GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife fired up the 06 2500HD 4X4 6.0, 25,000 miles. Pulled out of the driveway, no brakes, no power steering. Pulled it slowly back in the drive, brakes go to floor, still no power steering. E-brake worked to stop it to park. She starts it up a little later and hears a loud screeching like a belt slipping.
I get home a little later and start it, everything is now working fine. Weird!! Wife drives a school bus, I trust her description of what she experienced. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?
Ted

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I assume that truck has hydroboost, which means the p/stg pump runs the steering assist & power brake boost...

You had braking, albeit terribly hard to depress the pedal without stopping...

P/stg pump issue? Belt issue? PS fluid leak???

Wouldn't hurt to see a dealer...

·
Registered
34 Posts
It sounds like you may have Hydro-Boost brakes that work off power steering pump pressure. If the belt was making noise it could be a belt, belt tension or power steering pump problem. I'm glad your PARKING brake worked well. Get it to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
you probably have a problem with the pump. or something with the hydro boost, had both of them fail on several occurances. quite common.

do pumps regularly. pumps fail - the main shaft where the pulley rides, it usually breaks where it is splined internally to the pump. take a pry bar and push against the pulley to pull it away from the pump, if it moves away from the pump, you know its a bad pump.
really common failure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, dealer had it 3 days, can't find anything wrong. I have a feeling it will do it again though. Probably at a bad time rather than in the driveway. I feel it is irresponsible to drive something that I know has a problem. I guess I'll have to start on the GM 800 number and start raising holy hell. Been there before with a 91 S10 and I gotta say, I really hate this game.
Ted

·
Registered
34 Posts
How is the dealer going to fix the problem if the vehicle is now working fine? Did you duplicate the problem and demonstrate that to the dealer? Do you want him to guess on what might have been the problem. Sure there are some preliminary checks that can be made but if all check out and you can't show him the problem, what do you want him to do? What if something got on the belt on the day of the failure and caused the belt to slip for a short time. Maybe a large insect, grease from the road or a piece of vegatation caused the belt to slip. Evidently it was slipping because you said the belt made a noise when it was restarted. Most likely the problem would not exist now if the belt was contaminated. Go ahead and raise holy hell as you say, I'm sure you can get to the bottom of the issue now. I'm going to the Dr. today and I think I will tell him I had a stomach ache 3 weeks ago and I will expect him to tell me what caused it!

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
That's what happens when you let a WOMAN drive your truck!! They mess everything up! ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. If the dealer checked it out and said it was all clear, I'd start putting it back on the road. If it happened again- then I'd raise holy hell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Factory, I feel you miss my point. My wife uses the truck to pull the horse trailer. Imagine loosing brakes and steering while pulling onto a busy road with close to 10,000# behind you.
First thing I did was give the belt a very close look. I saw no evidence of contamination, nothing. Checked fluid, looked good. I seriously doubt it was a belt problem. I'm thinking the pump locked up for whatever reason. I fully expect it to happen again. I just hope it happens in the driveway again rather than in a dangerous situation.
Rock, That's probably what I will do. I called the Chevy 800# and got a file started to document the problem. That's about all I can do at this point. A call to the NTSB might be in order too.
I'm real curious how many people have had this happen to their truck.
Ted

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i had one that i chased for a while, it ended up being a restricted power steering cooler.

have had a few that have had bad steering gears as well.

had one or two for pressure moses that are porous or they leak at the pressure fittings

either way, if the dealer cant duplicate the problem, well then they cant duplicate it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard there is a check valve in the system that could stick. Anyone know where that check valve is located?
Ted

·
Registered
1 Posts
Factory, I feel you miss my point. My wife uses the truck to pull the horse trailer. Imagine loosing brakes and steering while pulling onto a busy road with close to 10,000# behind you.
First thing I did was give the belt a very close look. I saw no evidence of contamination, nothing. Checked fluid, looked good. I seriously doubt it was a belt problem. I'm thinking the pump locked up for whatever reason. I fully expect it to happen again. I just hope it happens in the driveway again rather than in a dangerous situation.
Rock, That's probably what I will do. I called the Chevy 800# and got a file started to document the problem. That's about all I can do at this point. A call to the NTSB might be in order too.
I'm real curious how many people have had this happen to their truck.
Ted

Hey there Ted. I had a very similar problem this past weekend - scared me to drive my 2002 1500 manual transmission v6 4x4 truck. Was cruzing up the highway in rain and all of a sudden the battery light came on the message console. The power steering cut out, (was going about 70 mph). luckily a rest stop was about 2thousand feet ahead. I went to pull off and that is when I notices that my power brakes were cut too. my engine sounded funny and was garbling and eventually cut out as I barely made the stop in a parking space. long story shorter - I tried to restart the engine and it was faltering and eventually cutting out. I went inside waited about 20 minutes, came back out and it started up. No problems with anything since and I put about 400+ miles on it over the next couple days. Let me know how your problem works out - would be happy to add my complaint to what you filed with GM's phone number. Let me know how I can help as I thought my electrical shorted due to rain water kicking up or something and planned to start replacing.resealing related wires. Will be checking the pump and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06 Silverado 2500HD diesel 4x4 with 37K miles. Last week I started the engine after the truck sat unused for about 4 weeks-No power steering and no power brakes! No unusual engine sounds, i.e. belt squeal, etc. After engine idled for about 3-4 minutes both power steering and brakes came back. Since then drove truck over 600 miles without problems. All fluid levels checked OK. Belt checked OK visually. Talked to a Chev. dealer-said "maybe a 'stuck valve'...may never happen again"-Not a comforting response! Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions? Don't want a similar power assist failure while driving!

·
Registered
122 Posts
When you have a new question, it is best to select "New Thread" at the top left and start your on discussion...

Anyway this would depend on the *specific* power steering system you have and the *specific* power brake system you have.

If they are both electronic, then it is possible your vehicle had a low charge on the battery. Some electronic systems will not function right if there is not enough electricity to power them.

And if they are both electronic, then I think the only things in common would be a vehicle speed signal, and a computer local area network.

I don't know if the abscense of the vehicle speed sensor signal would cause these things to not work? Note that this signal is also used for the speedometer. So if this happens again, check to see if the speedometer is working. Also if the vehicle speed sensor signal was missing, I would think you would get a check engine light and a diagnostic code for this.

The other thing in common is the local area computer network over which the vehicle speed sensor signal is communicated to the various electronic modules. However again, if this was not working, you would get a check engine light and a diagnostic code.

Therefore I would guess a low voltage on the battery for now. These newer vehicles have a constant drain on the battery due to so many electrical things in them. So leaving it sit for 4 weeks probably drained the battery.

There are solar battery "maintainers" available like at the following link. This keeps the battery charged. And this is good if you have your vehicle parked for an extended period like at an airport. (Park in the sun.)
http://www.siliconsolar.com/12v-solar-battery-maintainer-2_4w-p-16677.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax and just experienced the same problem tonight. I tried everything letting it sit, ect. and it has not come back. I am going to have it towed to the dealership. Any luck with GM footing some of the bill?

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced this same problem with my 2007 Chevy Duramax. Yesterday it did it for the second time. I let it idle for 11 minutes and the ps and pb never 'woke up'. 4 hours later I checked the ps fluid. When removing the cap, it blew some fluid out and the level was above the hot full mark. Have never added fluid. The truck has 11,000 mile on it. The dealer sent a transport to pick it up. Will post the outcome when I know what it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there Ted. I had a very similar problem this past weekend - scared me to drive my 2002 1500 manual transmission v6 4x4 truck. Was cruzing up the highway in rain and all of a sudden the battery light came on the message console. The power steering cut out, (was going about 70 mph). luckily a rest stop was about 2thousand feet ahead. I went to pull off and that is when I notices that my power brakes were cut too. my engine sounded funny and was garbling and eventually cut out as I barely made the stop in a parking space. long story shorter - I tried to restart the engine and it was faltering and eventually cutting out. I went inside waited about 20 minutes, came back out and it started up. No problems with anything since and I put about 400+ miles on it over the next couple days. Let me know how your problem works out - would be happy to add my complaint to what you filed with GM's phone number. Let me know how I can help as I thought my electrical shorted due to rain water kicking up or something and planned to start replacing.resealing related wires. Will be checking the pump and let you know what I find.
Today as i was backing form parking space my 2008 Silverado lost steering and braking power, pushed on brakes and was hard and nothing, no steering either. After pulling back into parking space sit for a minute and tried steering, heard a pop like a stuck valve and steering and brakes were normal. Taking it to dealer tomorrow, hope they find the problem!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Ted I have had the same problems with my 02 hd 6.0 litter Silverado I've replaced the power steering pump and hydroboost system with no luck what so ever. But there's a speed sensitive sensor in the power steering pump as well as a pressure sensor in the hydroboost unit. I'm not sure what's next for me but I agree with u don't let your wife drive it if you don't feel 100% possitive the problem is gone. Mine does it all the time now. If yours does it intermideiatly I would try flushing the power steering fluied out with fresh fluied. Might help if not fix the problem

1 - 20 of 32 Posts