GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Working under any emergency jack like this without supports is stupid, but I still think that this design could easily have been made better with a deeper cup or V design. I see from the picture that it isn't just flat, which is better than nothing, but for the random person who is going to jack their vehicle up on the side of the road once every decade, it wouldn't have been hard to make something more foolproof.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If GM thinks its ok to design an ignition switch that could kill you I guess seeing their design engineers and managers happy to allow a simple jack inherently designed to create a second emergency to a flat tire on the road... is not much of a stretch.

Makes me recall an old saw: You don't mess with General Motors.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If GM thinks its ok to design an ignition switch that could kill you I guess seeing their design engineers and managers happy to allow a simple jack inherently designed to create a second emergency to a flat tire on the road... is not much of a stretch.

Makes me recall an old saw: You don't mess with General Motors.
Give it a rest. This thread is absolutely ridiculous.

You should have bought a used truck so you could afford the 2-ton jack when it goes on sale for $50 at Autozone next month.

Using an emergency jack as a maintenance tool. Jeezuz

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
23 Posts
This is still going on? I think the original poster should just take his vehicle back to Chevy. The real elephant in the room that no one seems to notice is:

Why on Earth would you need to jack up a pick-up truck to put mudflaps on it when all you have to do is turn the wheel to allow for access to the wheel-well?

Just installed them on a Sierra with no thoughts of raising the vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Problem solved (I hope). I just bought a pair of 3-ton jack stands. Since that Chevy junk jack they gave me still terrorizes I'll keep one stand in the cab and hope it is never needed while on the road.

Love my big, brawny new Chevy rear mud flaps, think they are worth every penny I paid Chevy for them. I drew the line, however, when they were willing to install them for me, but at my expense. They wanted 40 bucks. These flaps come as a kit requiring extra hole drilling which requires removal of the tire. I did the job in my nice garage after first shooing away them pesky elephants. I saved $40 and learned Chevy don't know about Jack.

Perhaps a reply to you indignant detractors is warranted, though I do forgive you. On second thought.... Kiss Off!

All things considered this Silverado is the best Chevy I've ever owned. Truly a delight to drive. I might know a teeny little about that since this is my 7th Chevy, and very first new one. ('58 Bel Aire, '65 (Impala hard top), '65 Impala wagon, '70 Impala wagon, '73 Vista Cruiser, '78 Caprice, '96 Tahoe.) True, that '65 Impala wagon I had will always remain dearest to my heart.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yeah, I've owned 18 chevy's and a total of 55 vehicles. I have also ALWAYS used shop jacks and stands at the shops or at home. Congrats on you taking the big step installing your own mud guards. Now you can take the $40 you saved and put it toward a quality 2.5 ton floor jack. Once you start buying tools, you will find out why shops charge what they do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Don't need no floor jack. Got one. As I originally explained, the whole purpose was to become familiar with how well or poorly the emergency jack performs. Lesson learned. I'm no motor-head. I do like knowing what lies ahead that can hurt me. Have no trouble poking them in the eye who put me at risk.

I'm going to apply that saved $40 to a nice rubber bed mat.
. Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just attempted to use my new jack and this was the result. It completely came apart while raising it. It stopped raising long before it got the vehicle off the ground and then I couldn’t even lower it. What a piece of crap.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I just attempted to use my new jack and this was the result. It completely came apart while raising it. It stopped raising long before it got the vehicle off the ground and then I couldn’t even lower it. What a piece of crap. View attachment 64133

Wow!

I know this is an old thread - but that is terrible, especially for a critical safety component. What type of vehicle?

GM recently issued safety recalls for certain year Chevrolet Trailblazer and Buick Encore models due to a poorly designed and manufactured jack that could collapse: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V440-4001.pdf

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
When I had my flat at 3 weeks, I saw first hand what a poor excuse for a jack I had on board.
First order of business was sticking a small floor jack behind the seat , with a criss-cross wrench to get some leverage on the lug nuts.

That's why I only wanted to spend $20k on a new truck- I knew GM would "cheap out" and cut corners wherever they could.
Indeed. A floor or hydraulic jack, and some jack stands and an actual useful wrench belong in the to-go kit. I long ago quit using the stuff you find in the trunk.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a very similar compact hyd jack as my go-to for pretty much all my garage work. The jack is temporary, as I then use HD jack stands once up. I would not mind if my truck came with it at all

41 - 58 of 58 Posts