GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
It does look better in real world pics but I also don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 because I haven鈥檛 seen it in a while.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1958carnut

Registered
My 2 cents ~
1. The new design is on the busy side IMO, and the GMCs shown to date even moreso [GMC.com 'future vehicles'].
2. Overall, I think the Silverado EV will be appealing to most 'casual' truck buyers- those who only want a tightly-tonneau'd 5.5' bed and worry about what's the best tire shine product. But commercial & working truck owners aren't going to want this configuration.

Premium Member
News Contributor
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2 cents ~
1. The new design is on the busy side IMO, and the GMCs shown to date even moreso [GMC.com 'future vehicles'].
2. Overall, I think the Silverado EV will be appealing to most 'casual' truck buyers- those who only want a tightly-tonneau'd 5.5' bed and worry about what's the best tire shine product. But commercial & working truck owners aren't going to want this configuration.
There was a Q&A I was part of not long after the reveal, and I asked the question about Extended Cabs and Longer Bed....etc, the response I got was "Initially only the crew cab will be offered at introduction. Other body configurations will follow."

Seems like GM is doing the same as Ford - Offering the most popular bodystyle first, before other configurations are available.

Registered
Not bad鈥 Imagine how much I鈥檇 want one with a small block under the hood. I would really want one.

Reactions: RamJet502

Registered
I have doubts others are coming (for engineering reasons).
You鈥榙 doubt the rain even after getting soaked by it.

Registered
Looks miles better than it usually does in the Black color. Still gives me Avalanche and old Ridgeline from the C-pillar back. Doesn鈥檛 make or break my opinion of it. Still shouldn鈥檛 have the Silverado name on it. My only major gripe.

Registered
Still shouldn鈥檛 have the Silverado name on it. My only major gripe.
Why so? GM is going all in on EV's by 2035. Why would they abandon their #1 nameplate throughout this transition? The Lightning is considered a F150. Both manufacturers want the combined ICE/EV truck sales to count toward their overall sales crown, Ford even more so.

Registered
It wouldn't be engineering reasons. Other configurations are easy to engineer. If they don't come it would be due to the financial guys figuring that the cost of producing whatever configuration won't be made back in sales of said configuration.

Registered
From an engineering perspective, it is interesting the route Ford took to get to market first. As a result, there are accessories, parts, and bed configs available to them that fit the ICE F150.

On the other hand, GM's clean sheet design did not afford them that option and they're stuck with no competitor right now (unless you count the Hummer priced closed to top end Lightnings) BUT, personally I love the midgate on the Silverado EV and the creativity with the design.

Super Moderator
Is this a high-end configuration or a lower end? Anyone have an idea?
The most popular configuration for commercial fleet buyers is crew cab with short bed.
I'd have a tough time believing GM will walk away from a huge portion of their customer base and not offer a bunch of configurations.

Will they offer all the configurations on this first gen? I think that is the real question - Possibly not, but they'll still be selling the ICE Silverado with all the configurations side by side with the BEV version...

Registered
Looks miles better than it usually does in the Black color. Still gives me Avalanche and old Ridgeline from the C-pillar back. Doesn鈥檛 make or break my opinion of it. Still shouldn鈥檛 have the Silverado name on it. My only major gripe.
The Silverado badge can be removed. You could rename yours "Fred" or whatever you like.

Registered
Is this a high-end configuration or a lower end? Anyone have an idea?

I'd have a tough time believing GM will walk away from a huge portion of their customer base and not offer a bunch of configurations.

Will they offer all the configurations on this first gen? I think that is the real question - Possibly not, but they'll still be selling the ICE Silverado with all the configurations side by side with the BEV version...
The truck bed is pretty modular now ;)

Registered
^ As long as there's no one & nothing in the back seat.
I believe the back seat splits so you could technically still have one person(or stuff) in the backseat with the midgate open.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts