? That way the peds can roll off. It'll make for a smoother ride.
I doubt it since Cow Catchers "AKA" Brush Guards tend to make a pedestrian or animal go underneath the vehicle.

And since when do we have Roll Over Regulations on SUVs in America?? (The SUV thing is from the article)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
jesus.... I thought europeans loved driving?
40 years, we will all be driving 30hp hybrid pillows.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
According 2 alot of people Euro-trash is the way 2 go......enjoy UR brand new Smart w/optional cow catcher..... :lol:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Think steam locomotive.
The cow catcher is the plow in the front. Probably should have been known as a buffalo catcher since the early trains had to sometimes wait for the large herds to pass.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I think pedestrians should be required to wear a helmet, 6 point harness and a roll cage at all times!

Poor pedestrians.....what about poor driver?... a pedestrian can door significant damage to the front of your car!

How about making pedestrians more car-friendly?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Feb 17 2004, 07:10 PM
How about making pedestrians more car-friendly?
The next generation of American's are already working on that..... look at the increasingly high rates of obesity in our children...... :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts