·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six Airbags Standard Across Commodore Range

GM Holden
8 March 2008
www.holden.com.au

GM Holden has announced its top-selling VE Commodore range now has six airbags and air-conditioning as standard on all sedan models, from Omega to the range-topping SS V.

Holden has reinforced its commitment to safety and value by adding Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS to the range of models that have Curtain Airbags standard alongside ESP®.

Omega sedan also gains Side Impact Airbags, air-conditioning, alloy wheels, body colour exterior door handles and mirror covers and an all-new grille treatment.

On sale 15 March and starting at RRP $36,790 (excludes dealer delivery and Government charges), the enhanced VE Omega sedan is also available in the new exterior colour of Karma.

Side Impact Airbags, Curtain Airbags and ESP® are also standard across the all-new Sportwagon range – with the addition of rear park assist.

When launched mid-year, Sportwagon pricing will be only $1000 more than its sedan equivalents, and offers a new level of comfort, safety and styling in a Holden wagon, combined with sedan-like ride and handling characteristics.

GM Holden previewed a selection of Sportwagon models and new exterior colours at the Melbourne International Motor Show, including an SS V Voodoo (aqua blue metallic) and Calais V in Karma (dark jade green metallic).

GM Holden Executive Director of Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, Alan Batey, said the Omega upgrade and Sportwagon pricing were further examples of Holden delivering increased value, safety and choice to customers.

“With six airbags and ESP® now standard on Commodore sedan and the soon-to-be-launched Sportwagon line-up, we believe potential buyers will see this as a fantastic value-for-money proposition.” he said.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I saw this coming. They also updated the interior trim of the SS-V with the silver strips along the dash as shown on the wagon at Melbourne (the same as the G8). The colour I'm interested in is Nitrate which I assume will replace Nickel Silver. Looks good in the Sportwagon brochure.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Here is the Voodoo SS-V from the show. The colour doesn't work well in photos but the highlight above the taillight is closest to the colour in the flesh. If that made sense.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can we trade the air bags and alloys for the 195kW V6 and 5 speed auto from the SV6? Aurion, Falcon and new Accord all have more power, 5 or six speed gearboxes, use less fuel and in the case of the Aurion and Accord, are significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Can we trade the air bags and alloys for the 195kW V6 and 5 speed auto from the SV6? Aurion, Falcon and new Accord all have more power, 5 or six speed gearboxes, use less fuel and in the case of the Aurion and Accord, are significantly cheaper.
Well for starters aurion and accord are not in the large car class as Commodore and Falcon are so of course there goin to be cheaper, i dont care how many times toyota crap on about it being the same as Commodore and Falcon, its a damn camry with a V6 how they can class them as diff sizes is beyond me, i think you could prob assume Holden will fit a 5sp auto and dump the old 4sp when the series 2 VE comes out, anyone know when thats scheduled, im suprised Holden didnt call this one a series 2 model its a pretty reasonable upgrade in equipment.

And id rather have the extra airbags over a small increase in fuel, the diff between the Commodore Falcon and Aurion isnt massively great anyone can get pretty good economy in either car depending on how they drive, i can sometimes get between 11 litres per 100Kms in my VT around town which is pretty good for the old 3.8 :)

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
The standard air has been a gripe from the auto mags for a long time so it is good to see it finally happening. That sportwagon is looking quite appealing for a family as opposed to previous generation wagon.

Would prefer the sportwagon to an suv in Australia.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i read somewhere that with the extra airbags the Calais was in fact 5star NCAP.
Does this mean Holden can now tout that C'dore is in fact 5star for safety?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't imagine air conditioning not being something standard in the first place.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Has anyone got any pictures of the new Omega? I haven't seen the new grille-treatment, alloys or body colour door handles yet. It sounds like a good improvement. If anyone has any pictures of the updated Omega sedan can you tell me where they are or post them on here. Thanks

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sounds like the Omega has morphed into the Lumina pack.
The reason for the non-standard air was to advertise a lower price than Falc & to leave room for the 'goodies packs' like Lumina with std Air, alloys etc. Don't agree it was a good strategy but there you go. I will say though that the Lumina seems to have sold up a storm around here, there may have been something to it after all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't imagine air conditioning not being something standard in the first place.
I don't know why they have only just made air conditioning standard, but i can tell you that for about the last 10 years Holden have not build a Commodore with out it, that is unless it was a special request by the customer. And i'm betting that the number of Commodores built without A/C would number less than 100 or so for that period.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
I have only had air con in one car over 35 years of driving. Melbourne does have hot weather but I just opened the windows or if it was particularly hot i would put the car through a car wash to take the heat off. Really in Melbourne, where I have spent most of my driving life there are probably only 10-15 days a year where you would say you had to have air con. In the Benz that had it I think i used it more for demisting in winter than in cooling in summer but then I like heat - I wouldnt turn aircon on until it hit 30C. I guess it would be diffferent if my job had required me to be in the car during the day but that was seldom.
Here in Guangdong provence I would find it essential as not only do you have high temperatures but the humidity is high.
Also if I lived in the country I would definitely NOT want ABS. I have drivven gacrs with it on roads with gravel shoulders and it does not impress me one bit in that circumstance. Sure for city driving and counrty highways it is OK.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Commodore had a/c standard across the rang up until about 6 years ago, then they dropped it for some reason when the VY came out..... idiots!
Actually A/C has been optional on Executive for as long as I can remember. Holden used strategy this to highlight the Lumina, Equipe packs with std A/C (based on Exec).
I would love to have seen the look on a salesmans face when ordering a VZ Executive without A/C. I bet Holden did not have the ability to build a car without it. Does anyone know if Holden built such a car?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts