GM Inside News Forum banner

Silverado voltage a little high

82K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  richmond2000 
#1 ·
Hey techs,
I've been noticing my truck has been doing something a little odd. Normally when I drive it, the voltage meter on the dash points to 14 or below- right in the middle of the guage. Now it is between 14-16 and stays up that high even after an hour or so of driving. Is it charging more because it's very cold out, or could my battery possibly be going? It doesn't have any real trouble starting, but I don't want to wake up one day and have it dead. Let me know if it's normal or if I should have it checked. Thanks!

#2 ·
I'd let it ride. You won't get any warning about the battery, anyway! LOL! I had to replaced my original battery in my 99 about 4 months ago. I'm sure the next one won't last 9 1/2 years, though.

#9 ·
I would also suspect the battery being weak. But another thing to do is check the voltate at the battery with the truck running and compare it to the gauge. It is poosible that the gauge is a little off, as it is not meant to be a scientific instrument. Your battery light will generally come on if there are any issues other than a weak battery.

#10 ·
Really old thread but what the hell... lol
I'm having the same problem.

Have an 05 Silverado used to always hold at the center of the gauge too.
Last week it was moving a little more than usual, then a few days ago it was making be dizzy, anywhere from 11-16
And I had the battery light come on in the dash, at 16 no wonder lol
Blew out my high beams too.

Here's what I got with my multimeter:Battery itself (engine off): 12-12.1
Startup: 15.9-16.5
Mid warm up: 13.9
Fully warmed up: 12.5-12.9 on average but drops to 11 sometimes.

I replaced the voltage regulator in my alternator today.
My new results:
Startup: 13.9 then slowly rises to 14.6 as the engine warms up and holds there

From some of you guys sounds like that level is ok??
Although it's still higher than I'm used to, I'm guessing it was holding at 13.9 before.

The battery is only about a year old.

#12 ·
Okay well today it seemed to hold 14.7 with almost no variation. A drop to 13.9 for 2 or seconds now and then but that was it.

I thought 14.7 was high but I found an old post somewhere and he claimed 14.7 was the normal operating voltage on this truck. Can anyone confirm?

So maybe I got it.

Thanks,

Kenny

#15 ·
Holy ancient thread batman!!!!

Having said that

A high voltage reading of ~15 volts plus is a sure indication that your battery is on the way out
OR the battery wiring is corroded
a 2015 uses an ECM regulated alternator and if the Voltage at the ECM is low due to corrosion then the ECM will tell the alternator to raise the voltage till it "sees" the correct voltage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.