GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'06 loaded Z-71 ext cab, 5.3 HO, 30 months old, 51,000 miles.

Last August, "check engine" lite on, engine goes to reduced power. I limp to Chev dealer. Diag and finds 3 broken wires in TAC module, replaces erratic connector and tac module.

Yesterday, same symptons (Headed to beach on fishing trip). A Chev dealer dealer charges me $70 to put on scanner but can't fix, no parts in stock. Something about service bulletin on wiring harness. Cancel trip, limp home. Local dealer calls me today, needs new "throttle body" (I believe) at $459.

in 30 months...

bad factory alignment, 2 tires and re-align
bad steering shaft
bad steering shaft, second version
"check engine" limp to dealer
"check engine" cancel fishing trip, est. cost $529.

all again on a truck w/51,000 miles.

One reason I bought this truck (new) is been making it since year 2000. Thought it would be more trouble free after making it 7 years straight.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd wager that 1 in 10 cars from the factory are not aligned properly.

The steering shaft issue is not a safety or reliability concern, it just causes the noise intermittently, for whatever reason, GM does not have a proper fix for it.

The electronic throttlebody used in your vehicle is KNOWN to cause exactly the conditions you're having, and I find it doubtful that the TAC had anything to do with these symptoms.

So, I wish you good luck, and rest assured that though you may has some minor issues, that powertrain has been proven to go 250k+ miles without many major issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too sure how helpful your comments are.

I am kinda hoping Mr Shadam (IMO, a resident expert) will respond...note thread title "...GM Tech ?'s" Maybe my question (s) wasn't clear.

"Do any GM Techs have info about wiring harness/TAC/broken wiring/harness service bulletins/throttle bodies on '06 5.3's?" My 2000 same truck ran 120,000 flawless miles w/o any of the above problems.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I hear you. I've been having a nagging issue with my truck that the dealership "can't duplicate". I think a new Ford or Toyota would solve the problem for both of us.

I know that the problem is...the same issue with the guage cluster as on the Trailblazer. Only, it's hit or miss with the Silverado and every time I take it to the dealership WHILE it is making the noise, they don't have time to look at it. At one point, a tech said that he was too busy to check it, but stuck his head in my truck and heard the noise...he immediately said "guages". Now that frustrates me a bit....This is a Chevy dealership. They know what problems that Chevrolets have- and even admitted that my complaint is very common...yet the won't order the correct part or do any warranty work until they hear the noise again.

The tech at the Chevy dealer just called me back and said that they couldn't duplicate the problem (for the 3rd time this month...what a surprise). They are familiar with the guage cluster problem on the Silverados, Trailblazers, and Tahoes....but they don't take my word for it.

I am seriously considering trading in this Silverado because of all the frustration with the noise and trying to get it repaired.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not too sure how helpful your comments are.

I am kinda hoping Mr Shadam (IMO,
"Do any GM Techs have info about wiring harness/TAC/broken wiring/harness service bulletins/throttle bodies on '06 5.3's?" My 2000 same truck ran 120,000 flawless miles w/o any of the above problems.
So, why don't you just PM him directly if you're only looking for HIS advice?
I find it strange that you're openly stating you want the advice of one GM tech over another. But, whatever.

Sounds like both of you have dealership specific issues. I would recommend you go to a different dealership, explain the situation to the service manager and see if you can get different results.

PS- The 2000 Silverado still had a cable actuated throttle body. We never saw these issues with the "old school" design. Furthermore, I've personally had the electronic throttlebodies freeze in place on cold nights which leads to them trying to draw too much voltage and shorting out.

Have a nice weekend.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Cheer up fish factory, I've had worse luck than you! I had the same prob with my throttle body and was stranded at home. They replaced it under warranty.

I had my truck in for 7-8 times because of my intermediate shaft. They finally got it right after GM spend untold hundreds of dollars replacing parts that were ok to begin with.

Last Thanksgiving on our way to the inlaws my tranny screwed up. That was exciting! They had to replace a bunch of junk and now seems to be doing fine.

No matter how bad you seem to think things are, they can always be worse. I just bought an extended warranty and advise you to do the same. It's a good truck but like everything- they have their problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheer up fish factory, I've had worse luck than you! I had the same prob with my throttle body and was stranded at home. They replaced it under warranty.

I had my truck in for 7-8 times because of my intermediate shaft. They finally got it right after GM spend untold hundreds of dollars replacing parts that were ok to begin with.

Last Thanksgiving on our way to the inlaws my tranny screwed up. That was exciting! They had to replace a bunch of junk and now seems to be doing fine.

No matter how bad you seem to think things are, they can always be worse. I just bought an extended warranty and advise you to do the same. It's a good truck but like everything- they have their problems.
:tup:::tup:::tup::

I never knew these "throttle by wire" trucks were so un-reliable. Anyone carry a spare throttle body?, looks easy to install.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have never replaced a throttle body for any throttle by wire issues with these trucks.The biggest issue with that system is the ground wire for the TAC module.It sounds like you need someone who actually knows what they are doing to diagnose your truck.I would also contact customer assistance considering you have had some prior issues with the the truck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never replaced a throttle body for any throttle by wire issues with these trucks.The biggest issue with that system is the ground wire for the TAC module.It sounds like you need someone who actually knows what they are doing to diagnose your truck.I would also contact customer assistance considering you have had some prior issues with the the truck.

This is exactly as I thought. I saved the old TB. Wish I knew how to check it out.

·
Banned
158 Posts
there is a pi out on broken wires and or loose connections at the throttle body for that year truck,ive repaired a few of them but g103 and g104 grounds are common as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chevrolet Customer Service comes thru!:)

One call and a very professional Chev rep took care of the $459 bill. She made EVERY call to me (after my original complaint). A pleasure to deal with.

I am not one to bash Honda/Toyota....but....nothing like the negative hassel I got from Honda CS once.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess what?

Truck would hardly run....again. Had to be towed outta my driveway. Afraid it would not make dealership. Same symptoms, "reduced power", this time I think I heard backfires from air cleaner.

How hard would it be to convert to old throttle cable throttle body? This is third failure in 30 months.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
So sorry to hear that. I hope you get it worked out. I would be really pissed off if I had to shell out $450 a pop for this problem. It should not cost you anything because the part has a 1 year warranty- corrrect?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chevrolet was kind enough to reimburse me for the throttle body replacement, and yes the warranty on repairs is one year. Truck had to be towed from my house, afraid to drive, hence the new $82 bill. Bigger problem for me is relibility. Looks like the local Chev dealer (Rick Hendricks flagship dealer City Chevrolet, remember "Days of Thunder")? More like "Days of Blunder" now. Forgot to re-program per some bulletins they included in the bill. They also forgot to list codes set, as I had ask with a big note attached over speedo, and forgot to assign work to a mechanic I had asked for by name.

Check out documents #'s 1869129 and 1863892 and explain (decode) them to me. Looks like they want to blame some problems on pulling a trailer, or having a ladder rack.

Sometimes it's hard to drive a Chevy. For me at least, a Toy is too ugly and hard on gas, and a Ridgeline is too weak to pull a boat.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i havent run into any trucks with a throttle by wire problem yet, had a couple equinox's and some malibus, but thats it. a couple throttle body failures, but mostly end up being a correlation problem from the throttle pedal to the throttle body.

i agree that 3 times over is a joke. shouldnt never happen. really disappointing from a technician stand point.

what deal did you make with the devil to never had a steering shaft problem on your 2000 truck?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My 2000 ext Z-71 3-door was either the very best or 2nd best vehicle I have ever owned (first might have been a 94 Silverado). 120,000 miles and 1 battery, 1 front end alignment, original brakes. Ran great and pulled boat to the Keys a couple of times with over 100K miles on it. Never a steering shaft problem. FWIW, IMO my 84 ElCamino (305-4) would be #3.

Current '06 is essentially the same truck. I was dead wrong thinking the longer Chevy made the truck, the better they would get at it.

Nice Camaro. Will I be seeing it on "Pinks" anytime soon?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
thank you, and absolutely not. i dont have that kind of money to throw out if i lose.

i like my car, and i dont want to lose it for something stupid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So much for the kudos to GM for reimbursing me for throttle body replacement. Looking thru the warranty, looks like throttle body and associated parts have an 80k mi emissions warranty. Local Chev dealer was wrong to charge me in the first place.

Oh, and by the way, TAC/throttle body/PCM has failed again...stranded me (fourth time) w/check engine light on, reduced power, blah, blah....

any ideas?

this is 4th breakdown, anyone know about lemon laws? I dont think truck can be fixed.

·
Registered
902 Posts
So much for the kudos to GM for reimbursing me for throttle body replacement. Looking thru the warranty, looks like throttle body and associated parts have an 80k mi emissions warranty. Local Chev dealer was wrong to charge me in the first place.

Oh, and by the way, TAC/throttle body/PCM has failed again...stranded me (fourth time) w/check engine light on, reduced power, blah, blah....

any ideas?

this is 4th breakdown, anyone know about lemon laws? I dont think truck can be fixed.
First off you need to know what codes are set.I have had several of these trucks with ground wires that are allmost loose.This will usually cause your same problem.It will set a loss of communication code.There is also a TAC module which is mounted to the firewall.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
First off you need to know what codes are set.I have had several of these trucks with ground wires that are allmost loose.This will usually cause your same problem.It will set a loss of communication code.There is also a TAC module which is mounted to the firewall.

from my stack of repair orders..

3 broken wires in TAC module (replaced TAC)
PO220 and P2135
replace throttle body
re-program PCM
PO220 and P2135, replace TAC

I have NOT pulled a BobCat w/this truck! I have pulled a boat with it.

Just went out and looked under hood, where is TAC on firewall?

The group of white wires from throttle body runnin about 10 inches to larger wiring harness are hanging out in the open. They used to be protected by elect tape. Seems to me such important wires should be protected somehow?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts